Stoops getting fed up with lack of support

A bit far from the original topic but I don't get a discount for ringing up my purchases.

If I did, I might choose that option over having it brought to the car or house.

Shifting the cashiering to me without giving me a discount is pretty obviously a cost saving money grab for them.

Shifting some of the responsibility for paying their remaining labor to me via expecting me to tip is another obvious attempt for them to attract and underpay labor by advertising "wages + tips."

This isn't restaurant work, where I see tipping as an incentive to offer me a pleasant experience interacting with them.

This was originally designed and offered as a safe, low exposure to contact way for them to retain business during a pandemic, not a perk to me, but a way for their business to survive.

It's BS that stores are now trying to morph this into a "value added" service.
Agreed. But I'll shut up at that. Didn't mean to drag the thread so far away.

Complaining about working hard when you make almost $9M with a massive buyout in one of the poorest states in the union in this economy is a bold choice
There must be some big money in Kentsucky------they have a pretty big horse race there every year that is not a cheap ticket

Which is why I hate the tipping culture we have. To me tips an extra tax imposed on customers who should only be required to pay for what they ordered.
Walmart lost a subscribing customer because of this. Especially when a driver, only 1/2 mile away from the store, refused to make a delivery because I checked the $4 option instead of something closer to $10. Besides, I figured I needed the exercise, and if raining the cost of gas for such a short drive was probably less than the tip. I steeled my resolve when I saw a curbside pickup paying a tip as well. I didn't know that was a necessity.
In 1966 before I started HS, I went to work for a small grocery store for .95 an hour, unless it Christmas no one tipped the bag boy, even then it wasn't much.

Now everyone wants a tip. Last summer we replaced our deck abt $12K towards the end of day 2 the contractor says his guys are usually tipped $100 at the finish of work. The rest of that conversation didn't go well, especially after I asked for a military discount.

In 1966 before I started HS, I went to work for a small grocery store for .95 an hour, unless it Christmas no one tipped the bag boy, even then it wasn't much.

Now everyone wants a tip. Last summer we replaced our deck abt $12K towards the end of day 2 the contractor says his guys are usually tipped $100 at the finish of work. The rest of that conversation didn't go well, especially after I asked for a military discount.
I believe with the increasing negative economics, people are going to stop using services due to this tipping thing. Already, Shirley and I have all but ceased eating out. Because more places include the gratuity in your bill. When we saw a 25% one on our receipt, we quietly paid. Walked out, never returned, advised friends to not go there. From what I've seen, three such restaurants have left town (we're small to begin with), several others look run down, and few vehicles are there on any given day. Shirley and I, and some family members are copying us, we scour Youtube for recipes and step by step on making specialty dishes ourselves. Or print out recipes from the many you find online. The beauty? We take turns cooking. We team cook and chat more. We save a lot of money. And I think our food tastes better, since many ingredients are purchased from the various outdoor farmers' markets here. We'd still eat out if they hadn't gotten so greedy about the tips. I think more people will, if not already, go the route Shirley and went.

Last edited:
I believe with the increasing negative economics, people are going to stop using services due to this tipping thing. Already, Shirley and I have all but ceased eating out. Because more places include the gratuity in your bill. When we say a 25% one on our receipt, we quietly paid. Walked out, never returned, advised friend to not go there. From what I've seen, three such restaurants have left town (we're small to begin with), several others look run down, and few vehicles are there on any given day. Shirley and I, and some family members are copying us, we scour Youtube for recipes and step by step on making specialty dishes ourselves. Or print out recipes from the many you find online. The beauty? We take turns cooking. We team cook and chat more. We save a lot of money. And i think our food tastes better, since many ingredients are purchased from the various outdoor farmers' markets here. We'd still eat out if they hadn't gotten so greedy about the tips. I think more people will, if not already, go the route Shirley and went.
1722098404034.gif

Reactions: Godfatha
My wife and I both worked in the restaurant business in college. She waited and I cooked and waited tables and bar (not together yet).
We are good tippers because we know it is a challenging way to make ends meet, but restaurant prices have priced us out, like so many other things we have enjoyed. Prices doubled for most things, and my salary has stayed the same (2% raise last year; first in a while).

We mainly eat at restaurants only when we go out of town.

I respect anyone who can make a living in the restaurant business. It is generally a low reward business and margins are very tight.
I don't tip someone who simply handed me something.

We also do not do business with the local restaurants we know do not give employees their tips. I do not know how that is legal, because even a child would think their tip goes to the staff, but there are two restaurants in town that keep all tips left at checkout. I know the servers probably get minimum wage or more, but it is still a fleecing and breach of trust with the customer to leave tips for staff with the ownership and ownership secretly keeps it. If an owner wants to do business that way, they should at least have the balls to announce it on a sign at the checkout.

Since they keep it on the down low, they know they are basically tricking customers.

Nobody is turning KY into a powerhouse. They are south of OSU and PSU and north of UT and Clemson. Any top athlete in that area is going to get cherry picked by us or the other three. Stoops ceiling is 7 to 8 wins just based on that alone. Plus the whole damn state of KY is back ass.
Stoops has won 9 regular season games (10 counting bowls) twice. I'd say that's the ceiling.

