So the Tuohy's were phonies (Michael Oher)

You mean Leigh Ann didn't really teach him how to play left tackle at Briarcrest? LOL.

Damn, that movie was stupid.

I was referring more to the book and the fact that these are TN people and thus some people on this board knew some things about them.

Hmm so according to the documents, the Tuohy’s recieved a $225,000 payment for film rights and 2.5% of the profits (aka royalties)

The film has made over 330 million dollars which means they recieved 8.5 million (at least according to my calculator LOL)

This money only goes to the Tuohy’s and their natural born children, not Michael.

Wow, I don’t know how they can defend that

Reactions: Pennheel and rod121
Hmm so according to the documents, the Tuohy’s recieved a $225,000 payment for film rights and 2.5% of the profits (aka royalties)

The film has made over 330 million dollars which means they recieved 8.5 million (at least according to my calculator LOL)

This money only goes to the Tuohy’s and their natural born children, not Michael.

Wow, I don’t know how they can defend that
"Profits" gets defined VERY narrowly in Hollywood, as many actors have found to their chagrin. It might have grossed $330 million, but no way is that the profits. Still plenty slimy.

"Profits" gets defined VERY narrowly in Hollywood, as many actors have found to their chagrin. It might have grossed $330 million, but no way is that the profits. Still plenty slimy.

Yep, I agree. I don’t know what the actual number is. Im just going off of the numbers provided in the documents to the court.

I would like to correct one thing I misread, the family did not receive $225,000 for the film together. Rather each member received $225,000 for the film a piece.

Except for Michael, he did not receive anything.

Everyone benefited..

Tuohys got attention and highest rated Shelby County recruit ever to Ole Miss

Oher got off the streets

Freeze parlayed it into an assistant coaching gig at Ole Miss
I don't think Michael got much benefit out of this situation. If what is being alleged is true, the Tuohy family was taking advantage of Michael to benefit themselves, but mainly their children. Michael was already an All-American before the Tuohy family took him in. If Michael would have been adopted, he would have had an interest in the Tuohy's estate. Further, somehow Michael who is the main character in the story gets nothing, but the children are receiving royalties. The children are receiving ill-gotten gains through the alleged situation. The children would have not received those royalties without Michael; however, Michael likely still becomes a professional athlete without the Tuohy family.

Not only did the Tuohy's take advantage of Michael, but they also harmed his NFL career by allowing him to be portrayed as unintelligent. The perception that Michael was unintelligent likely shortened Michael's career and caused him to be underpaid.

Last edited:
A 30 for 30 with all the coaches who appeared in that movie telling their version of how all that played out would be interesting. The interviews could take place on a couch in the middle of a living room, just like the movie

Good ole Hollywood accounting. $330m is revenue in any world, not profit. However in Hollywood the net profit of the movie very rarely is a straight revenue minus expenses calculation.

IMO, the Tuohys are FOS when they say they've made very little money from the movie, but that also isn't shocking that they might not be swimming in cash from the movie. It also depends on how well they negotiated things upfront.

Reactions: VolNExile
I don't think Michael got much benefit out of this situation. If what is being alleged is true, the Tuohy family was taking advantage of Michael to benefit themselves, but mainly their children. Michael was already an All-American before the Tuohy family took him in. If Michael would have been adopted, he would have had an interest in the Tuohy's estate. Further, somehow Michael who is the main character in the story gets nothing, but the children are receiving royalties. The children are receiving ill-gotten gains through the alleged situation. The children would have not received those royalties without Michael; however, Michael likely still becomes a professional athlete without the Tuohy family.

Not only did the Tuohy's take advantage of Michael, but they also harmed his NFL career by allowing him to be portrayed as unintelligent. The perception that Michael was unintelligent likely shortened Michael's career and caused him to be underpaid.

Hmmmm. Good point you made that I had not thought of. I don’t know the legalities but I would also think that not adopting him prevents him from having equal rights in the estate like the two kids have. I guess shares in a will can be structured any way they like but the appearance certainly is questionable since they supposedly “loved” him like their own children. All things being equal, one would think they’d want Michael to have a one third share in the estate. Looks to me like it never was equal. Gonna be interesting for sure once the money trail is uncovered.

Reactions: Nerwen Aldarion
IMO, the Tuohys are FOS when they say they've made very little money from the movie, but that also isn't shocking that they might not be swimming in cash from the movie. It also depends on how well they negotiated things upfront.

They made money not just from the film but by exploiting their story, using his name and things for their foundation, getting on tv shows like Below Deck, I think the mom had her own short lived show too. They also wrote their own book and have been guest speakers at numerous events sharing their story of “adopting Michael”

None of that would have been possible without Michael.

They made money not just from the film but by exploiting their story, using his name and things for their foundation, getting on tv shows like Below Deck, I think the mom had her own short lived show too. They also wrote their own book and have been guest speakers at numerous events sharing their story of “adopting Michael”

None of that would have been possible without Michael.
Yes, I agree. They haven't made money only directly from the movie, but from the platform/publicity that the movie provided them.

It is pretty easy to argue that this whole story has benefitted them more than it benefitted Michael Oher. Michael Oher was an elite O-line recruit before they got involved with them, and in all likelihood still would have gone on to the same college and NFL success without them. I was saying in another thread yesterday that he might have signed with a bigger program than Ole Miss without the Tuohys, since it was them who was really pushing him to go there. All the big SEC programs wanted him.

Yes, I agree. They haven't made money only directly from the movie, but from the platform/publicity that the movie provided them.

It is pretty easy to argue that this whole story has benefitted them more than it benefitted Michael Oher. Michael Oher was an elite O-line recruit before they got involved with them, and in all likelihood still would have gone on to the same college and NFL success without them. I was saying in another thread yesterday that he might have signed with a bigger program than Ole Miss without the Tuohys, since it was them who was really pushing him to go there. All the big SEC programs wanted him.

He wanted to go to TN, but they manipulated him to go to Ol Miss

I'd like to think NFL GMs would dig a little deeper into a player than how he's portrayed in a movie so I highly doubt it affected his NFL career.

Personally, I don’t care what happens. Either the “parents” or Michael Oher himself may go to hell for lies and for being greedy. My mercy and prayers to all of them regardless.

I did like the “Dark Side” spoof though… I can’t lie 😂

I don't think it's a question of whether or not Oher benefitted from the arrangement. And we don't know what the alternative universe even holds.

It appears that these people are POS's who tricked him into thinking he was family so they could benefit financially. They tricked America into thinking they're some sort of white saviors. And he could have been protecting Crompton : ) I don't care what else happened. They can get ****ed.

Screenshot_20230815-182033_Facebook.jpg

I was a freshman living in Gibbs when Michael came through for an official visit. He was a really nice guy and loved everything about UT. When he signed with Ole Miss, I went and asked Coach Fulmer about it since Mike seemed really excited about signing with the Vols. Coach Fulmer told me something along the lines of, "a family in Memphis fake-adopted him and basically forced him to go to Oxford." None of this is very surprising.
It's funny because in the movie, the Tuohy's told him they thought he should go to Tennessee

VN Store

Back