Status of QBs for Season

Ferg is a competitor who has fire and desire. The learning curve favors the Freshmen. Worley and Peterman both had the spring practice and the Freshmen are catching up to them. FWIW, I think all will do fine if given the opportunity.

Worley wories me a little because he got nervous and overthrew a lot when he started in 2011. But this offensive scheme has him out of the pocket using his legs and that might settle him down a lot more.

In 2011, Worley was what? A freshman? And? Picked up by the collar and thrown to the wolves who knew we would pass because we couldn't run? Why the heck shouldn't he be nervous? Believe it or not, the guy has some actual coaching now and it's 2013. He no longer has moss behind his ears and in other creases.

Reactions: 7 people
Worley is not getting it done the way Butch was hoping/expecting.

The QB showing the biggest surge is Ferguson.

Not great news but maybe promising for Ferguson.. I just hope to god the way Butch is recruiting he can devolope our QB's. ok maybe the whole team..

My Gut feeling tells me that Worley will start and peterman will be #2. Even though ferg is learning quick and showing good signs, he is a toothpick 180lbs full pads soaking wet! They will get him in more physical shape (more weight) and he will be the one to watch for 2014. JMO

Reactions: 2 people
Just sharing. Got my Vannerbuilt ticks today for Shirley and me. Fifty bucks a pop, well actually 49.93 each. So far am GO for two games, hope I get freedom for at least 2 more. Maybe will see one or both frosh QBs in this game.

Last edited:
Just sharing. Got my Vannderbuilt tickstoday for Shirley and me. Fifty bucks a pop, well actually 49.93 each. So far am GO for two games, hope I get freedom for at least 2 more. Maybe will see one or both frosh QBs in this game.

Them vannderbuilt ticks are contagious if they bite you, better be carefull! :)

Just sharing. Got my Vannderbuilt ticks today for Shirley and me. Fifty bucks a pop, well actually 49.93 each. So far am GO for two games, hope I get freedom for at least 2 more. Maybe will see one or both frosh QBs in this game.

Shirley you're joking! You must go to at least 3 games.

Shirley you're joking! You must go to at least 3 games.

Goal is 4. Depends on my schedule. If not for that, it would be easy because a friend has a guest house on his property we use and it's just 3 miles from Neyland.
We just park at the garage next to Market Square and walk 1 miles to the campus. But if my schedule doesn't allow me to get out of state, doesn't matter.

I think Butch is testing the waters of playing a Frosh.

Worley will start unless he implodes these last couple of weeks or a Frosh really takes control. Neither of those is likely.

What is likely, by the 3rd or 4th week we see a change.

I would also imagine whoever finished No. 2 to start the season will get some decent reps in the first two games.

I could foresee a scenario similar to that of 2010, where the incumbent starter sees us through the most difficult portion of the schedule and is then replaced, depending, of course, on the speed with which freshmen at the position progress. I am not presuming, however, that Worley will be an absolute flop. If Justin and/or Peterman are reasonably competent, I see no reason to burn the redshirts of Dobbs and Ferguson for mere mop-up duty.

The following information is courtesy of the "Vol Colonel," who regularly posts on Basilio's website and supposedly is privy to all practices, from start to finish. Right now, the quarterback position is strictly a two-horse race between Worley and Peterman. According to him, Worley leads but Peterman is closing the gap and he describes Peterman as having more upside, both in terms of arm strength and mobility. He likes what he has seen from the two incoming freshmen but considers them to be "miles and miles" behind Justin and Nate. He also considers Riley Ferguson to be ahead of Josh Dobbs at this point.

I can personally guarantee you that if neither freshman win the job outright in these last few weeks, both will redshirt.

If Peterman wins it, both will redshirt then transfer in all likelyhood

You cannot personally guarantee anything of the sort.

If Peterman wins the job then one of the two will likely transfer. The other will still have two years to start barring injury to Peterman.

The only way it is likely both transfer is if they are recruited over then passed on the depth chart by someone in '15 or '16.

Worley's the starter and will be until he shows inconsistency, then Peterman will come in and show what he can do. I don't see freshmen playing this year, both will be redshirted.

Reactions: 1 person
The only thing that I saw was lack of arm strength, so his timing better be on or he is going to get picked.