My wife and I both worked in the restaurant business in college. She waited and I cooked and waited tables and bar (not together yet).
We are good tippers because we know it is a challenging way to make ends meet, but restaurant prices have priced us out, like so many other things we have enjoyed. Prices doubled for most things, and my salary has stayed the same (2% raise last year; first in a while).

We mainly eat at restaurants only when we go out of town.

I respect anyone who can make a living in the restaurant business. It is generally a low reward business and margins are very tight.
I don't tip someone who simply handed me something.

We also do not do business with the local restaurants we know do not give employees their tips. I do not know how that is legal, because even a child would think their tip goes to the staff, but there are two restaurants in town that keep all tips left at checkout. I know the servers probably get minimum wage or more, but it is still a fleecing and breach of trust with the customer to leave tips for staff with the ownership and ownership secretly keeps it. If an owner wants to do business that way, they should at least have the balls to announce it on a sign at the checkout.

Since they keep it on the down low, they know they are basically tricking customers.
I waited tables for a little bit at various places. I always try to be generous w/ tipping at restaurants. However, thereā€™s something that pisses me off when that kid flips the iPad around and is like ā€œwe just need you to answer a couple of questionsā€. Iā€™m getting to the point where if Iā€™m standing up when I order and receive my food Iā€™m not going to tip unless i go to the business regularly. Iā€™m a big believer in that if I take care of you , you take care of me.

I waited tables for a little bit at various places. I always try to be generous w/ tipping at restaurants. However, thereā€™s something that pisses me off when that kid flips the iPad around and is like ā€œwe just need you to answer a couple of questionsā€. Iā€™m getting to the point where if Iā€™m standing up when I order and receive my food Iā€™m not going to tip unless i go to the business regularly. Iā€™m a big believer in that if I take care of you , you take care of me.
Yeah, I don't have any intentions of tipping someone for checking me out.
I think this is often a case of employers trying to deflect the pressures of wage inflation of(f of --edit) themselves.
"I will not give you a raise, but I will install a front of house system that will passively pressure the customer to tip you."

Last edited:
He has for years . Just win 6 or 7, beat Louisville most of the time, occasionally beat someone youā€™re not supposed to and weā€™ll give you a pay increase each year. Heā€™s done that. It does get old hearing the narrative that Stoops would be hugely successful given the resources that other ā€œfootballā€ schools have. Itā€™s like the media has decided that Stoops is doing a UK a favor by being there because heā€™s capable of so much more. Itā€™s absurd that heā€™s consistently ranked in the 10-15 range for top coaches in the country.
Absolutelyā€¦if Stoops is so great, go somewhere and be great. Or, stay where you are and make $9 million for being mediocre. Either way stop feeding the media your sob story.

Nobody is turning KY into a powerhouse. They are south of OSU and PSU and north of UT and Clemson. Any top athlete in that area is going to get cherry picked by us or the other three. Stoops ceiling is 7 to 8 wins just based on that alone. Plus the whole damn state of KY is back ass.

Stoops will always be fighting a losing battle to Kentucky's basketball program and it is ALWAYS SWEET to beat Kentucky in men's basketball.

He's had opportunities to leave. He stayed. He chose to stay. He chose to stay for money when he might have had to take a step back to go to a school more serious about football. Surely by now he's not so stupid as to think that UK is going to become a football school?

Complaining about the "free agent" thing. People seldom leave a "great" job just for money. I've had guys stay when they could have gotten a 25% increase somewhere else because they believed in their team and what they were doing and felt like they got respect. Maybe... just maybe... he needs to look either at his own leadership or the types of players he's recruiting. If he's recruiting mercenaries... he's getting what he asked for whether he really wants it or not.

I get it... Burnout happens when you've done the best you can do to turn around a "basketball school" in the SEC.... He can find somewhere with less pressure and coach. A lot of coaches do that. He could also wait out his alma mater Iowa to fire Lafrenze for their less than stellar offense which I wouldn't recommend. I agree that they're going to be coach searching soon due to Stoops being burnt out.
He made a choice as have UKs boosters. If they consider football and excuse to tailgate until basketball season then he's not going to change that. The "best" schools have come to realize that major sports compliment each other and should not be competing for oxygen. UT has high level men's programs in the three major sports. UGA has made some progress in other sports. Bama has. OSU. Michigan. TAM. FSU. UF is failing but sees the value in it. Even USCe has recent success in multiple sports.

If he was unrealistic in his expectations of UK... then that's on him. He should take another job. If money is an obstacle then why is he such a bad investor. Many of us could take his salary for one year and never work again. If it is really about getting support then leave... don't complain that the world won't reshape itself around what you want.

not stooge related but this is hilarious

your std crane flag

1722467406942.png

gives TENNESSEE an unfair recruiting advantage i tell ya what

3chyn7.jpg

Well Mark checked out at UK and was gone to Texas only to find himself suddenly back/embarrassed and is a very bitter man. He has large alimony payments and needed a change of scenery. It sounds like he is worn out and ready for the Coastal Carolina job or something similar for Jimmy Buffet time.

VN Store

Back