So the Tuohy's were phonies (Michael Oher)

Hmm...disappointing...to my knowledge it is required to graduate from high school (or equivalent) to be admitted to
a degree program in college. High school dropouts can be admitted with non-degree status -- that might depend on the college.
Ole Miss's standards might have been that anyone who graduated from high school could be admitted to Ole Miss.

So we've gone from "they took a whole bunch of his money" to "they committed massive NCAA violations."
The article was pretty vague but the judge is going to allow the case to go on. (I think I know where you were going, lol)
Oher conservatorship to end amid legal battle
A Tennessee judge said Friday that she is ending a conservatorship.... but the highly publicized dispute over financial issues will continue.
I like to think the financials about the book & movie deals will get opened, both sides will realize it's been a complete misunderstanding, and they all live happily every after like a (legally non binding) family.
Supposition on my part here. If the Tuohy's have acted untowards (which I'm not inclined to believe) with Oher's conservatorship & NIL, the financials from their charities/foundations will be too obfuscated to indicate it.

I love how much the contents between the pages of Michael Lewis's book and the movie's portrayal, which are both absolutely irrelevant, have been discussed in this thread.

Reactions: VolNExile
I'm holding a wait and see approach on this. Why now?

He's been retired from the NFL for nearly a decade now.

I wonder if he's currently got the wrong people in his ear and he/they have already blown through his NFL bank account and is needing money.
I have a feeling this is factoring in heavily.

They took in a practically homeless high school kid that had it pretty rough and it seems he had It real good from then .

Now did they do right by him as for as the movie? 🤷🏻‍♂️

They took in a practically homeless high school kid that had it pretty rough and it seems he had It real good from then .

The perspective needs to be very clear on the Tuohy family. They were big Ole Miss supporters.

Their primary motivation was to help Ole Miss and helping Other was a way to do that. Somehow misconstruing their actions as being primarily to help Oher is likely very incorrect. They've not done anything like that since to the best of my knowledge.

What the movie did was create the notion that the Tuohy family "wanted to help Oher" but the reality was they wanted to help Ole Miss get Oher.

The perspective needs to be very clear on the Tuohy family. They were big Ole Miss supporters.

Their primary motivation was to help Ole Miss and helping Other was a way to do that. Somehow misconstruing their actions as being primarily to help Oher is likely very incorrect. They've not done anything like that since to the best of my knowledge.

What the movie did was create the notion that the Tuohy family "wanted to help Oher" but the reality was they wanted to help Ole Miss get Oher.
You don’t know that. Most likely it was both.
You said they haven’t done nothing like that since.
Why not? Don’t care about Ole Miss anymore?
See how that works? It can be used either way and proves nothing either way.

Reactions: Sarms58
I don't but they were familiar with Oher via their connection to him being recruited by Ole Miss, not some "social work" they routinely are involved in.

So if you want to believe "their heart was touched" by the situation, that's your right but it's not at all unusual for donors to magically make things happen for recruits and their family, especially pre-NIL and especially at Ole Miss at that time.

I don't but they were familiar with Oher via their connection to him being recruited by Ole Miss, not some "social work" they routinely are involved in.

So if you want to believe "their heart was touched" by the situation, that's your right but it's not at all unusual for donors to magically make things happen for recruits and their family, especially pre-NIL and especially at Ole Miss at that time.
Then you know more than the movie portrays then because it has them seeing him walking an didn’t know who he was until their kids, who went to school with him Told them who he was.

So you’re posting what you think supports your already decided narrative.

I have a feeling you are just as clueless as I am on what actually is the truth but if want to believe that then more power to you.

I remain skeptical that either side is as they would have you believe.

You mean they haven't bought a player since then? Which one?

Reactions: VolDave53
I don’t know about buying one.
I don’t think they have let one live with them.
You going by the movie? My son had at least three friends stay with us for a period of time. You know what the difference was? The kid just needed a family for a minute. We didn't have an ulterior motive for loving them.

The whole guardian thing was a sham to steer him to Ole Piss. They couldn’t adopt him they they got conservatorship over an 18 year old and guided him.

No, they apparently lied to him and exploited the crap out of him for their own financial benefit and some version of creds.

So yeah, he probably benefited on a personal level to some extent, but he was most certainly exploited by the Ohers for their own benefit.

“No harm, no foul” does not apply here.

Reactions: UTFanHades
No, they apparently lied to him and exploited the crap out of him for their own financial benefit and some version of creds.

So yeah, he probably benefited on a personal level to some extent, but he was most certainly exploited by the Ohers for their own benefit.

Key word : apparently.
You then say most certainly. Proof or hearsay.
If you got proof I’d love to see it.

Whatever, It sure did take him a loooooong time to decide he was exploited

If it is true that "there are a lot of not just unusual, but shocking and maybe never before seen things [in the Tuohys' use of guardianship in Oher's case], for even attorneys experienced in this area," as two professors of trusts and estates have stated (#288), the Bar needs to look into the judge too.
Interesting series of posts-thanks for posting

I've vacationed in Las Vegas 35 separate times since 2007. I've stayed at The Palazzo, The Encore, Caesar's Palace, The Four Seasons at Mandalay Bay, The Hotel at Mandalay Bay (now known as Delano), Mandalay Bay, The Paris, The New York New York, The Mirage (RIP), Aria, The LINQ, Bally's, The Orleans, The Luxor and Excalibur. I've always had a great time. To each his own.
1-800-GAMBLER

Exie, this legal arrangement was 100% about getting Oher to Ole Miss. Nothing more, nothing less....

I know it's been talked about in the Zone before but my better half was ineligible to play for TCU because there was no formal arrangement with the TCU boosters she lived with the last 2 yrs of hs....

This is insane....

With the Tuohy's.... his net worth is 16-25 Mil
Without the Tuohy's his net worth is probably a victim of his surroundings, prison, dead, alive.....who knows but definitely no where near 16-25 Mil.

This is insane....

Without the Tuohy's his net worth is probably a victim of his surroundings, prison, dead, alive.....who knows but definitely no where near 16-25 Mil.
This statement is ridiculous. You need to educate yourself. First thing you need to do is look up what white savior complex or white saviorism is.

This is insane....

Not true, he was already being recruited by multiple schools when the Tuohy’s showed up. Even without them he would have gone to an elite program (probably TN) and would make it to the NFL

VN Store

Back