So which team/teams get left out of the playoffs?

What an absolute farce. Let’s just go ahead and complete the clown show. I expect the Florida delegation in Congress to call for an investigation and hearings. A lawsuit by FSU in Federal Court would be par for the course as well. Loose the attorneys and cry havoc 😂

What an absolute farce. Let’s just go ahead and complete the clown show. I expect the Florida delegation in Congress to call for an investigation and hearings. A lawsuit by FSU in Federal Court would be par for the course as well. Loose the attorneys and cry havoc 😂
I swear I wrote my post before i saw this tweet. It begins….

Reactions: JoeMiltonsAgent
WITH Jordan Travis. He's out for the season. Their offense is hot garbage without him. FSU is not a top 4 team right now.
But it seems they don’t normally take injuries into account. I will admit I don’t normally follow the play offs as closely, but my son is a big Michigan fan. I hate Alabama (of course). So I paid closer attention this year. Is it normal for an injury to make this much impact?

For my part, I'd be more interested in watching playoff games that didn't entail our rivals racking up more accolades and hardware.
Watching Washington and Michigan playing in a game is like watching two mules fight over briars.

I thought the same on an 8 team playoff. Conference champs and the other best 3 teams. You’re getting the deserving teams and the best teams. I think 8 probably would have been good. Normally there’s a clear 1 or top 2 teams then 3-6 or 3-7 are all fairly identical or close.
Yeah, I'm inclined to think eight would have been quite enough. If you don't win your conference and can't make an invincible case for being one of three at large teams, why are you even in the discussion to begin with?

If eight isn't enough, though, I think they should have done sixteen and done away with the bye.

Reactions: volmanNC
FSU AD’s statement:

"The consequences of giving in to a narrative of the moment are destructive, far reaching, and permanent. Not just for Florida State, but college football as a whole."

"The argument of whether a team is the 'most deserving OR best' is a false equivalence. It renders the season up to yesterday irrelevant and significantly damages the legitimacy of the College Football Playoff. The 2023 Florida State Seminoles are the epitome of a total TEAM. To eliminate them from a chance to compete for a national championship is an unwarranted injustice that shows complete disregard and disrespect for their performance and accomplishments. It is unforgiveable."

"The fact that this team has continued to close out victories in dominant fashion facing our current quarterback situation should have ENHANCED our case to get a playoff berth EARNED on the field. Instead, the committee decided to elevate themselves and 'make history' today by departing from what makes this sport great by excluding an undefeated Power 5 conference champion for the first time since the advent of the BCS/CFP era that began 25 years ago. This ridiculous decision is a departure from the competitive expectations that have stood the test of time in college football.
Wins matter. Losses matter. Those that compete in the arena know this. Those on the committee who also competed in the sport and should have known this have forgotten it. Today, they changed the way success is assessed in college football, from a tangible metric - winning on the field - to an intangible, subjective one. Evidently, predicting the future matters more."

"For many of us, today's decision by the committee has forever damaged the credibility of the institution that is the College Football Playoff. And, saddest of all, it was self-inflicted. They chose predictive competitiveness over proven performance; subjectivity over fact. They have become a committee of prognosticators. They have abandoned their responsibility by discarding their purpose – to evaluate performance on the field."

"Our players, coaches, and fans - as well as all those who love this sport - deserve better. The committee failed college football today."

Agree with him wholeheartedly. It's a travesty, and done just to get their chosen blue bloods into the playoff.

Regarding the bolded part, I would say that horse left the barn a while back and is long gone, not just the playoff but CFB in general.

This **** is why we should leave the SEC. It is an unethical league that just favors Alabama. Screw it. I know we won't play for a title again if we did but at least we can go somewhere with fair play.

It doesn't in reality. Can you say without laughing very hard FSU can beat UGA or Bama.
I certainly can not. I watched the entire game yesterday and the one thing that stood out to me was that BOTH of the teams are on a completely different level than everyone else. Yes you can possibly make a case for Texas beating Bama the 2nd game of the year. However much I hate them it won't happen twice.

I'm really not arguing with you. To me, UGa and Bama are the two best teams in the country right now. My point was just dealing with straight results - the SEC was beaten on the field more than they won against the ACC this season. That the SEC is better is unquestioned.

Every year? Nope. Not with the 12 team playoff that start next year. The great thing is next year the conversation will shift from which actually deserving team is being left out of the playoff to which 2 loss team that didn’t win a conference championship and is ranked 13-15 is being left out.

And for the most part only the fans of that team will care. No massive controversy. No weeping and gnashing of teeth. A 12 team playoff will get all the truly deserving teams so there is no more best vs deserving debate.

If you truly believe that, I don't know what to say. There will always be controversy and gnashing of teeth as long as the rankings are subjective. Now, instead of a couple of teams believing they should be in the final four, you're going to have 3-4 who will be screaming they got screwed. What 'massive' controversy is there now? Everyone but some Florida State fans will still be watching the playoff, and the media lackeys will be rationalizing the Bama/Texas selections for the next month. And the gravy train rolls on.

Reactions: cherokeeeVOL
The humbling of the pups is the one spark of joy in this whole debacle

No doubt. Kirby's arrogant mug being out is almost worth the aggravation of the Alabama selection. I'm willing to bet they were seeded 4th because the NCAA desperately wants Michigan to lose and Bama is really the best shot at beating them.

Reactions: cherokeeeVOL
Strength of Schedule
FSU - 55
BAMA - 4

Anyone think FSU would beat Texas who beat Bama? Not me.

This doesn't matter.

SoS should matter between teams with the same record.....

The argument should have been who was the 4th team between 12-1 Texas and 12-1 Bama and that debate was settled in Week 2....

It makes absolutely no sense that Washington gets a free pass at 13-0, while FSU is ranked in the Top 4 for 2 weeks post Travis injury only to get dropped to 5..... Washington would not be favored against Georgia so why are we not using "best team" format for everyone.

Just mindnumbling stupid that the 3rd spot went to a 12-1 P5 champ and the final spot was to be decided between a 13-0 P5 Champ and a 12-1 P5 Champ.....

This doesn't matter.

SoS should matter between teams with the same record.....

The argument should have been who was the 4th team between 12-1 Texas and 12-1 Bama and that debate was settled in Week 2....

It makes absolutely no sense that Washington gets a free pass at 13-0, while FSU is ranked in the Top 4 for 2 weeks post Travis injury only to get dropped to 5..... Washington would not be favored against Georgia so why are we not using "best team" format for everyone.

Just mindnumbling stupid that the 3rd spot went to a 12-1 P5 champ and the final spot was to be decided between a 13-0 P5 Champ and a 12-1 P5 Champ.....
FSU is going to be absolutely embarrassed by Georgia and can’t wait to see it happen. They are not one of the 4 best teams. If we just go by records we don’t need a committee.

Reactions: just bob

VN Store

Back