Stoops getting fed up with lack of support

I don't know why everyone is riding Stoops ass here. I imagine the guy is just a coach who wants to coach, not to be a glorified fundraiser who occasionally changes plays from the sidelines. Spending every day with your hat in your hand begging for funds is not what football coaches do - well, not what they used to do. I mean, okay, they have to do it now, because that's what we've made the sport into, granted. But Stoops is right - every program has to "make payroll" for 100 guys every year now. A constant negotation with players who will never be satisfied. Only satisfied for the moment. That's never been part of the job, prior to NIL. So, I get it. He's in hostile waters and he's a small fish in a big conference.

I imagine he'll check out soon, and either go down to a lower level or find some other position related to football. Wouldn't blame him at all. I think we'll see a lot of coaching turnover in the next 5-10 years where they're all saying similar things.
I see both angles....Stoops is making a insane amount of $$$$ compared to the everyday JOE who has the Stress and Frustration of paying for Housing, Food, Transportation, Healthcare, Christmas if he has family and friends plus all other expenses modern life incurs he has none of those real world issues to deal with at all he can sit back and never worry about any of those things ever again.

But on the Flip side how can he expect to be competitive with other Programs if they have Professionals that run their NIL collectives and at UK he has to do most of the Leg work to acquire funding etc. and to keep players. No doubt the guy can coach and does a lot with less why hamstring him with another duty that effects the quality of the Football team.

I think he's starting to wear out his welcome in Lexington. 11 years at the same school is an eternity in today's game. He had that beef with Cal (I know Cal started it, but it was still a bad look), then tried to go to A&M, now this bitching and moaning about the current state of the game.

A 7-5 year this year, while not bad by UK historical standards, would be 3 of those in a row and their expectations for football have increased over the last several years (because of him). He has a huge buyout so they probably wouldn't fire him, but I'd expect a lot of chirping.

Stoops has the cushiest football job in the SEC.

Nobody gets paid 8 million a year to go 2-9 or whatever it is now, to your biggest rival. Nobody even makes it that long to have such a record. The man’s done absolutely nothing and the media rides his D like he’s the gift from god. He’s fooled a lot of people but that dude ain’t fooling me.
Billy Napier said “Hold My Beer”
The administration at Florida is walking around with their heads up their rectums and meanwhile Billy Bob Napidiot thinks Mertz is an actual quarterback

It's fun to talk about this, but let's face it, this is a nothing to fix. You hire somebody to do the work and move on. I notice the article uses the term "GM" for a position with a college team as if we all just know that's a perfectly normal thing. That's the first time I have personally seen that. They're going to have to have a smarmy front office staff so the coaches can coach.

Stoops has the cushiest football job in the SEC.
He has for years . Just win 6 or 7, beat Louisville most of the time, occasionally beat someone you’re not supposed to and we’ll give you a pay increase each year. He’s done that. It does get old hearing the narrative that Stoops would be hugely successful given the resources that other “football” schools have. It’s like the media has decided that Stoops is doing a UK a favor by being there because he’s capable of so much more. It’s absurd that he’s consistently ranked in the 10-15 range for top coaches in the country.

Listening to SEC Network morning show 8am-11am on SiriusXM over the last several weeks (years) and the number of times different hosts mention them as a team on the rise or they should be competing at the top of the SEC East is startling.

The last several years the same dialogue has been mentioned there and on other sports networks and I don't really get it.
The whole "UK is on the rise" thing is so played out. They undoubtedly have risen. They are the second-worst SEC program historically (and aren't ahead of Vandy by all that much, IMO), but they've played nowhere near that level the last several years.

To continue to talk about them as a team on the rise makes it sound like they're about to start competing for conference titles, which I don't think they'll ever win one.

He has for years . Just win 6 or 7, beat Louisville most of the time, occasionally beat someone you’re not supposed to and we’ll give you a pay increase each year. He’s done that. It does get old hearing the narrative that Stoops would be hugely successful given the resources that other “football” schools have. It’s like the media has decided that Stoops is doing a UK a favor by being there because he’s capable of so much more. It’s absurd that he’s consistently ranked in the 10-15 range for top coaches in the country.
The only thing you can really criticize him for is going 2-9 against Tennessee during one of the worst periods in Tennessee's history, and those 2 wins were against arguably 2 of the worst football teams Tennessee has ever fielded. All of his good/great teams (2018, 2019, 2021) have still somehow managed to lose to us. However, UK has a .220 winning pct against Tennessee all-time so going 2-9 is roughly in line with that.

I could see him absolutely melting at a place that had higher expectations and demands of its football program, especially in light of the comments he just made.

Listening to SEC Network morning show 8am-11am on SiriusXM over the last several weeks (years) and the number of times different hosts mention them as a team on the rise or they should be competing at the top of the SEC East is startling.

The last several years the same dialogue has been mentioned there and on other sports networks and I don't really get it.
Kentucky football is the epitome of fool's gold. Their schedule is typically front loaded with cupcakes and they jump out to a fast start. They always seem to be able to beat Florida and they, along with the media starts to believe they are top tier. Then, they play us and reality sets in and the wheels come off. I live in Kentucky and their annual meltdown is glorious to behold.

I see both angles....Stoops is making a insane amount of $$$$ compared to the everyday JOE who has the Stress and Frustration of paying for Housing, Food, Transportation, Healthcare, Christmas if he has family and friends plus all other expenses modern life incurs he has none of those real world issues to deal with at all he can sit back and never worry about any of those things ever again.

