Summer ball 2024

My better half and I attended our first Forest City Owls game tonight courtesy of @1RBFjr. It was a great time and the hospitality and environment was stellar. I would say (no offense to the Smokies) that I doubt you’ll find a friendlier ballpark in America.

My personal highlight was seeing Zane Denton pinch hit in the 9th (he still has that great eye as he drew a walk) and getting to tell him how much I appreciated all he did for the Vols. He still has that wonderful smile and looks great. I hope he crushes it for Austin Peay. He’s a special player and young man. If you get a chance, go see the Owls and support a former Vol and 2 current Vols. Thank you @1RBFjr!

1721355917066.jpeg

My better half and I attended our first Forest City Owls game tonight courtesy of @1RBFjr. It was a great time and the hospitality and environment was stellar. I would say (no offense to the Smokies) that I doubt you’ll find a friendlier ballpark in America.

My personal highlight was seeing Zane Denton pinch hit in the 9th (he still has that great eye as he drew a walk) and getting to tell him how much I appreciated all he did for the Vols. He still has that wonderful smile and looks great. I hope he crushes it for Austin Peay. He’s a special player and young man. If you get a chance, go see the Owls and support a former Vol and 2 current Vols. Thank you @1RBFjr!

View attachment 660011
I’m happy you all had fun.

That little kid in the foreground of your first photo is Chase. He is a four-year-old bundle of fun. Great personality. He goes out on the field and throws pregame with the players and they’ll give him grounders. He’ll also go hang out in the dugout pregame. He knows everybody’s name, and everybody knows his name.

I’m happy you all had fun.

That little kid in the foreground of your first photo is Chase. He is a four-year-old bundle of fun. Great personality. He goes out on the field and throws pregame with the players and they’ll give him grounders. He’ll also go hang out in the dugout pregame. He knows everybody’s name, and everybody knows his name.
Oh yes, I heard Chase loud and clear. He was interacting with the players and they showed him a lot of attention and love. Watching Chase and his joy was infectious.

Unless you are watching daily, easy to look at numbers and say guys are struggling. Pitchers are learning new pitches that are not in reports, 3 man umpire crews and some missed called with umpires out of position and just in over their heads. Fields are huge, one Centerfield is 435, some LF and RF lines are 350. Drew Burres, freshman of the year, left the Cape hitting .125.

Why do the college summer leagues use wooden bats when all of the players will be returning to college? I assume it’s for MLB Scouts and projecting wooden bat stats? Seems like it would be better to leverage the bats that they will be using in college. I bet it’s a huge adjustment using a wooden bat (and yes I know that most of the PBR and PG summer showcases use wooden bats too).

Why do the college summer leagues use wooden bats when all of the players will be returning to college? I assume it’s for MLB Scouts and projecting wooden bat stats? Seems like it would be better to leverage the bats that they will be using in college. I bet it’s a huge adjustment using a wooden bat (and yes I know that most of the PBR and PG summer showcases use wooden bats too).
For the summer league teams that supply the wooden bats, there would be a good bit saved if players could swing their college season bats instead. We order boxes and boxes of bats. Scouts see college play with composite bats starting in February for about four months, so they get to see how the players handle wooden bats for about 2.5 months. And it's tradition to swing wood in the summer :)

VN Store

Back