Should a business be allowed to exclude the unvaccinated?

Should a business be allowed to exclude the unvaccinated?

• Yes

Votes: 52 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 5.8%

• Total voters
Fair enough. But you have to admit for a lawyer it’s a somewhat strange angle. No I’m not throwing shade that you aren’t a lawyer I believe you are, much more so than most of our “Holiday Inn Express last night” claimants.

I am.

I used to really be interested in the theory of government, individual rights, social contract... all that crap.

My job makes me more day to day practical.

Yeah, businesses should be able to exclude in employment and services. This is supposed to be free country.

Reactions: AM64
I am.

I used to really be interested in the theory of government, individual rights, social contract... all that crap.

My job makes me more day to day practical.
I believe you are a lawyer but I do enjoy the occasional poke that you aren’t.

But based on your own stated professionally based hobby reading how do you think the “entity” of the US government could be given the same protections as the citizens. The intent of most of our founding documents are to keep the damn feds off the citizens back. Of course in practice the bastards violate that premise routinely but that was the intent.

What about government services? Can the government say its not going to give you a service if you don't meet its criteria?

If the rules (criteria) of the program are lawfully (within the power granted to the government by the people) set than yes although the libertarian in me would prefer to minimize the instances where government is in the business of providing services to individuals.

No they aren’t. This isn’t 1960 anymore and that worn out rhetoric won’t fly. Anybody posting a “No Colored People Allowed” sign in today’s setting would get universally roasted by everyone.

Are you saying the implications wouldn't be bad because people wouldn't tolerate "no unvaccinated people allowed" signs the same way they wouldn't tolerate "no colored people allowed" signs?

Those two things are not equivalent at all. Maybe it won't happen, but if it does it will obviously be awful. Pushing for legislation/encouraging and getting businesses to exclude large swaths of the population could easily be disastrous.

Are you saying the implications wouldn't be bad because people wouldn't tolerate "no unvaccinated people allowed" signs the same way they wouldn't tolerate "no colored people allowed" signs?

Those two things are not equivalent at all. Maybe it won't happen, but if it does it will obviously be awful. Pushing for legislation/encouraging and getting businesses to exclude large swaths of the population could easily be disastrous.
I inferred you were drawing a hyperbolic parallel to the 1960’s racist attitudes having broad support in the community. If you weren’t doing that then my inference was off.

If I saw a “no unvaccinated people allowed” sign I’d just go elsewhere even though I’m vaccinated.

If I saw a “no coloreds allowed” sign to day I’d go in and call the owner a racist MFer and give him the bird and actively encourage people to shun the business and I think at least the shunning part would be the majority response today. Not so in the 1960’s

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
I voted yes because people should be free to discriminate based on whatever they see fit. The market will punish them if they get out of line. If you aren’t free to say no then you really aren’t free.

will the market punish them?

Show me how one punishes your electric company.

Show me how one punishes your water company or trash company.

Show me how one punishes OPEC.

This idea that our economy is completely free is false.

What if your electric company suddenly decided it didn’t like your hair color and turned off your AC for good? There is no secondary market to go to in most areas.

The world has decided monopolies are allowed now and people need to realize that choice is becoming less and less an option.

Literally about 20 companies own ever single business someone deals with. Berkshire Hathaway, Kraft, Pepsi, Coke, Ferraro. These companies alone could choose to stop doing business with you and your life would get very very difficult quickly.

This isn’t a world of free and open trade anymore.

Literally about 20 companies own ever single business someone deals with. Berkshire Hathaway, Kraft, Pepsi, Coke, Ferraro. These companies alone could choose to stop doing business with you and your life would get very very difficult quickly.

How would coke or Pepsi stop doing business with me?

Walking a very thin legal line here as if you turn someone away who does not have the vaccine and is excluded due to a disability then that business is in real hot water.

The person with the disability would also not need to state this and could simply walk away or a person could lie and say yes the have a disability and are excluded and then come in an infect someone and the business could be liable.

It’s the same as snow on a business tenants property. If it’s the landlords job per the lease and the tenant doesn’t touch it and someone slips the lessor is on the hook but if it’s the lessors job and the lessee touches it and someone slips then the lessee has brought the liability on him.

A smart business owner stays completely out of this mix and leaves it up to the CDC.

As a paralegal I am sure your bosses may have briefed you on how volatile this could be.
A business owner shouldn't lose too much sleep over that scenario. He probably has a greater chance of his building burning down tonight.

will the market punish them?

Show me how one punishes your electric company.

Show me how one punishes your water company or trash company.

Show me how one punishes OPEC.

This idea that our economy is completely free is false.

What if your electric company suddenly decided it didn’t like your hair color and turned off your AC for good? There is no secondary market to go to in most areas.

The world has decided monopolies are allowed now and people need to realize that choice is becoming less and less an option.

This isn’t a world of free and open trade anymore.

As I pointed out in another thread, our current US culture doesn't actually believe in competition to improve the product. We are all about destructive competition, and ONE winner. Look at football, look at what bowl games were vs a NC, look at conferences and the realignment into super conferences that are too big to have enough weekends during football season to have real conference competition. I'd probably disagree some with you about utilities based on the TX model chaos vs semi reasonable regulated utilities. Power line and water line duplication is messy, but the nice thing about not living in the city limits is that we have a lot of competition for garbage service and don't pay an unreasonable fee for city garbage service ... or garbage city service.

Reactions: NEO
A business owner shouldn't lose too much sleep over that scenario. He probably has a greater chance of his building burning down tonight.

I promise you that you would be wrong.

Way more business owners deal with lawsuits than they do burned down buildings.

VN Store

Back