Taliban Taking Over Afghanistan - Does anyone care?

Do you care?

• No

Votes: 40 23.4%
  • Hell No

Votes: 47 27.5%
  • Yes, we should invade and send in Troops

Votes: 25 14.6%
  • I like Pie

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
It’s not just Biden, although he’s ultimately responsible since it’s on his watch. Pompeo is the one who negotiated the timeline and basically hung the Afghan government out to dry.
Do you think the current president should have at least evacuated the Americans before he left the rest to slaughter? What about the Afganis that helped us? What about our weapons? It's 100% **** show that falls squarely on the shoulders of this administration. He should be removed from office before he can do any more damage. The guy's a complete vegetable.

Do you think the current president should have at least evacuated the Americans before he left the rest to slaughter? What about the Afganis that helped us? What about our weapons? It's 100% **** show that falls squarely on the shoulders of this administration. He should be removed from office before he can do any more damage. The guy's a complete vegetable.
Where the frick did I defend Biden?

I said he’s ultimately responsible.

Where the frick did I defend Biden?

I said he’s ultimately responsible.
You deflected blame to others. While the decision to pull out wasn't his the methods are. He owns this 100%. Anyone that voted for this mush for brains administration owns it as well (not saying you did). Like I said, at least we don't have someone tweeting out mean and hurtful things.

It was going to end like this no matter when we left or who was in charge. Afghanistan never, at any point, had a viable government the entire time we were there. It's why we were there for 20 years before finally just saying "F it." It is a totally ungovernable territory geographically and probably culturally (at least as the West defines a modern government) and has been that way for hundreds of years.

Can you imagine the media coverage if this was happening with Trump in office though? Holy cow.

It’s not just Biden, although he’s ultimately responsible since it’s on his watch. Pompeo is the one who negotiated the timeline and basically hung the Afghan government out to dry.
It's on his watch because he made the actual decision to pull out without a plan. Pompeo, trump, etc are not relevant in this event. They just aren't. Biden on day one could have said no. Instead he signed off on all events surrounding this moment. It's Biden and his admin. That's it. Not pompeo, not trump, not Obama. Biden hung the afgan gov to dry. No one else.

It was going to end like this no matter when we left or who was in charge. Afghanistan never, at any point, had a viable government the entire time we were there. It's why we were there for 20 years before finally just saying "F it." It is a totally ungovernable territory geographically and probably culturally (at least as the West defines a modern government) and has been that way for hundreds of years.

Can you imagine the media coverage if this was happening with Trump in office though? Holy cow.

To be honest, I think this happens no matter who we have in office. This is more of a failure of Modern Culture and its inability to understand what it TRULY takes to win wars or protect your country. You cannot fight wars and expect to avoid civilian casualties. You cannot arrest terrorists and warlords and just throw them in prison and expect a change. People are NOT afraid of us anymore.

Our culture is broken and has been for 50-60 years now.

So you can go point the finger at Bush, Obama, Trump, or Biden. However, the sad fact is that we have no hope of winning a war again using the tactics we currently use for war. The only way to win would be to change tactics and beliefs.

Reactions: AM64

I think this is the reason Trump never left--he was afraid of seeing the TV images we're seeing now.

Reactions: AM64 and Wireless1
To be honest, I think this happens no matter who we have in office. This is more of a failure of Modern Culture and its inability to understand what it TRULY takes to win wars or protect your country. You cannot fight wars and expect to avoid civilian casualties. You cannot arrest terrorists and warlords and just throw them in prison and expect a change. People are NOT afraid of us anymore.

Our culture is broken and has been for 50-60 years now.

So you can go point the finger at Bush, Obama, Trump, or Biden. However, the sad fact is that we have no hope of winning a war again using the tactics we currently use for war. The only way to win would be to change tactics and beliefs.
I point the finger at them all, and the conventional foreign policy wisdom of our elites. We didn't lose this war because our culture is bad or anything else.

Afghanistan was an unwinnable war and this was known from the beginning, at least if the definition of "winning" was rebuilding the country and leaving it with a modern, Western-style democracy. Afghanistan is one of those locales on earth where I think it is impossible to have that. It's called "the graveyard of empires" for a reason.

Exactly. A country without a national identity will always end up like this. The army isn't going to fight to defend Afghanistan because that means very little to them. We spent years over there and it was going to crumble the minute we left. Should have just done it a decade ago or more

I think this withdrawal could’ve been executed better in a lot of ways. If they could’ve kept Bagram open they should’ve . We wouldn’t be seeing the logistical nightmare we’ve been seeing and we should’ve kept troops there until the proper state department folks, interpreters, etc… had a safe way to leave.

Reactions: AM64 and StarRaider

Agree with all of this. And the Biden administration screwed the pooch here, but my point all along is I think any one of Bush, Obama, and Trump would have as well. This was a no win situation.

I say we leave it alone. If another attack is staged from there we just air strike the crap out of them and insert small SF teams for surgical strikes. Our days of nation building are done.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I think this withdrawal could’ve been executed better in a lot of ways. If they could’ve kept Bagram open they should’ve . We wouldn’t be seeing the logistical nightmare we’ve been seeing and we should’ve kept troops there until the proper state department folks, interpreters, etc… had a safe way to leave.
As long as we would be leaving the country without a viable government in place, this was going to be the end result.

Agree with all of this. And the Biden administration screwed the pooch here, but my point all along is I think any one of Bush, Obama, and Trump would have as well. This was a no win situation.

I say we leave it alone. If another attack is staged from there we just air strike the crap out of them and insert small SF teams for surgical strikes. Our days of nation building are done.
It is what should have been done from the very beginning after 9/11. Not a full-scale invasion of the entire country/overthrow of the Taliban.

If you cannot win (and our foreign policy establishment knew this), the only move is to not play. They always knew from the outset that we could not "win," at least as they defined winning.

Exactly. A country without a national identity will always end up like this. The army isn't going to fight to defend Afghanistan because that means very little to them. We spent years over there and it was going to crumble the minute we left. Should have just done it a decade ago or more
I think we should have remained at the bases, as a deterrent. But clearly the efforts we made to train their military were a huge waste.

VN Store

Back