So the Tuohy's were phonies (Michael Oher)

It should not surprise anyone that the true nature of their relationship with each other revolved around mutual financial ambitions. Basically, how much money they both stood to make by selling their "story."

No movie that sappy is ever going to be authentic. It's pure greed, but I think it goes both ways.

Everyone benefited..

Tuohys got attention and highest rated Shelby County recruit ever to Ole Miss

Oher got off the streets

Freeze parlayed it into an assistant coaching gig at Ole Miss

Everyone benefited..

Tuohys got attention and highest rated Shelby County recruit ever to Ole Miss

Oher got off the streets

Freeze parlayed it into an assistant coaching gig at Ole Miss
I guess you could argue that nothing was wrong with it (except for the dishonesty). Oher certainly wasn't exploited. The Tuohy's are opportunists. Their "helping hand" to Oher came with strings attached.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
"Michael Oher discovered this lie to his chagrin and embarrassment in February of 2023, when he learned that the Conservatorship to which he consented on the basis that doing so would make him a member of the Tuohy family, in fact provided him no familial relationship with the Tuohys."
Feel bad for Michael getting screwed

I think there were people skeptical of the Tuohy’s and their supposed story all along. Looks like they may have been correct.[/QUOTE
I think there were people skeptical of the Tuohy’s and their supposed story all along. Looks like they may have been correct.
A lot of people I know from Memphis always said that the story was bs and they also used to say the Tuoys aren’t good people. Glad Michael is doing something about getting scammed by them.

The Tuohys always struck me as gold-plated phonies. The fact they are friends with the Rev. Hugh Freeze tells me a lot, too.

Is the complaint true? I have no idea. but I am in no way whatsoever shocked by the allegations.

Hugh Freeze. We gotta let that one go someday. Or not.

My SIL lives in Collierville. See's that woman around town now and again. Has always said she's a piece of work and that the word around Collierville has always been the movie was an exercise in embellishment if not outright fabrication.

My SIL lives in Collierville. See's that woman around town now and again. Has always said she's a piece of work and that the word around Collierville has always been the movie was an exercise in embellishment if not outright fabrication.
My mom and stepdad lived in the Halle Plantation subdivision of Collierville from 1989-2014.

Here is the football practice scene from "The Blind Side," that I was talking about up above. It is a MUST see. Somehow, Sandra Bullock won an Academy Award for this cheese covered crap.

Everyone who hasn't seen The Blind Side, should watch this first ... and then watch volfanhill's spoof video with Peyton Manning.

The Tuohys always struck me as gold-plated phonies. The fact they are friends with the Rev. Hugh Freeze tells me a lot, too.

Is the complaint true? I have no idea. but I am in no way whatsoever shocked by the allegations.

But, it's just hard seeing Tim McGraw being phony. 🤔

Interesting story which alleges the Tuohy's never adopted Michael Oher and tricked him into being his conservator's. I know Michael wanted to come to UT and play for Fulmer, but felt a little pressure from the Tuohy's to attend their alma mater. Definitely tarnishes the feel good book and movie.

'Blind Side' subject Oher alleges adoption was lie[/QUOTE}

That's One side of the story. Always 2 sides. My motto is "Don't say anything until you know everything." Jwf.

I'm not sure. You can make an argument that he isn't any better off for having come across the Tuohys. The movie, needless to say, isn't really what happened. He wasn't plucked off a rainy street one night, having no idea how to play football until introduced to the game by them.

He was cared for by many different families in high school, including the Tuohys, and he had already emerged as a prized recruit by the time they "adopted" him. Even if he never stayed with them, he still would have gone to a major CFB program - hell, perhaps a better program than Ole Miss, because he was steered there by them. If he played at that program as well as he played at Ole Miss, he still would have been a high draft pick. We almost certainly would have still heard of Michael Oher if he never met them.

I cannot disagree with anything you wrote.

Simple truth is brother, I have seen your name (or s/n) on this board for years just like you have probably seen mine. Like it or not we are in the minority. Most people will say they like CFB, but for the lions share it's something fun to do in the fall.

Guys like you, me, and scores of other UT fans are a bit different though. We're checking these message boards daily in March looking for the slightest bit of news, etc. We have a mental countdown in our heads at all times and know when the next "football time in Tennessee" will be down to the exact number of days, etc. Right?

Ditto the fanbases for every other team in existence

You and I, as you say we're gonna know who Michael Oher is/was no matter what. Now when we look at our more casual Vol fan brethren, probably not so much.

Face it man, you would be hard pressed to find anyone over the age of 30 in this country who does not have at least some awareness of who the man is. I am including in this people who have never watched a football game in their lives. Like it or not (I do not), the Blind Side is a part of our cultural zeitgeist by this point. It's just "assumed" that everyone knows the story.

You cannot buy that kind of brand awareness. If you know where to obtain it, please let me know. I have some..........ideas.

He wrote a book. Probably didn't sell very much. Probably sold a lot more copies of it than he would have sold in a world with no Blind Side though.

If he squandered his brand awareness or chose not to utilize it, I'm sorry but that's on him.

Like I said, his pro career was meh at best. I'm not so sure be even gets a second contract without the publicity honestly.

I go back to what I said earlier, neither Oher or the Tuoheys are gonna come out of this smelling very good. For the man to claim though that he got no benefits out of all that, I'm sorry but seems very disingenuous at best.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I'd rather Sandra Bullock in a tight dress than an accurate movie. Accuracy of the movie is irrelevant to Michael Oher's most recent allegations anyway.

I'm with @BowlBrother85 , @stolitonic , and a few others on this. I see a lot of gray.

I'll throw out a few more tidbits.
The few people I know that have met Tuohy family say the husband is a sincere good guy and the wife is insufferable.

Michael Oher had an abysmal GPA. If he didn't get help from the Tuohy family or somebody else, junior college would have been his only option.

Michael Oher's mother was involved with the legal proceedings for the conservatorship.

Has Michael Oher recently published a book, or does he have one coming out soon?

I'd rather Sandra Bullock in a tight dress than an accurate movie. Accuracy of the movie is irrelevant to Michael Oher's most recent allegations anyway.

I'm with @BowlBrother85 , @stolitonic , and a few others on this. I see a lot of gray.

I'll throw out a few more tidbits.
The few people I know that have met Tuohy family say the husband is a sincere good guy and the wife is insufferable.

Michael Oher had an abysmal GPA. If he didn't get help from the Tuohy family or somebody else, junior college would have been his only option.

Michael Oher's mother was involved with the legal proceedings for the conservatorship.

Has Michael Oher recently published a book, or does he have one coming out soon?
It's all about the Benjamin's.

Oher feels he should have gotten more $$$ from the proceeds of the movie, while the Tuohy's are (pretentiously) trying to maintain that their interests in Oher's academics, home life and football prospects, were strictly altruistic, when they clearly did reap financial benefits as a result of their relationship with him. The Tuohy's can claim that they didn't need those extra benefits, because they were already wealthy to begin with, and while that's true ... they still made a lot of money from the book and the movie, anyway.

It's possible to be both charitable, and someone who wants a nice return on their investment at the same time. Both parties are financially secure, and they both gained a lot from their association with each other, and their "arrangement." This should have been handled privately, but that's where greed comes into play.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back