Stoops getting fed up with lack of support

Then go take a D3 job. Or give back $3M of your $9M AAV salary to help with the NIL.

Man if I was an AD or BOT member and my coach was saying stuff like this, I would be losing my mind and having a sit down. Shut up and coach man. You make $9M/year to win seven football games.
I think he's starting to wear out his welcome in Lexington. 11 years at the same school is an eternity in today's game. He had that beef with Cal (I know Cal started it, but it was still a bad look), then tried to go to A&M, now this bitching and moaning about the current state of the game.

A 7-5 year this year, while not bad by UK historical standards, would be 3 of those in a row and their expectations for football have increased over the last several years (because of him). He has a huge buyout so they probably wouldn't fire him, but I'd expect a lot of chirping.

People used to say, "What's going to happen in the locker room when a QB is making all that money and the Linemen aren't?"

The new question is: What's going to happen to schools in the SEC or B1G when a coach, like Stoops, realizes a lot of that NIL money is going to another sport, basketball, because of history and their shiny new homeboy coach?

There is not infinite money for all the "big-time" sports at every school. Choices are going to be made.

Maybe coaches will start calling hookers to recruit donors to their sport vs another sport at the school. Sounds wonderful.

So is Stoops trying to say he is having to work too hard for his $8.6 million per year or is he trying to take the blame off himself if KY has a bad season(s).

Complaining about working hard when you make almost $9M with a massive buyout in one of the poorest states in the union in this economy is a bold choice

Complaining about working hard when you make almost $9M with a massive buyout in one of the poorest states in the union in this economy is a bold choice
This is why God made front porches with ceiling fans and rocking chairs and something cold to drink. Sit back and rock and muse on the interesting state of the world today.

I don't know why everyone is riding Stoops ass here. I imagine the guy is just a coach who wants to coach, not to be a glorified fundraiser who occasionally changes plays from the sidelines. Spending every day with your hat in your hand begging for funds is not what football coaches do - well, not what they used to do. I mean, okay, they have to do it now, because that's what we've made the sport into, granted. But Stoops is right - every program has to "make payroll" for 100 guys every year now. A constant negotation with players who will never be satisfied. Only satisfied for the moment. That's never been part of the job, prior to NIL. So, I get it. He's in hostile waters and he's a small fish in a big conference.

I imagine he'll check out soon, and either go down to a lower level or find some other position related to football. Wouldn't blame him at all. I think we'll see a lot of coaching turnover in the next 5-10 years where they're all saying similar things.

I don't know why everyone is riding Stoops ass here. I imagine the guy is just a coach who wants to coach, not to be a glorified fundraiser who occasionally changes plays from the sidelines. Spending every day with your hat in your hand begging for funds is not what football coaches do - well, not what they used to do. I mean, okay, they have to do it now, because that's what we've made the sport into, granted. But Stoops is right - every program has to "make payroll" for 100 guys every year now. A constant negotation with players who will never be satisfied. Only satisfied for the moment. That's never been part of the job, prior to NIL. So, I get it. He's in hostile waters and he's a small fish in a big conference.

I imagine he'll check out soon, and either go down to a lower level or find some other position related to football. Wouldn't blame him at all. I think we'll see a lot of coaching turnover in the next 5-10 years where they're all saying similar things.

He already tried leaving for Texas A&M and they bailed out on him.

Kentucky will always be a basketball school and he knows this by now.

If he’s that upset, maybe he should step away from coaching in general imo.

Because he’s an average coach at best getting over paid at a basketball school. He should give Kentucky props. If he was anywhere else he would have been fired 5 years ago. I’m tired of the constant whining every off season from that jackwagon. Kentucky deserves better. He needs to go coach HS, but you know what’s not in HS? 8 million a year. Dude wants to have his cake and eat it too, meanwhile has a better life than 90% of our population right now. The day that dude leaves college football will be a great day for me. And Kentucky fans wether they know it or not

tenor.gif

Nobody gets paid 8 million a year to go 2-9 or whatever it is now, to your biggest rival. Nobody even makes it that long to have such a record. The man’s done absolutely nothing and the media rides his D like he’s the gift from god. He’s fooled a lot of people but that dude ain’t fooling me.

if he voiced these concerns with his AD and was ignored, then he has a choice. Either resign like Saban or learn to live/coach in the new environment. If he hasn’t voiced this to his AD, he’s an idiot. The SEC is going to be a pressure cooker for all coaches. That is not changing. Going public in an interview doesn’t help his case at all. Sounds like UK will be looking for a new coach in the near future.

I get it... Burnout happens when you've done the best you can do to turn around a "basketball school" in the SEC.... He can find somewhere with less pressure and coach. A lot of coaches do that. He could also wait out his alma mater Iowa to fire Lafrenze for their less than stellar offense which I wouldn't recommend. I agree that they're going to be coach searching soon due to Stoops being burnt out.

Nobody gets paid 8 million a year to go 2-9 or whatever it is now, to your biggest rival. Nobody even makes it that long to have such a record. The man’s done absolutely nothing and the media rides his D like he’s the gift from god. He’s fooled a lot of people but that dude ain’t fooling me.
They are 26-83-9 all-time against Tennessee. They don't expect Stoops, or any coach, to do well against us.

UK all-time is probably the second-worst program in SEC history. He's only had one losing season in the last 8 years and had 2 10-win seasons. That's good...for them.

Listening to SEC Network morning show 8am-11am on SiriusXM over the last several weeks (years) and the number of times different hosts mention them as a team on the rise or they should be competing at the top of the SEC East is startling.

The last several years the same dialogue has been mentioned there and on other sports networks and I don't really get it.

Listening to SEC Network morning show 8am-11am on SiriusXM over the last several weeks (years) and the number of times different hosts mention them as a team on the rise or they should be competing at the top of the SEC East is startling.

The last several years the same dialogue has been mentioned there and on other sports networks and I don't really get it.

Meh, KY is never going to be "on the rise" in FB.

They decided a long time ago to direct most of their attention to BB. No worries.

The school (and by extension their fan base) just don't take football seriously.. They pay Stoops in the top 5% of coaches to basically be quiet and get them to a bowl every season. And they are thrilled with that

Stoops needs to take a long hard look at where he's at. Their football stadium is a joke and it's just something to do in the fall u til basket all season starts.

I'm kind of surprised they took him back after his dance with A&M honestly. Ton of coaches cheaper than Stoops could go to KY and win 6 games a year and have pretty much a lifetime contract.

VN Store

Back