State of Tennessee Wins the Injunction

Women's football? Lingerie football or full uniform?
In a more serious vein, I'd like to see Neyland host any of the following as paid community events.
1. Televised Vols away games on jumbo screens, and making it a party-like atmosphere.
2. Host themed concerts: Rock & Roll, Country, Local musicians, Swing, Patriotic, Pop, you get the idea.
3. Host major high school football games featuring the biggest rivalries, maybe cross-state, or interstate southern schools.
4. MAYBE, make Neyland a giant laser tag event.

5) Spartan Race. That would be awesome.

Also, love #1 ... could make money.

So do you think there should be a limit on potential earnings for all 18-20 year olds? Even the ones not in college who work full time somewhere? What about those 18-20 years old who have families to support? Or are you saying that only the 18-20 year olds that grew up in poverty or lower class should have their earning capped. Do you
think only the 18-20 year olds from wealthy families are responsible enough to handle money? Also why is 20 the magical age for you? Why not cap earnings for 30 & 40 year olds? Or do you just want to cap the earning potential of individual that play sports? What about actors, musicians, tech developers, landscapes, independent contractors, and entrepreneurs? Should their earning potential be capped in case they become successful and can’t handle money? Please explain your thinking. I would love to know who, when, and what profession that someone should be allowed to earn the maximum amount that someone else is willing to pay them. What about the people who are offering to pay them? Do you also think they are the problem?
Great point. I found myself after graduating high school at 17 in military basic training shortly afterwards, Slightly over a year later found myself on Guam repairing B-52s and spent my 19th birthday there where we brought the Vietnam War to an end after the Christmas bombing of 1972. Funny how they taught us to correctly brush our teeth in basic training but not a word was spent on how to correctly budget and spend our money.

The free market will take care of setting values for the players. There is no way a player will make more than the coaches. Not gonna happen.
What may occur as well as why many coaches MAY oppose is they will now have players competing with them on the market for a finite bag of money supporting promotions, advertising, and other funds from businesses that could support NIL as well. Mama Maybelles Donut Shop only has X amount of dollars to spend annually supporting her local collegiate program. In the past she routinely buys a spot on local tv where the coach does a commercial how great her donuts are. Now that NIL has arrived she LOVES that new QB recruited and has decided next year half her $s go to coach's tv commercial and half goes to the new QB dong a commercial as well. Think coach will love that?

What may occur as well as why many coaches MAY oppose is they will now have players competing with them on the market for a finite bag of money supporting promotions, advertising, and other funds from businesses that could support NIL as well. Mama Maybelles Donut Shop only has X amount of dollars to spend annually supporting her local collegiate program. In the past she routinely buys a spot on local tv where the coach does a commercial how great her donuts are. Now that NIL has arrived she LOVES that new QB recruited and has decided next year half her $s go to coach's tv commercial and half goes to the new QB dong a commercial as well. Think coach will love that?
NIL money and coaches salaries don't come from the same place. Coaches' salaries come from the schools. NIL from a collective or donor doesn't affect that at all.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
NIL money and coaches salaries don't come from the same place. Coaches' salaries come from the schools. NIL from a collective or donor doesn't affect that at all.
You don't think donors are committing money to the schools for coaches and capital improvements in facilities?

Reactions: cgrish
It is from the same pool of money. NIL contributions will have an effect on donations to the program.
I believe DeerPark, who is a pretty decent source here, suggested the schools were concerned that NIL donations were eroding other donations to the school enough to be noticed and be a concern.

Saban in mentioning bringing the NIL "in house" suggested it might provide "tax deductible donations" for donors, which IMO is a clear attempt to try to get big donors onboard for NIL money to be under school control.

The schools are stuck though:
A school NIL paying players = a strong argument that paying players directly makes them employees.

NIL's outside the schools = less money control and less money coming directly to the school from donors.

I assume the best course is to keep the NILs as close as possible to the schools, hence the lawsuit by TN, without having the courts be able to claim "these NILs are just a sham for the school paying players and these guys are REALLY employees."

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
You don't think donors are committing money to the schools for coaches and capital improvements in facilities?
They are, but NIL isn't going to affect that if the big donor wants a campus building named for them or an endowed chair named in their honor. Those are still a thing.

