Tennessee Softball 2023

Ashley had her best season as a freshman because of the cast around her, not in spite of it.

Gabby Sprang had one of the most talented teams in recent history behind her, she just couldn't throw strikes. Her lack of success had nothing to do with anyone but her. She led the SEC in wild pitches despite limited innings. Transferred to Oklahoma State and led the Big 12 in wild pitches despite limited innings. Transferred to Purdue and barely pitched. Super kid, looked great from all reports in practice and in the bullpen, but couldn't put it over the plate in games.

Believe you missed the mark. Ashley didn’t benefit from having an Ashley and Payton around her to help carry the burden. She tossed over 170 innings her freshman year. Was that part of her injuries early, 2020 she missed (Covid but was out the first 25 games). She had Moss and Arnold - both serviceable pitchers in their own right but not at the level of the two I mentioned. The expectations part is fans putting them higher before they’ve had a chance to get acclimated to the game/speed. I don’t disagree on Sprang it was a point of reference to how highly regarded players react once they get on campus. Pickens benefitting of the two experienced players ahead of her as opposed to getting tossed daily into the fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
Believe you missed the mark. Ashley didn’t benefit from having an Ashley and Payton around her to help carry the burden. She tossed over 170 innings her freshman year. Was that part of her injuries early, 2020 she missed (Covid but was out the first 25 games). She had Moss and Arnold - both serviceable pitchers in their own right but not at the level of the two I mentioned. The expectations part is fans putting them higher before they’ve had a chance to get acclimated to the game/speed. I don’t disagree on Sprang it was a point of reference to how highly regarded players react once they get on campus. Pickens benefitting of the two experienced players ahead of her as opposed to getting tossed daily into the fire.
Pickens though nowhere fully developed is different. She seems very mature for her age and you could tell she was disappointed losing the shutout yesterday she did not show up her infielders who put her in that position. She just kept pitching and smiling. Throwing as hard as she does (she will give up some homers because all you have to do is get the bat on the ball right, good luck). Her stuff is electric and easy. She could probably throw a ton of innings like the old school pitchers but she does not have to with our staff. To be honest I think she was a little bored yesterday. She obviously has another gear she can kick in. Clemson game showed that. Pitching could take us a long way this year. Can we get healthy enough batting wise will tell the tale.

Side note a Tennessee native has left her current SEC team (although still on roster). But heard she stepped away last week. I don’t think this move will happen for TN but with time comes mended bridges. Other schools were Auburn and Texas AM.

Reactions: anecwnrjcns12
Pickens though nowhere fully developed is different. She seems very mature for her age and you could tell she was disappointed losing the shutout yesterday she did not show up her infielders who put her in that position. She just kept pitching and smiling. Throwing as hard as she does (she will give up some homers because all you have to do is get the bat on the ball right, good luck). Her stuff is electric and easy. She could probably throw a ton of innings like the old school pitchers but she does not have to with our staff. To be honest I think she was a little bored yesterday. She obviously has another gear she can kick in. Clemson game showed that. Pitching could take us a long way this year. Can we get healthy enough batting wise will tell the tale.
Don’t disagree with that. Picking and choosing her innings is key…back to back Florida type games isn’t needed like it was with Ashley early on.

Reactions: kregman
What makes Pickens so good isn’t the raw velocity. The top teams aren’t scared of that like they would’ve been 10+ years ago. It’s the movement and changing of speeds.

Those 72 mph fastballs usually have arm side run on them which makes it almost impossible for righties to handle. Most pitchers who throw that hard are usually just throwing straight darts.

And I can’t remember the last time I saw a pitcher who could throw a rise ball both at full speed and off speed. That’s just insane.

Rumor around the ballpark Sunday was if they weren’t hurt they played. A lot of keys players didn’t play so curious how healthy we will be to start SEC play this weekend.

After being able to watch a few games has to be a little concern with shortstop play. A lot of close plays and couple beat out throws over the weekend. You get some of these SEC teams with a lot of speed might turn into a problem. Need Puni back at third as soon as possible other girl let one roll right through her legs last night although that was the only incident I saw with her.

Side note a Tennessee native has left her current SEC team (although still on roster). But heard she stepped away last week. I don’t think this move will happen for TN but with time comes mended bridges. Other schools were Auburn and Texas AM.

There are a couple of schools in the league that are having some serious behind the scenes issues, though they are keeping things buttoned up at the moment. No idea if Tennessee will benefit directly from the issues, but it's out there.

Can you tell us more? 👀
The further into recruiting, the more inside access to information. I doubt DeerPark would want to cause harm to long-standing relationships by loosing controversial issues on a message board.

Hoping Zaida is back in lineup by Friday. We need her for SEC play. I am surprised to see Dez not hitting. If she doesn’t pick it up they may look at Amanda there when Zaida gets back. I’ve heard conflicting reports on Lair: out for season and back at some point. Would love to know what to expect if someone is closer to the situation.

Hoping Zaida is back in lineup by Friday. We need her for SEC play. I am surprised to see Dez not hitting. If she doesn’t pick it up they may look at Amanda there when Zaida gets back. I’ve heard conflicting reports on Lair: out for season and back at some point. Would love to know what to expect if someone is closer to the situation.
Amanda would be my first choice and i suspect her at third was a sign. She did make an error when the hard hit ball did not come up and went through the wickett! As we all have said cant hit got to sit!! I have played short all my long live and i really believe she is about a step or two too far back. Makes no real difference if you cant throw someone out when you get the ball. Ivy made everyone else look slow!

Last edited:
Amanda would be my first choice and i suspect her at third was a sigh. She did make an error when the hard hit ball did not come up and went through the wickett! As we all have said cant hit got to sit!! I have played short all my long live and i really believe she is about a step or two too far back. Makes no real difference if you cant throw someone out when you get the ball. Ivy made everyone else look slow!
I agree she is too deep especially on the slappers.

did not know that
Played out of a Chattanooga (travel ball) in middle school-high school. Moved to Baylor for HS, did not play her SR year. Family is from NY and from what I understand had no interest in TN and it came down to LSU and Florida. Same pitching coach as Ashley Rogers as well a Shelby Walters (Duke/UGA) and Pickens started working with him last year.

Played out of a Chattanooga (travel ball) in middle school-high school. Moved to Baylor for HS, did not play her SR year. Family is from NY and from what I understand had no interest in TN and it came down to LSU and Florida. Same pitching coach as Ashley Rogers as well a Shelby Walters (Duke/UGA) and Pickens started working with him last year.
Thanks for the back story!

Well i am glad its not florida i despise them nearly as much as shooters university!

Well i am glad its not florida i despise them nearly as much as shooters university!
They got their Pickens/Berzon coming in next year. More decorated than Jordy Bahl…Keagan Rothrock

Kids legit, will probably capture her 2nd Gatorade and USA TODAY national player of the year

VN Store

Back