Taliban Taking Over Afghanistan - Does anyone care?

Do you care?

• No

Votes: 40 23.4%
  • Hell No

Votes: 47 27.5%
  • Yes, we should invade and send in Troops

Votes: 25 14.6%
  • I like Pie

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
No good options here. Intervene and hunt them all down and a bunch of innocent people die. Don’t intervene and a bunch of innocent people die. All the options in between also suck. The only way to end it is to cut off all their support with is hard to do because the folks in that region of the world are ideologically bound.
Ya, I've softened my stance on "we should free the world." I don't think it's possible in the middle east unless you're willing to go nuclear (maybe literally) on groups like the Taliban. The ideology of those regions aren't something you can overcome. They'll always have a huge base of support from the locals, and usually those supporting democracy are in the minority. We'd be better off spending our resources helping people who want out relocate to better places.

I don't blame Biden for pulling out (probably could have been done better), because I think this is pretty solid evidence that we can't convert the world to our way of thinking, even with 20 years and billions (maybe trillions) of dollars. Unless we're willing to go nuclear, and I don't think that's the right way to go about it.

The real disgrace about almost every conflict/war/tragedy or whatever someone might call them from Viet Nam forward is that we didn't fight to win; we pulled our punches, and that is the disgrace to the people who fought and especially those who died there. The early phases in Iraq where the strategy was to knock out air defenses and communications was perhaps the only time since WW2 that the US used the military wisely. In Viet Nam we let them complete SAM sites and couldn't attack them until they fired against us ... stupid, stupid, stupid.
The real disgrace is that we sent young men to go die in those holes for nothing. Vietnam, Iraq, Afg were all useless exercises that did nothing but pay off the MIC

For sure. Years ago, I read a book on the Taliban’s rise in the 1990s. They are brutal totalitarians. They murdered thousands of people during their rise, in some cases throwing them in pits and tossing in hand grenades. Raping young women. They will absolutely harbor terrorists who will strike the West.
When over half the country supports them, there's nothing we can do without the rest of the world agreeing that it's OK to go nuclear on them.

I would argue that the Gospel is the answer in that it teaches you to live your enemies as one of the core values. This would likely result in a tremendous loss of life for Christ followers, but it wouldn’t be the first time.
It would take quite the miracle to convert enough of the middle east for that to work. But definitely glad there are missionaries out there trying to do that.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Ya, I've softened my stance on "we should free the world." I don't think it's possible in the middle east unless you're willing to go nuclear (maybe literally) on groups like the Taliban. The ideology of those regions aren't something you can overcome. They'll always have a huge base of support from the locals, and usually those supporting democracy are in the minority. We'd be better off spending our resources helping people who want out relocate to better places.

I don't blame Biden for pulling out (probably could have been done better), because I think this is pretty solid evidence that we can't convert the world to our way of thinking, even with 20 years and billions (maybe trillions) of dollars. Unless we're willing to go nuclear, and I don't think that's the right way to go about it.

It’s over simplistic to say, but engaging in significant prolonged conflict in Afghanistan helped expedite the downfall of the Soviet Union. It’s just a black hole that sucks in any outside interloper’s men and treasure. That story is repeated all the way back into antiquity.

I don’t like the idea of a barbaric Taliban running rampant and doing awful things to the citizens of that country. But I don’t really think it’s worth any more loss of American life or treasure to stabilize an essentially, inherently unstable region.

You cant fight a religion. All these guys that join are muslim extremists. That country could never have been contained . If we had Israeli's security at airports and actually enforced our immigration laws, 9/11 doesn't happen and neither does Afghanistan

LMFAO that **** stain Biden of course blames Trump for bungling a withdrawal from a war we’ve been fighting for 20 years and have had a year to prepare for the withdrawal. What an ass hat.

Epic fail by Beijing Biden to tie this toTrump! Trump knew there had to be some type of agreement that involved the Taliban. Clearly Handsome Jo doesn't get that. The US hasn't been in combat activities since 2014. They provided intelligence and air cover for the Afghan military. Slo Jo took it away against the advice of military officials. The operations we were conducting were meant to keep us from having another 9/11 that Afghanistan will become as a breeding ground for terrorist organizing.

This does not mean we should stay over, but it means Trump was very savvy and obviously more adept than 5 decade Biden.

Gates Stands By Statement That Biden Has Been Wrong On Nearly Every Major Foreign Policy Question

No. We have too many that hate this country. They would never allow it
It is not so much that as Americans are hooked on convenience. They HATE the lines at airport security as it is and frankly I don't blame them. If they had to quadruple (or worse) those wait times while they underwent a personal secondary interview as to why they were getting on an airplane, they would go absolutely bonkers. We could never pull that off here. But interestingly enough, I remember an interview with the security chief of El Al right after 9/11 when asked what they were going to do differently security wise, he replied "nothing".

Reactions: AM64
If the Taliban actually harms any Americans, they are idiots. They could basically wait us out and let us withdraw all our personnel and have the country all to themselves. Kill an American and they invite us to start this whole damn thing all over again. We won't win, but neither will they. The way for them to win is to just let us leave.

VN Store

Back