If I'm the rich donor (I'm not) I'd give some extra toward NIL for a star QB, but I'd still reserve the major donation for something that will put my name on campus permanently.

Last edited:
They are, but NIL isn't going to affect that if the big donor wants a campus building named for them or an endowed chair named in their honor. Those are still a thing.

If I'm the rich donor (I'm not) I'd give some extra toward NIL for a star QB, but I'd still reserve the major donation for something that will pit my name on campus permanently.
Athletic donors are not always after the building. They give money for coaches and facility improvements

If I'm the rich donor (I'm not) I'd give some extra toward NIL for a star QB, but I'd still reserve the major donation for something that will put my name on campus permanently.
I “think” you can also write off donations directly to the university and can’t on NIL. Of course NIL does allow you to advertise and draw attention to your brand. Matter of a fact can someone clear that up? I didn’t think individual NIL donations were deductible but would business donations be considered “marketing”?

You would think the results of this injunction would warrant news coverage because of the potential impact it has on all college football.. But 247 sports doesn't say a word about it 🤪 However, they historically put any bad news (like the NCAA investigation) about UT on their front page for a week or more. SAD :(👎👎👎
In case you have yet to realize it, Tennessee is a state for political purposes thought to be similar to Texas and Florida by the national media. Few positive stories coming out of Tennessee will get picked up by the national media, so the idea UTAD wins against the NCAA gets buried. Now anything they can push that demonstrates the state is racist, transphobic, or extremist gets widely disseminated. As an example I just heard a college educated female from Virginia for example berating a friend because the friend had a child which chose to go to the HBCU Florida A&M this coming fall. Her reason? Because “everyone knows they hate black people and kill black males every day down there.” That’s the kind of nonsense being promoted about some states of which Tennessee unfairly gets as well.

I specifically mentioned coaches and their promotional pay and did not mention their salaries as competitive with NIL. There’s only so much promotional and advertising dollars available in any given market. Football coaches are frequently seen promoting everything from autos to restaurants to insurance companies. Now that NIL is here, coaches get less of that pie as players begin to show up in promotions. In other words coaches take a haircut. How much probably varies wildly from market to market is my guess.

Great point. I found myself after graduating high school at 17 in military basic training shortly afterwards, Slightly over a year later found myself on Guam repairing B-52s and spent my 19th birthday there where we brought the Vietnam War to an end after the Christmas bombing of 1972. Funny how they taught us to correctly brush our teeth in basic training but not a word was spent on how to correctly budget and spend our money.
Tennessee have sessions for its athletes about how to manage their money. This started many years ago and I assume it has continued.

Last edited:
Right alongside Florida, Texas, Washington, Nevada, Alaska, New Hampshire, South Dakota, and Wyoming.

We are not as unique in that regard as you might think.

Not all of those are big college football states, but Tennessee, Florida, Texas, and Washington certainly are.

Go Vols!
Very true but outside of Florida, Washington, and Texas, we aren't losing many recruits to those other teams. Hopefully, these kids or those around them that can at least recognize things like this when considering offers.

Very true but outside of Florida, Washington, and Texas, we aren't losing many recruits to those other teams. Hopefully, these kids or those around them that can at least recognize things like this when considering offers.
Honestly state income taxes in most states aren't a whole lot. I've lived in Georgia most of my adult life and my state taxes usually total between 5% and 10% what my federal pay in is.

Honestly state income taxes in most states aren't a whole lot. I've lived in Georgia most of my adult life and my state taxes usually total between 5% and 10% what my federal pay in is.
Try New York or California though, totally different animal. Folks are running away from these states.

It's still a consideration that should be mentioned, along with cost of living. I know I have turned down jobs offering more because the state income tax and/or cost of living come into play.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Who amongst us wouldn’t welcome a 10% raise?
It wouldn't be a 10% raise, I am saying my State taxes are usually no more than 1/10th what my federal taxes are. Say for example, I paid in $ 30,000 in federal income tax to the IRS in a given year, my State tax for that same year to the Georgia Department of Revienue would usually be about $ 1,500 to $ 3,000. As other people have said, California, New York, Illinois, those may be different stories.

Reactions: kcvols1

VN Store

Back