He has the strongest arm of the four and much stronger than either Fr. Peterman appears to have a pretty strong arm too. In one of the games last year where they talked about Bray throwing something like 55 mph... I believe they said Worley threw at over 50 mph. He has strength. He just appears to have a long delivery.

FWIW, if either of the Fr are likely to start this year... I think they move to the #1 spot before the end of camp. I doubt they blow a RS unless they have to.

In all likelihood barring injury, Worley or Peterman will start and the other will be the back up.

The ideal scenario is for Worley to get the starting nod and progressively get better during the season. Dangle playing opportunity to Peterman as a means to ensure depth. Redshirt the two true freshmen and put some meat on them! If Worley locks the position up, Peterman transfers after the season, but Dobbs and Ferguson would see the starting job as a viable goal and would give us another season...2015 would be a QB recruiting priority, but we'd have two year's worth of Butchball for them to savor...I don't know if Volnation agrees...wadayuthink?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The ideal scenario is for Worley to get the starting nod and progressively get better during the season. Dangle playing opportunity to Peterman as a means to ensure depth. Redshirt the two true freshmen and put some meat on them! If Worley locks the position up, Peterman transfers after the season, but Dobbs and Ferguson would see the starting job as a viable goal and would give us another season...2015 would be a QB recruiting priority, but we'd have two year's worth of Butchball for them to savor...I don't know if Volnation agrees...wadayuthink?

Ideal scenario. Hopefully Worley locks it down. If not, concerned that if you start a/the freshmen then you lose the upperclassmen which wouldn't be good.... unless one of the freshmen is head and shoulders above I'd rather see them have more time to physically mature and get more time in the system.

Ideal scenario. Hopefully Worley locks it down. If not, concerned that if you start a/the freshmen then you lose the upperclassmen which wouldn't be good.... unless one of the freshmen is head and shoulders above I'd rather see them have more time to physically mature and get more time in the system.

QB jinga...America's favorite new board game!

It's amazing how so many people on this thread know exactly what CBJ and his assistants are thinking. The head coach says the freshman are pulling closer to the vets. People on here start saying it's Ferguson but Worley's got it in the bag. CBJ used the term "they" when he referred to the rising freshman; not Ferguson. Likewise, if Worley was the sure lock so many here believe why hasn't CBJ given him the confidence building nod? Where are these posters getting all this inside info when more of practice is hidden than is allowed to be seen? They hear it on the radio from people who have to keep talking to fill air time. That's not so bad I suppose, but their real crime is that they believe it.

Reactions: 3 people
It's amazing how so many people on this thread know exactly what CBJ and his assistants are thinking. The head coach says the freshman are pulling closer to the vets. People on here start saying it's Ferguson but Worley's got it in the bag. CBJ used the term "they" when he referred to the rising freshman; not Ferguson. Likewise, if Worley was the sure lock so many here believe why hasn't CBJ given him the confidence building nod? Where are these posters getting all this inside info when more of practice is hidden than is allowed to be seen? They hear it on the radio from people who have to keep talking to fill air time. That's not so bad I suppose, but their real crime is that they believe it.

Could be CBJ is promoting competition and putting pressure on Worley and Peterman to step it up, show leadership, take command of the position, even though he knows Worleys his game 1 starter. Just speculating...,

»(On the quarterbacks)
"They are all right there. I see some of the freshmen gaining ground. So much of it is command presence. I need to see more leadership attributes from all of them. I need them to understand when a freshmen receiver is out there and he is not on the ball and he is supposed to be on the line of scrimmage, to have poise, get him up there, have a command presence. Management of the offense in all regards. We are going to need that. They can't be mentally tired, that is one position where you have to be thick skinned and bring it each and every day. I think they are still learning the nuances of leadership and all the qualities and traits that we come to expect from that position."

All 4 Qb's have all the talent to work with and build upon, but Butch and staff are going to play the best leader of the offense. I got a feeling it will be Dobbs when it is said and done, but we are blessed with lots of talent from all 4 Qb's, regardless of the experience they may or may not have. I hope Butch takes advantage of our OL this first year and gives the freshman some experience, enter Dobbs.

I think Butch is testing the waters of playing a Frosh.

Worley will start unless he implodes these last couple of weeks or a Frosh really takes control. Neither of those is likely.

What is likely, by the 3rd or 4th week we see a change.

I would also imagine whoever finished No. 2 to start the season will get some decent reps in the first two games.

I agree 100% with your analogy...

VN Store

Back