Stoops getting fed up with lack of support

Yeah, I don't have any intentions of tipping someone for checking me out.
I think this is often a case of employers trying to deflect the pressures of wage inflation of(f of --edit) themselves.
"I will not give you a raise, but I will install a front of house system that will passively pressure the customer to tip you."
Our Lawn Service guy we contracted has a place for being tipped but GF doesn't tip at all for the Lawn Service and I agree with her it's nuts to tip the lawn guy when he quoted the price.... and jeez he even have to weed eat cause I liquid edge the crap out of everything. Heck back in my home town we never tipped the Barber either. Didn't know that was a thing till I went to College. I don't have a issue with tipping at a Restaurant at all. Fast Food not so much. I have no issue tipping the delivery people from the Pizza Place or Wal-Marts. Don't tip if I'm picking up a delivery though.

Working for Tepper is the best gig in sports. Sign a 5 year contract, get canned before the end of year 1 and sit around fat, dumb and happy for the next 4+ years hammering checks.

Stoops is essentially getting over 1 million dollars per win for as long as wants to stay there. He's not going to get another deal anywhere near that anywhere else.
Never underestimate human stupidity.

My wife and I both worked in the restaurant business in college. She waited and I cooked and waited tables and bar (not together yet).
We are good tippers because we know it is a challenging way to make ends meet, but restaurant prices have priced us out, like so many other things we have enjoyed. Prices doubled for most things, and my salary has stayed the same (2% raise last year; first in a while).

We mainly eat at restaurants only when we go out of town.

I respect anyone who can make a living in the restaurant business. It is generally a low reward business and margins are very tight.
I don't tip someone who simply handed me something.

We also do not do business with the local restaurants we know do not give employees their tips. I do not know how that is legal, because even a child would think their tip goes to the staff, but there are two restaurants in town that keep all tips left at checkout. I know the servers probably get minimum wage or more, but it is still a fleecing and breach of trust with the customer to leave tips for staff with the ownership and ownership secretly keeps it. If an owner wants to do business that way, they should at least have the balls to announce it on a sign at the checkout.

Since they keep it on the down low, they know they are basically tricking customers.
Do you live in Knoxville? I wouldn't patronize a restaurant that had such a practice. That's dishonest as hell.

Reactions: SpookyAction
not stooge related but this is hilarious

your std crane flag

View attachment 663483

gives TENNESSEE an unfair recruiting advantage i tell ya what
A company I worked for here in Knoxville did the steel erection of Rupp Arena a few years ago and flew the UT flag from the crane. People weren't too happy about that.

Do you live in Knoxville? I wouldn't patronize a restaurant that had such a practice. That's dishonest as hell.
its always worth asking, especially if you are at a ball game or other large event. a lot of times the workers don't get the tip money.

Did the establishment note somewhere (on menu, etc.) that the restaurants take the tips, but pay servers a traditional salary that is well over minimum wage? I've eaten at several restaurants where they've disclosed this.

If they are making a salary that is comparable/same to what they'd be making under a below minimum wage + tips set up, then I don't see how it is dishonest.

Reactions: SpookyAction
West TN

It is the most popular restaurant in the county, and everyone that visits from out of town wants to eat there. I tell them they can go on their own.

I am sure the pay @$11/hr the last couple of years.
I never saw a message about tips, ate there regularly (@10 times per year), and knew the menu due to trying as many menu items as possible.
I don't think that is really compensation for minimum wage+lost tips.
This place has two levels, three dining rooms, and a 90 minute wait time Th-Sat. Potential tips would be substantial.

The owner and family drive G Wagons.

Screw stoops and kensucky...and I hope he stays there for a long time, really like owning his arse

Stoops has won 9 regular season games (10 counting bowls) twice. I'd say that's the ceiling.

Aren’t we going to like a straight sec schedule soon with only 1 ooc? Three of those wins are d2 teams. I don’t see him beating 8 SEC teams. Vandy, USC, Miss St, Ark is most I see. Where will he gets his other 4 wins?

Serious question….

Aren’t we going to like a straight sec schedule soon with only 1 ooc? Three of those wins are d2 teams. I don’t see him beating 8 SEC teams. Vandy, USC, Miss St, Ark is most I see. Where will he gets his other 4 wins?

Serious question….
The proposal has been 9 SEC games with either 1 or 3 permanent opponents and the remaining rotating.

And UK has opposed going to any 9 game SEC schedule. They know it would make it much harder to get bowl eligible.

Reactions: NEO and VolNExile
Did the establishment note somewhere (on menu, etc.) that the restaurants take the tips, but pay servers a traditional salary that is well over minimum wage? I've eaten at several restaurants where they've disclosed this.

If they are making a salary that is comparable/same to what they'd be making under a below minimum wage + tips set up, then I don't see how it is dishonest.
I suppose that no reasonable person would tip even a penny if that were the announced situation. Why would you tip the owner of a restaurant? That would explain why they don't announce it.

The proposal has been 9 SEC games with either 1 or 3 permanent opponents and the remaining rotating.

And UK has opposed going to any 9 game SEC schedule. They know it would make it much harder to get bowl eligible.

Imagine you are Ky and your schedule is Bama, GA, LSU, TN, FL, Ok, TX, Auburn, MO.

I mean would you want to do that gauntlet? Holy hell.

What a whiner lol. How many people would kill for that job? Stfu. Median salary in this country is $41k a year according to FRED data. Perspective.

Put $9M a year in my pocket, I’ll have more energy than a nuclear reactor. Bust my @$$ recruiting/portaling/coaching. Maybe he can drive south, follow Heupel around and take notes.

Reactions: VolNExile
I don't know why everyone is riding Stoops ass here. I imagine the guy is just a coach who wants to coach, not to be a glorified fundraiser who occasionally changes plays from the sidelines. Spending every day with your hat in your hand begging for funds is not what football coaches do - well, not what they used to do. I mean, okay, they have to do it now, because that's what we've made the sport into, granted. But Stoops is right - every program has to "make payroll" for 100 guys every year now. A constant negotation with players who will never be satisfied. Only satisfied for the moment. That's never been part of the job, prior to NIL. So, I get it. He's in hostile waters and he's a small fish in a big conference.

I imagine he'll check out soon, and either go down to a lower level or find some other position related to football. Wouldn't blame him at all. I think we'll see a lot of coaching turnover in the next 5-10 years where they're all saying similar things.
Yep. The NIL money is going to kill college football for many programs. It will probably be the mid tier teams (like Kentucky) that feel it the worst. The only saving grace I can see is that the universities will be allowed to treat the athletes as employees, and sign them to contracts. That would stem the blood loss of star players when Bama or Georgia comes calling.

Being at Kentucky is a mixed blessing and curse. For a competitor, not quite ever getting over the jump has to be incredibly frustrating. On the other hand, the lower fan expectations are what have enabled him to remain in that position for 12 seasons.
That kind of stability in the SEC in 2024 is not something to be taken lightly

Because he’s an average coach at best getting over paid at a basketball school. He should give Kentucky props. If he was anywhere else he would have been fired 5 years ago. I’m tired of the constant whining every off season from that jackwagon. Kentucky deserves better. He needs to go coach HS, but you know what’s not in HS? 8 million a year. Dude wants to have his cake and eat it too, meanwhile has a better life than 90% of our population right now. The day that dude leaves college football will be a great day for me. And Kentucky fans wether they know it or not
Thinking from a purely financial standpoint the number is more like 99.99%!

VN Store

Back