Still no word on Mays, Spraggins, McCoy?

Most people don't have the opportunity to create a legacy at their job though. Its not just the direct impact of the NIL check, there are intangibles to consider.

You leave the Tennessee football program at the wrong time and you become persona non grata in Knoxville and Volnation, look at To'to.

I would take a little less money to retain a legacy and VFL status as opposed to being a soldier of fortune.

I never said other teams might not have offered him. Doesn’t change the fact he is a Vol! GBO

Which doesn’t change the fact he listened to offers and asked UT to make it possible to stay. He wanted to be at UT, but he wasn’t going to be a financial patsy to do so. Appears he’s not the only one.

As much as he loves UT, I guarantee his father would have advised going elsewhere if the money were significantly higher. And no one predicted he was leaving, just that it was possible due to the NIL situation…and it was well within the realm of possibility.

Last edited:
Which doesn’t change the fact he listened to offers and asked UT to make it possible to stay. He wanted to be at UT, but he wasn’t going to be a financial patsy to do so. Appears he’s not the only one.

As much as he loves UT, I guarantee his father would have advised going elsewhere if the money were significantly higher. And no one predicted he was leaving, just that it was possible due to the NIL situation…and it was well within the realm of possibility.
Frankly I get it, I love UT but for these kids this is not just a game but an actual job. I can love my place of work, my boss, the folks I work with but if another opportunity comes along that pays better and my current job can’t/won’t match or offer more, I’m going to go elsewhere because I have to do what is best for me and my family.

But he is at UT, obviously nobody went much higher. Once again I never disputed their were other offers so I see no reason for you to keep acting like I did. We wanted him to stay and countered and he stayed. Retaining players you want is important and we have done a great job at it. Not sure why your trying to insulate I ever said otherwise. I was confident he would stay because I knew we wanted him too.End of story, be happy. GBO

Frankly I get it, I love UT but for these kids this is not just a game but an actual job. I can love my place of work, my boss, the folks I work with but if another opportunity comes along that pays better and my current job can’t/won’t match or offer more, I’m going to go elsewhere because I have to do what is best for me and my family.
Exactly right. He and his family love UT, but the ability to get a huge head start in life is a really big deal.
But he is at UT, obviously nobody went much higher. Once again I never disputed there were other offers so I see no reason for you to keep acting like I did. We wanted him to stay and countered and he stayed. Retaining players you want is important and we have done a great job at it. Not sure why you’re trying to insulate I ever said otherwise. I was confident he would stay because I knew we wanted him too.End of story, be happy. GBO

I’m tickled to death, and so is the Mays family. It just wasn’t as easy as anyone would prefer.

Reactions: Nerwen Aldarion
Exactly right. He and his family love UT, but the ability to get a huge head start in life is a really big deal.

I’m tickled to death, and so is the Mays family. It just wasn’t as easy as anyone would prefer.
Just because I thought Mays was coming back, I never inferred it was a easy decision. I just thought in the end we would win out. I don’t know why you were trying to insinuate I said something that I never did. He is a Vol now, that is all I care about. We have done a great job of retaining our talent just like I thought we would! GBO

Just because I thought Mays was coming back, I never inferred it was an easy decision. I just thought in the end we would win out. I don’t know why you were trying to insinuate I said something that I never did. He is a Vol now, that is all I care about. We have done a great job of retaining our talent just like I thought we would! GBO
I thought he was coming back too. Glad to see we could pay up what he needed to feel comfortable staying. I have no doubt it wasn’t easy looking elsewhere and a big relief for everyone that he is still going to wear orange.

Everyone is happy in the end and that’s what matters.

That and beating Bama

NIL is gonna ruin our football program if we don't get our crap together. Seem to be striking out on some portal guys. Meanwhile Dorkwitz at Mizzou is on a heater bringing guys in....

Definitely not striking out. Have 2 really good additions and hopefully the Tulane WR is up next. Way too early to worry about Transfer numbers yet.

It seems that it would be simple to just set the precedent that if you don't do the job, you don't earn the money. It would be bad press in the beginning but lead to long-term benefit.

We can have 83 of our 85 scholarships used, 2 ilosses per year is nothing and won't hurt us in the least.

Definitely not striking out. Have 2 really good additions and hopefully the Tulane WR is up next. Way too early to worry about Transfer numbers yet.
eh...the TE is a great pick up. Hard to tell about the MTSU kid....could end up being a good player. Hard to judge a ton based off of the lower level competition.

eh...the TE is a great pick up. Hard to tell about the MTSU kid....could end up being a good player. Hard to judge a ton based off of the lower level competition.
He’s better than what we had. Both DBs we’ve added will likely start.

He’s better than what we had. Both DBs we’ve added will likely start.
that's not saying much haha but seriously, i really like the Oregon state kid. I think the MTSU kid has some potential. It won't take long to find out. Not many bodies to choose from back there haha

that's not saying much haha but seriously, i really like the Oregon state kid. I think the MTSU kid has some potential. It won't take long to find out. Not many bodies to choose from back there haha
I think the kid from MTSU is light years better than what we’ve had. Oregon state guy was solid as a true freshman. Staes was wanted by Georgia. Feel like we add a starting WR before end of the week with Brazzell as well.

Will be interesting to see what we do if Stewart wants in? I think you have to add him as well.

Reactions: FBtime
I think the kid from MTSU is light years better than what we’ve had. Oregon state guy was solid as a true freshman. Staes was wanted by Georgia. Feel like we add a starting WR before end of the week with Brazzell as well.

Will be interesting to see what we do if Stewart wants in? I think you have to add him as well.
yeah, no way you could turn down stewart. i would be a little bit surprised if he wants to land here though. We can dream though haha

Come on yourself, dude. Spraggins is a boss.
When I was in college… tense locker room moment… we were losing at half. A guy stands up and just starts ripping us all apart. (Wasn’t a close team, very contentious) Coach says, “come on, let’s calm down”

Pissed player who just ripped us all…. “Come on? Come on my a$$”

We all in unison said “Woah buddy!!! Come on your what?!”

And that was our teams bonding moment hahaha

Reactions: -GiveHim6- and Lars

VN Store

Back