But on the Flip side how can he expect to be competitive with other Programs if they have Professionals that run their NIL collectives and at UK he has to do most of the Leg work to acquire funding etc. and to keep players. No doubt the guy can coach and does a lot with less why hamstring him with another duty that effects the quality of the Football team.
I think his point is UK football is lacking that Collective push the better football programs have backing them. The 15 Club, or whatever, is bush league, and sharing the already skinny resources with Basketball. He is trying to stir alumni and boosters to step up. He's not going anywhere, but he is sounding the alarm that his roster is being wooed by Big 10 and other SEC programs year round. UK NIL funds cannot match the offers his players will inevitably receive after each season. His roster depth is disappearing. He foresees his teams becoming like our 2010's decade; good starting talent and no depth. That is what he can afford to maintain.

His football program is getting left behind, and the addition of Tex and OU will erode UK Football's competitiveness faster and further. Our fans and boosters have stepped up to fund and maintain more competitive baseball and basketball programs in a huge new way. UK's backers from Big$$ to fans paying by the month are not keeping up.

Our Collective has raised our outlook. The same forces that are giving us a newfound competitive edge are burying UK football. UT Football just needed a more level playing field to rise up through rankings again. The new Cash game exposes UK's lack of long-term commitment to elite football, and the continued commitment to basketball excellence. They don't have the financial network to maintain both. I don't think Stoops is complaining about raising$$. All head coaches have done that forever.

Without a major NIL bankroll, UK will never recruit enough talent via the Portal to balance the consistent talent exodus after each season. I understand his point to be his bowl-eligibility streak will end catastrophically with no rebuild in sight because the Portal impotence is matched by NIL/Recruiting being a weakness for attracting High School talent as well.

I think Stoops is telling the truth based on by off and on lurking at the Wildcat lair. It's been mentioned over there about not enough support, and essentially, fans not putting their money where their mouth is, for football. Stoops actually did try to leave UK not long ago, but the TAMU flirtation didn't pan out. For all the talk there, the UK seems unwilling to go all in regarding the NIL. There was talk last year about their AD not seeming to care about keeping up with the UT Bama,, and GA. Not courting NIL help from local businesses, donors, etc. Unless the UK is wildly success this season, I think Stoops will jump ship, he tried to already, remember? He will sign with an NFL team, or move to a lower conference. OR, some struggling P5 school will take a chance on him. I see Colorado unless Deon gets his act together. Or even a struggling B1G team, as he is from that conference area IIRC.

I think Stoops is telling the truth based on by off and on lurking at the Wildcat lair. It's been mentioned over there about not enough support, and essentially, fans not putting their money where their mouth is, for football. Stoops actually did try to leave UK not long ago, but the TAMU flirtation didn't pan out. For all the talk there, the UK seems unwilling to go all in regarding the NIL. There was talk last year about their AD not seeming to care about keeping up with the UT Bama,, and GA. Not courting NIL help from local businesses, donors, etc. Unless the UK is wildly success this season, I think Stoops will jump ship, he tried to already, remember? He will sign with an NFL team, or move to a lower conference. OR, some struggling P5 school will take a chance on him. I see Colorado unless Deon gets his act together. Or even a struggling B1G team, as he is from that conference area IIRC.

An NFL team would have to be completely desperate to even consider hiring Stoops.

Been known to happen. Look at coaches the Panthers hire.
Working for Tepper is the best gig in sports. Sign a 5 year contract, get canned before the end of year 1 and sit around fat, dumb and happy for the next 4+ years hammering checks.

Stoops is essentially getting over 1 million dollars per win for as long as wants to stay there. He's not going to get another deal anywhere near that anywhere else.

Which is why I hate the tipping culture we have. To me tips an extra tax imposed on customers who should only be required to pay for what they ordered.
Walmart lost a subscribing customer because of this. Especially when a driver, only 1/2 mile away from the store, refused to make a delivery because I checked the $4 option instead of something closer to $10. Besides, I figured I needed the exercise, and if raining the cost of gas for such a short drive was probably less than the tip. I steeled my resolve when I saw a curbside pickup paying a tip as well. I didn't know that was a necessity.

Which is why I hate the tipping culture we have. To me tips an extra tax imposed on customers who should only be required to pay for what they ordered.
Walmart lost a subscribing customer because of this. Especially when a driver, only 1/2 mile away from the store, refused to make a delivery because I checked the $4 option instead of something closer to $10. Besides, I figured I needed the exercise, and if raining the cost of gas for such a short drive was probably less than the tip. I steeled my resolve when I saw a curbside pickup paying a tip as well. I didn't know that was a necessity.
A bit far from the original topic but I don't get a discount for ringing up my purchases.

If I did, I might choose that option over having it brought to the car or house.

Shifting the cashiering to me without giving me a discount is pretty obviously a cost saving money grab for them.

Shifting some of the responsibility for paying their remaining labor to me via expecting me to tip is another obvious attempt for them to attract and underpay labor by advertising "wages + tips."

This isn't restaurant work, where I see tipping as an incentive to offer me a pleasant experience interacting with them.

This was originally designed and offered as a safe, low exposure to contact way for them to retain business during a pandemic, not a perk to me, but a way for their business to survive.

It's BS that stores are now trying to morph this into a "value added" service.

VN Store

Back