Still no word on Mays, Spraggins, McCoy?

He’s heard from collectives from other schools with what his value could be somewhere else.
I don‘t buy this. Mays has never indicated he’s a NIL looking around kinda guy. If he leaves, it’s because he thinks the NFL is a possibility or he’s just tired of playing college football, which is perfectly respectable. Otherwise, the guy stays.

I think the fact that Addison Nichols went in the portal is a big value as he was one of our primary backups at center/guard. I think him entering says at least he thinks those 2 are coming back.

They only have room, because of our returning fifth year players, how many freshman and sophomores are on the roster, and the scholarship reductions from our NCAA penalties to sign 4-6 players out of the transfer portal. They can’t go on a bender like Missouri and bring in 15 guys, there isn’t the room on the roster.

NIL is always going to cause some players to look around because their value other places will be bigger than what they’re currently getting. Most times, they’ll get a bump from the existing school. But, again, there isn’t unlimited money.

I have my own issues with our NIL collective because of something they asked me to do from a financial standpoint without providing some information on the backend I needed. But that said, they are doing everything they can to raise enough money to pay these guys what other schools are willing to. But it’s not unlimited and it never will be. It gets more complicated when some of the guys that are asking for more money are also guys that have proven to be unreliable at fulfilling obligations to NIL events and clients. One of the ways the collective gets its money is from arranging events for the kids to do. If someone consistently does not show up for those, the collective has to refund the money to the client, and the kids still demand to get the monthly check they were promised. And the collective doesn’t have the stones to not give them the money when they don’t fulfill their obligations, which causes other guys to not fulfill their obligations. Which then makes it harder to raise money from businesses.
Wow thats kinda wild. They need to sack up and hold these guys accountable. I think once it goes into effect that schools can be directly linked to the collectives that changes because then the coaches have a real say.

Reactions: HalfullVol
It seems that it would be simple to just set the precedent that if you don't do the job, you don't earn the money. It would be bad press in the beginning but lead to long-term benefit.
Yup and if they call them out for it then other schools know and they cant just run off and get someone else to pay them.

Reactions: HalfullVol
It's pretty pathetic, but players not living up to their end is inevitable. It will be interesting to see how much everybody will put up with before the newness of NIL wears off and the market forces the collectives to either show a tangible ROR or wins on the field.
Do you notice whether any MU athletes are doing any promotional appearances/advertising in mid-GA? I assume opportunities are thin at FCS schools.

Do you notice whether any MU athletes are doing any promotional appearances/advertising in mid-GA? I assume opportunities are thin at FCS schools.
I've talked to a couple of guys about this in the past week. NIL definitely exists at Mercer and there's a little more to it than you might think. Also, MU is an oddball when it comes to FCS since (as YOU know) they have a law school AND medical school so there are some specific opportunities for professionals to slide a little cash that some schools don't have.

Combine all that with a little help from admissions and - Voila! - football makes the playoffs and lands in the FCS quarterfinal. Conversely, basketball has been absolutely murdered by the transfer portal and I can't imagine any of those guys is getting jack squat except for maybe one guy.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
I don‘t buy this. Mays has never indicated he’s a NIL looking around kinda guy. If he leaves, it’s because he thinks the NFL is a possibility or he’s just tired of playing college football, which is perfectly respectable. Otherwise, the guy stays.
I heard Peyton was going to be our new DC? Pruitt will be new OC too.

Cooper is a good kid, but he’d be silly to not consider offers if they are significantly higher. His brother would have played another year if the money had been right. Sucks for fans, but the current situation makes it no different from one of us leaving a company because another offers more money.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
And you sir are correct! Vol! GBO

Reactions: vol94
And you sir are correct! Vol! GBO
Only the last three words were correct. Coop was looking offers from other schools. He wasn’t tired of playing college football, but he wasn’t going to leave a significant amount of money on the table. This stuff really isn’t that hard.

They only have room, because of our returning fifth year players, how many freshman and sophomores are on the roster, and the scholarship reductions from our NCAA penalties to sign 4-6 players out of the transfer portal. They can’t go on a bender like Missouri and bring in 15 guys, there isn’t the room on the roster.

NIL is always going to cause some players to look around because their value other places will be bigger than what they’re currently getting. Most times, they’ll get a bump from the existing school. But, again, there isn’t unlimited money.

I have my own issues with our NIL collective because of something they asked me to do from a financial standpoint without providing some information on the backend I needed. But that said, they are doing everything they can to raise enough money to pay these guys what other schools are willing to. But it’s not unlimited and it never will be. It gets more complicated when some of the guys that are asking for more money are also guys that have proven to be unreliable at fulfilling obligations to NIL events and clients. One of the ways the collective gets its money is from arranging events for the kids to do. If someone consistently does not show up for those, the collective has to refund the money to the client, and the kids still demand to get the monthly check they were promised. And the collective doesn’t have the stones to not give them the money when they don’t fulfill their obligations, which causes other guys to not fulfill their obligations. Which then makes it harder to raise money from businesses.

Good info, thanks for sharing.

Beyond inexcusable for a player to cash the check and not show up at the events, other than a one-off here or there for a pressing matter. My understanding is that no Tennessee players have missed receiving a promised NIL payment, I really hope that we don't have guys no-showing on a recurring basis.

Cooper is a good kid, but he’d be silly to not consider offers if they are significantly higher. His brother would have played another year if the money had been right. Sucks for fans, but the current situation makes it no different from one of us leaving a company because another offers more money.

Most people don't have the opportunity to create a legacy at their job though. Its not just the direct impact of the NIL check, there are intangibles to consider.

You leave the Tennessee football program at the wrong time and you become persona non grata in Knoxville and Volnation, look at To'to.

I would take a little less money to retain a legacy and VFL status as opposed to being a soldier of fortune.

Only the last three words were correct. Coop was looking offers from other schools. He wasn’t tired of playing college football, but he wasn’t going to leave a significant amount of money on the table. This stuff really isn’t that hard.
I never said other teams might not have offered him. Doesn’t change the fact he is a Vol! GBO

VN Store

Back