Tennessee Softball 2023

Glad to see Charli get some innings and a win. Great to see Lair back and contributing already. As someone mentioned, if Zaida a pr tonight then she should be good to go. I’ve noticed in a couple of games, Jenna gets burned early as a pr for McKenna then can’t bat when Karen starts subbing. Perfect timing to have Lair and Zaida for Friday. With our pitching depth I’m excited to see SEC play begin!

Glad to see Charli get some innings and a win. Great to see Lair back and contributing already. As someone mentioned, if Zaida a pr tonight then she should be good to go. I’ve noticed in a couple of games, Jenna gets burned early as a pr for McKenna then can’t bat when Karen starts subbing. Perfect timing to have Lair and Zaida for Friday. With our pitching depth I’m excited to see SEC play begin!
Good work for CO and RW. Not sure they’ll be SEC unless it’s situational. The top 3 are ahead of the bottom 3 in regards to being SEC ready.

Wish the Lady Vols would stop playing Tennessee Tech every season. It does their RPI no favors.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
It was a baby seal clubbing. Our pitching sometimes in the past would make it interesting. Megan was emphasizing spin and location in the bullpen. Their pitchers seem to be afraid to throw it over the plate. Nice to have Lair back.

Which is interesting, is Megan taking on the role of Marty. Work with pitchers in the bullpen while the game is going on.
I am not sure but i saw MR sitting behind karen in a large hooded coat writting down something each pitch. May have been sick or something. Hope karen keeps nose out of it or she will run MR off like she finally did Marty.

I am not sure but i saw MR sitting behind karen in a large hooded coat writting down something each pitch. May have been sick or something. Hope karen keeps nose out of it or she will run MR off like she finally did Marty.
I was sitting behind the dugout so I could not see in. Karen had nothing to do with warm ups other than walking by. White her last inning was struggling throwing strikes til whoever called a couple of change ups. Then she dialed in and blew them away. It was cold I don't blame Megan for the warm wear plus I don't think she has five pounds of fat to keep her warm.

Wish the Lady Vols would stop playing Tennessee Tech every season. It does their RPI no favors.

Who else would you suggest? Mid week games in softball have to be teams that can drive here and back without a hotel stay. So it’s Tennessee Tech, Austin Peay, Belmont, East Tennessee State. Chattanooga won’t play. So your options are limited. You can throw in a western Carolina or UNC Asheville, but in a given year, all of those teams have basically the same RPI impact as Tennessee Tech. Last year, their coach got fired, this is their first year for a new coach. They’ve also been an NCAA regional team at various times. I think you schedule the teams that will come and play, and schedule tough enough in your tournaments that it doesn’t really matter.

Per a broadcast earlier this season, Karen has taken back over pitch calling duties. Based on some of the curious pitch calls over the last couple of years, that’s probably a smart decision.

Overall, coaches are split on that, the same way many are about having the hitting coach out at first base. I think a good pitching coach makes a bigger impact on the game by being in the bullpen warming up a reliever or actively charting the pitches thrown and the result as opposed to calling them. If you look at other programs, many head coaches call pitches, the same way they are the ones that make most visits to the circle.

Who else would you suggest? Mid week games in softball have to be teams that can drive here and back without a hotel stay. So it’s Tennessee Tech, Austin Peay, Belmont, East Tennessee State. Chattanooga won’t play. So your options are limited. You can throw in a western Carolina or UNC Asheville, but in a given year, all of those teams have basically the same RPI impact as Tennessee Tech. Last year, their coach got fired, this is their first year for a new coach. They’ve also been an NCAA regional team at various times. I think you schedule the teams that will come and play, and schedule tough enough in your tournaments that it doesn’t really matter.
Outside of losing their head coach, they lost their top 3 pitchers from last years team for different reasons. Very young/inexperienced in the circle. For a mid-week team close and getting reps for CO, RW and the younger players is the benefit.

I was sitting behind the dugout so I could not see in. Karen had nothing to do with warm ups other than walking by. White her last inning was struggling throwing strikes til whoever called a couple of change ups. Then she dialed in and blew them away. It was cold I don't blame Megan for the warm wear plus I don't think she has five pounds of fat to keep her warm.
Yep! Well karen called them because she called them all last night. I have watched every game for this year and years past. I have not noticed her calling them until last night. I am sure DP is right but sure seemed that karen wen and got the best pitching coach who she wanted but did not want her to call pitches at some point. Maybe MG was the reason we have looked so bad the last year or two on the mound.???

Yep! Well karen called them because she called them all last night. I have watched every game for this year and years past. I have not noticed her calling them until last night. I am sure DP is right but sure seemed that karen wen and got the best pitching coach who she wanted but did not want her to call pitches at some point. Maybe MG was the reason we have looked so bad the last year or two on the mound.???

Megan coached the pitchers when she was at Lipscomb, but the head coach always called pitches. So doing it was something she had only done the year she was the head coach at Belmont. I don’t want to say that she is bad at it, because I don’t think she is. But I think Someone like Karen who has done it for a couple of decades is perhaps better suited to do it.

On the football side, the quarterbacks coach works with the position every week, and last year the OC was the tight ends coach. But Josh Heupel is the one that called the majority of the plays. It’s kind of like that. When a head coach has a certain system, It’s usually a better fit for them to be the one that calls it in real time, rather than going over general concepts with someone else and letting them make the actual calls.

VN Store

Back