Student Loan Forgiveness, Free College

So a student accrues $40K in debt and gets a job starting at $45K. They are on a career path to making six figures or close and we should use tax dollars to forgive that debt?

Our grads in business are in this position (though they probably don't have that kind of debt). Should they be getting de facto welfare?

I'll become a single issue voter if this is on the table. It's outright dumb and unfair. Warren must be desperate to play this vote buying card.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
I'll become a single issue voter if this is on the table. It's outright dumb and unfair. Warren must be desperate to play this vote buying card.

she is desperate and has no chance - the problem is other dumbasses with more of a chance will adopt her dumbass ideas.

Reactions: hog88 and dezul
Interesting thread on a student's experience in financing college.

I like how one guy shares his experience and people want to hang him and say it’s just his anecdotal story. But another girl shares her equally anecdotal story and those same people love it. I didn’t study abroad and worked five of my six spring breaks if it makes that girl feel any better.

Reactions: volinbham and Weezy
ep_chart_001.png
Now show the student loan debt rates by each educational attainment

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
Now show the student loan debt rates by each educational attainment
I'd also like to see trade/vocational school training included in those numbers. But you hit on a metric that you will never get them to admit; that of debt. I am sure you can come up with a ratio of debt (and not just srudent debt) to earnings, and then project it forward to see how long it would take to reach a certain threshhold of earnings etc etc etc. I'm way too lazy, but it would be an interesting study

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I'd also like to see trade/vocational school training included in those numbers. But you hit on a metric that you will never get them to admit; that of debt. I am sure you can come up with a ratio of debt (and not just srudent debt) to earnings, and then project it forward to see how long it would take to reach a certain threshhold of earnings etc etc etc. I'm way too lazy, but it would be an interesting study
If weren't all caught up making good feels for students and taking days off for climate change protests we could teach high school students how to calculate the cost of school, the payback rate, the interest accumlation, and the debt payments, etc. It would take all of a day, an Excel workbook, and a assignment. But we don't want to scare potential English majors.

If weren't all caught up making good feels for students and taking days off for climate change protests we could teach high school students how to calculate the cost of school, the payback rate, the interest accumlation, and the debt payments, etc. It would take all of a day, an Excel workbook, and a assignment. But we don't want to scare potential English majors.
I have actually thought about teaching a money seminar at the local high school for students that are interested. But i am thinking it would be taboo.

What are you basing this on? The same people who would be going into manufacturing jobs would be doing these service jobs, so a tariff to protect manufacturing would directly damage the economy (anywhere from a small to massive scale), tax Americans, and also hurt the service industry's labor supply. It really depends on the tariff. Saying "any tariff" is just hyperbole, and I hope you really don't believe that.
At least in the built world labor has surpassed material costs. And that's general labor. For the trades mentioned it's even worse.

Funny that a professional degree does better than any one else. My professional degree is a Bachelors btw. Interesting to see them split out professional from the rest.

I think this just reinforces the idea that too many people are getting worthless degrees. A professional degree delivers the best bang for the buck, but theres a significant difference in the numbers for the rest of degrees

Funny that a professional degree does better than any one else. My professional degree is a Bachelors btw. Interesting to see them split out professional from the rest.

I think this just reinforces the idea that too many people are getting worthless degrees. A professional degree delivers the best bang for the buck, but theres a significant difference in the numbers for the rest of degrees
Notice that chart is also only for those fully employed and over the age of 25. Someone with a HS degree can spend 7 years unemployed before making this chart.

Notice that chart is also only for those fully employed and over the age of 25. Someone with a HS degree can spend 7 years unemployed before making this chart.
same with college students. I think a good bit of those graduating don't immediately get jobs now. depending on the degree that's probably 4 years down to 2 or 1, before they show up on the chart.

I would also love to see those break downs on field of degree and field of work for those in the chart. I would think that would be a better gauge on the "how much is a diploma worth"

oh jeez, this is old. but it was a kick in the nuts
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...r-major/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.2aa9b06c9261

here is another. 43% of grads are working jobs that don't advertise a job requiring a degree. and something like 60% of them never get a job in the degree field. 30ish percent of grads never work in a field that requires a degree. this doesn't even get into the specifics of working your degree field. which has to be worse than the numbers above.
Study Suggests Many College Graduates are ‘Underemployed’

oof.

oh jeez, this is old. but it was a kick in the nuts
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...r-major/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.2aa9b06c9261

here is another. 43% of grads are working jobs that don't advertise a job requiring a degree. and something like 60% of them never get a job in the degree field. 30ish percent of grads never work in a field that requires a degree. this doesn't even get into the specifics of working your degree field. which has to be worse than the numbers above.
Study Suggests Many College Graduates are ‘Underemployed’

oof.
And there is nothing wrong with that other than all the $$$$$$ spent to get a degree and never use it.

VN Store

Back