Tennessee Lady Vol News

IMG_5023.jpegPost like this are making me 😍❤️😍❤️😍

I mean, “LIFE UPGRADE” come on!?!?! Amazing.

Everyone seems to be in such a positive head space. I love how active and involved the coaches are in practice. They are out there getting after it, giving their all for Tennessee as well.

No standing around with a whistle for this crew, they are in the trenches and I love it.

View attachment 658103Post like this are making me 😍❤️😍❤️😍

Everyone seems to be in such a positive head space. I love how active and involved the coaches are in practice. They are out there getting after it, giving their all for Tennessee as well.

No standing around with a whistle for this crew, they are in the trenches and I love it.
She’s gonna remind everyone why she was the 2022 SEC freshman of the year! 🔥

View attachment 658103Post like this are making me 😍❤️😍❤️😍

agree,,,the posts of workouts I have seen so far ARE actual workouts
Love that

My mic'd up takeaway, maybe a strange takeaway, head basketball coaches have to have a head coach voice.

Barnes has it, Pearl had it, Vitello has it. Pat Summit's coach voice was perhaps the greatest of all time.

Holly and Kelly did not have it. From day one, it was a concern I had about both of them. Nothing they could do about it, by and large, your voice is your voice.

Good news, Coach Caldwell has a top notch head coach voice. There's a certain gravitas, effective delivery, a confidence, really beyond her years. We'll see how it goes but she certainly checks this box.

I'm still not getting how so many people think the extra "bulk" was a result of too much time in the weight room. I strongly disagree with that theory. lol
The last staff actively wanted Tess and Sara to add weight to be bigger factors inside. Obviously, it wasn’t the right move and I don’t think either player was particularly comfortable with it. Tess was back to her spring 2023 size almost immediately after the coaching change.

I wouldn’t put the “shape” of those two players on them last year. Rickea couldn’t do conditioning after her leg injury and it showed. Beyond those three, I think accountability to doing the extra things with conditioning and nutrition fell by the wayside more than a little bit.

The last staff actively wanted Tess and Sara to add weight to be bigger factors inside. Obviously, it wasn’t the right move and I don’t think either player was particularly comfortable with it. Tess was back to her spring 2023 size almost immediately after the coaching change.

I wouldn’t put the “shape” of those two players on them last year. Rickea couldn’t do conditioning after her leg injury and it showed. Beyond those three, I think accountability to doing the extra things with conditioning and nutrition fell by the wayside more than a little bit.
This was obvious and I remarked on it at the time.

I remember seeing the workout videos and the weights they were lifting were so light they could not possibly be gaining any muscle. It looked like a photoshoot more than a serious workout session. Combine that with a mandate to gain weight and there was no way it would end well.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

One can't help but wonder if the lack of accountability in those areas contributed to the phenomenon of Tennessee needing 1-2 quarters to "get it in gear" for games. It was rare to see them compete for a full forty minutes last year, and even the year before. A whole of stop and go. Not always the most consistent energy.

On a related note, keen to see if and how both Darby and Puckett will respond to the changes. Puckett feels like someone who's always been close to breaking through. Too many flashes from her to think we've already seen her at her best. Would be nice to see her go out this year playing to the level she's capable of.

This was obvious and I remarked on it at the time.

I remember seeing the workout videos and the weights they were lifting were so light they could not possibly be gaining any muscle. It looked like a photoshoot more than a serious workout session. Combine that with a mandate to gain weight and there was no way it would end well.
I wouldn’t agree with the second part at all. Most players made significant strength gains last offseason. In-season they were lifts designed to maintain, not build, as is common for most teams. I’d put the strength part up against anyone.

But I don’t believe the last S&C coach was allowed to do as much conditioning work as he would have liked.

One can't help but wonder if the lack of accountability in those areas contributed to the phenomenon of Tennessee needing 1-2 quarters to "get it in gear" for games. It was rare to see them compete for a full forty minutes last year, and even the year before. A whole of stop and go. Not always the most consistent energy.

On a related note, keen to see if and how both Darby and Puckett will respond to the changes. Puckett feels like someone who's always been close to breaking through. Too many flashes from her to think we've already seen her at her best. Would be nice to see her go out this year playing to the level she's capable of.
Puckett showed up in later rounds in at least one mock WNBA draft for next year, so you arent alone in thinking theres a lot of promise there.

I wouldn’t agree with the second part at all. Most players made significant strength gains last offseason. In-season they were lifts designed to maintain, not build, as is common for most teams. I’d put the strength part up against anyone.

But I don’t believe the last S&C coach was allowed to do as much conditioning work as he would have liked.
Sounds like strength without conditioning was a halfa*s idea. Sara is a puzzle though, she must have put work in on her own bc she came in last year the most toned and in shape she's ever been. Coaches cited her over and over as the most in shape player.

Puckett showed up in later rounds in at least one mock WNBA draft for next year, so you arent alone in thinking theres a lot of promise there.
Have never thought about that and I know many will scream that she's not near W material. But having watched the league more closely this year, if she can shoot a consistent high 30s% even 40% three ball there could be a place for her. Kayla McBride, Mabry, Steph Talbot type. That would be so awesome.

Jewel got discussed a time or two as a possible late rounder last year. She also will need to be very consistent w the three ball and they mentioned she needs to be a bit quicker, esp on D. I'm really interested to see how Jewel's D picks up under the new coach.

Is Samara Spencer eligible for WNBA draft next yr?

Puckett has the offensive game to translate to the W. Her defense definitely needs to go up a level though. W defense needs to be exceptional; last year her defense was about SEC average. Hope we see her coached up on that this season.
If the coaches give her the right matchup she can defend quite well. She is not a terrific perimeter defender, but she can guard the four position against most opponents quite well. This team has added player that can defend perimeter player very well so unlike last years team we should see a lot fewer mis - matches on defense. I haven't paid much attention as to what defense Coach Caldwell prefers man to man or matchup zone. I think we finally have the talent that can play either very well. The speed and quickness factor went way up with the additions and the two players finally eligible to play next season.

VN Store

Back