So which team/teams get left out of the playoffs?

If you truly believe this, you have to question why the CFP had FSU ranked in the Top 4 the last two weeks without Travis.....
Because they were waiting to see if Cardale Jones was on the FSU sidelines. And he wasn’t.

Also if the ACC was a good conference, there is no way a third string an would lead them to a championship. All Louisville had to do was score 2 touchdowns and they couldn’t do that.
FSUs defense is that good. The 3rd string QB plays on offense.

You're kidding, right? You really think the same thing isn't going to happen every year where 3-4 teams believe they got screwed by the selection committee and conference favoritism isn't at work?

As long as subjectivity plays any part in selecting playoff teams, this same stuff will happen annually. And don't believe for a second that the NCAA doesn't love and revel in the controversy, which only brings more attention and eyeballs.
Every year? Nope. Not with the 12 team playoff that start next year. The great thing is next year the conversation will shift from which actually deserving team is being left out of the playoff to which 2 loss team that didn’t win a conference championship and is ranked 13-15 is being left out.

And for the most part only the fans of that team will care. No massive controversy. No weeping and gnashing of teeth. A 12 team playoff will get all the truly deserving teams so there is no more best vs deserving debate.

Reactions: luthervol
Every year? Nope. Not with the 12 team playoff that start next year. The great thing is next year the conversation will shift from which actually deserving team is being left out of the playoff to which 2 loss team that didn’t win a conference championship and is ranked 13-15 is being left out.

And for the most part only the fans of that team will care. No massive controversy. No weeping and gnashing of teeth. A 12 team playoff will get all the truly deserving teams so there is no more best vs deserving debate.
Will there not be controversy concerning which teams are awarded a bye?

FSU AD’s statement:

"The consequences of giving in to a narrative of the moment are destructive, far reaching, and permanent. Not just for Florida State, but college football as a whole."

"The argument of whether a team is the 'most deserving OR best' is a false equivalence. It renders the season up to yesterday irrelevant and significantly damages the legitimacy of the College Football Playoff. The 2023 Florida State Seminoles are the epitome of a total TEAM. To eliminate them from a chance to compete for a national championship is an unwarranted injustice that shows complete disregard and disrespect for their performance and accomplishments. It is unforgiveable."

"The fact that this team has continued to close out victories in dominant fashion facing our current quarterback situation should have ENHANCED our case to get a playoff berth EARNED on the field. Instead, the committee decided to elevate themselves and 'make history' today by departing from what makes this sport great by excluding an undefeated Power 5 conference champion for the first time since the advent of the BCS/CFP era that began 25 years ago. This ridiculous decision is a departure from the competitive expectations that have stood the test of time in college football.
Wins matter. Losses matter. Those that compete in the arena know this. Those on the committee who also competed in the sport and should have known this have forgotten it. Today, they changed the way success is assessed in college football, from a tangible metric - winning on the field - to an intangible, subjective one. Evidently, predicting the future matters more."

"For many of us, today's decision by the committee has forever damaged the credibility of the institution that is the College Football Playoff. And, saddest of all, it was self-inflicted. They chose predictive competitiveness over proven performance; subjectivity over fact. They have become a committee of prognosticators. They have abandoned their responsibility by discarding their purpose – to evaluate performance on the field."

"Our players, coaches, and fans - as well as all those who love this sport - deserve better. The committee failed college football today."

Bolded is so true.
He absolutely nailed it!

FSU getting slammed for strength of schedule. What about Michigan? I guess that win against tOSU was the best ever and locked them in at #1. How were they (and Washington too) locks but FSU not? They all did what they were supposed to do yet somehow, because of the loss of Travis, FSU doesn’t stack up against two 1 loss teams (1 of which has plenty of minuses on the vaunted “style points” arguments)

If Travis meant that much to the committee, then why was FSU at #4 for two weeks WITHOUT him? Their argument doesn’t hold up.

And Norvell is pissed and rightly so.

Reactions: sami
Will there not be controversy concerning which teams are awarded a bye?
Probably some but not the level of what we see today. Not getting a bye vs not being selected are are pretty different things. It’s not perfect. College football playoff will never be perfect due to the involvement of subjective opinion rankings. As long as rankings and opinions control things there will always be some disagreement or controversy. But 12 team playoff is a better option than 4 imo. Everyone truly deserving can be selected. All the conference champs. The best of the rest. And even a non power 5 conf champs maybe.

Likely to be the first split national title in a while. If Texas or Alabama wins, I can see the AP voters naming FSU their national champion, if they win their bowl game. I would if I were an AP voter.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Probably some but not the level of what we see today. Not getting a bye vs not being selected are are pretty different things. It’s not perfect. College football playoff will never be perfect due to the involvement of subjective opinion rankings. As long as rankings and opinions control things there will always be some disagreement or controversy. But 12 team playoff is a better option than 4 imo. Everyone truly deserving can be selected. All the conference champs. The best of the rest. And even a non power 5 conf champs maybe.
I don't know. An extra week of rest/practice and having to win only two games rather than three is a significant advantage.

Reactions: sami
Likely to be the first split national title in a while. If Texas or Alabama wins, I can see the AP voters naming FSU their national champion, if they win their bowl game. I would if I were an AP voter.
Rumor is FSU will play UGA, they ain’t winning their bowl game…

Liberty gets in the Fiesta, undefeated and terrible strength of schedule. But they did what they had to do to get in, good choice.

I don't know. An extra week of rest/practice and having to win only two games rather than three is a significant advantage.
It is. But there’s too many teams and too many conferences to have a college football playoff without subjective rankings. An NFL style of playoff where the only thing that matters is on field results just isn’t feasible. Due to that, there will always be some controversy.

Getting all the conference champs and the best of the rest results in a smaller controversy imo.

It is. But there’s too many teams and too many conferences to have a college football playoff without subjective rankings. An NFL style of playoff where the only thing that matters is on field results just isn’t feasible. Due to that, there will always be some controversy.

Getting all the conference champs and the best of the rest results in a smaller controversy imo.
I don't disagree it's an improvement, but it seems to me that an eight- or sixteen-team playoff would make better sense and generate less controversy (of the reasonable kind, anyway).

I don't disagree it's an improvement, but it seems to me that an eight- or sixteen-team playoff would make better sense and generate less controversy (of the reasonable kind, anyway).
I thought the same on an 8 team playoff. Conference champs and the other best 3 teams. You’re getting the deserving teams and the best teams. I think 8 probably would have been good. Normally there’s a clear 1 or top 2 teams then 3-6 or 3-7 are all fairly identical or close.

I figured when the agreement for 12 was made that a couple of conferences wanted more teams to ensure they would be able to get 2 teams in the playoff if not 3.

Reactions: DuckInAPen

VN Store

Back