Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

You know that is being done at many, many places. I said when Duren committed that I had heard that Memphis was stepping up its NIL game.
It’s not a surprise at all, but I don’t know that I agree it’s being done “many, many” places to the extent Memphis is…or you’d have seen some other off the wall string of commitments.

It’s not a surprise at all, but I don’t know that I agree it’s being done “many, many” places to the extent Memphis is…or you’d have seen some other off the wall string of commitments.

I would say give it some time. It passed on July 1, which is very late for the current year in basketball. These two players were talking about reclassifying before July 1.

These things are happening in other places.

Damn, bTo, I have never seen you hate so much on a team, even throwing out allegations. Don't worry, UT will kick their a$$ and/or do better in the NCAA's, anyway

I would say give it some time. It passed on July 1, which is very late for the current year in basketball. These two players were talking about reclassifying before July 1.

These things are happening in other places.

I don’t think it’s non-existent, but I also would say there’s a good chance Memphis might be leading the way…a lot of people well connected thought UK/Miami for Duren and pro’s for Bates…then Memphis lands both. Not as if these other schools didn’t have an opportunity to “do the same thing”, so there’s a reason both chose to go there when they weren’t thought as likely landing spots initially.

Also, as for how it’s proved or could blow up…these deals aren’t supposed to be related to schools at all. Meaning if Bates had gone to Michigan State he would still be entitled to whatever deal Fed Ex was offering him, and if they didn’t pay up and follow through I’m guessing he and his family might be a little vocal about that.
I think it's naive to believe the deals aren't tied to the schools, even if they aren't "supposed to be". Intrinsically, they have to be. FedEx couldn't give two craps about Emoni Bates if he had chosen Michigan State, and just simply wouldn't have honored any agreed upon (but not signed) deal. What leg does Bates have to stand on? FedEx just publicly states that no deal was ever in place. He said/she said.

I think it's naive to believe the deals aren't tied to the schools, even if they aren't "supposed to be". Intrinsically, they have to be. FedEx couldn't give two craps about Emoni Bates if he had chosen Michigan State, and just simply wouldn't have honored any agreed upon (but not signed) deal. What leg does Bates have to stand on? FedEx just publicly states that no deal was ever in place. He said/she said.
Until there’s a wire tap or recorded convos 😳

But yes, this has widely been discussed…if Fulkerson was to up and transfer to UCLA then Pal’s is required to uphold their agreement, assuming Fulkerson upholds his end.

Until there’s a wire tap or recorded convos 😳

But yes, this has widely been discussed…if Fulkerson was to up and transfer to UCLA then Pal’s is required to uphold their agreement, assuming Fulkerson upholds his end.
I'd imagine smart business owners with savvy contract lawyers are offering one-year, renewable contracts with some sort of clever out-clause that isn't legally bound to the player's relation to the the school of their preference, but will automagically be triggered on, or around the date the player cut ties with the school.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
I'd imagine smart business owners with savvy contract lawyers are offering one-year, renewable contracts with some sort of clever out-clause that isn't legally bound to the player's relation to the the school of their preference, but will automagically be triggered on, or around the date the player cut ties with the school.
Quite possible, im sure we will find out at some point.

I don’t think it’s non-existent, but I also would say there’s a good chance Memphis might be leading the way…a lot of people well connected thought UK/Miami for Duren and pro’s for Bates…then Memphis lands both. Not as if these other schools didn’t have an opportunity to “do the same thing”, so there’s a reason both chose to go there when they weren’t thought as likely landing spots initially.

My understanding is that Florida state law has some limitations and Memphis benefitted from it. Maybe I shouldn’t saw many places are doing it-those that have the ability are doing it.

Bates can’t go to the NBA for 2 years because of his age. The thought is he is going to college this year with NIL and then reassess.

My understanding is that Florida state law has some limitations and Memphis benefitted from it. Maybe I shouldn’t saw many places are doing it-those that have the ability are doing it.

Bates can’t go to the NBA for 2 years because of his age. The thought is he is going to college this year with NIL and then reassess.
How many college basketball players have you seen get $500k+ NIL deals?

I don’t know how much his deal is. Chandler has gotten two 5 figure deals, I believe. Guys will take discounts playing in college because they enjoy the experience and still get paid.
If it’s true that Fed Ex matched the OTE offer that means it’s $500k+…Chandler is getting like $20k iirc, I’ve not heard of any getting close to $500k, except 2 guys that happen to be going to Memphis.

Last edited:
Geez, the world of college athletics has changed and it’s up to Tennessee boosters to keep up or not. The last 15 years suggest they won’t, but one can hope they will. I see nothing wrong with what Memphis has done and it’s more than likely within the rules, and hopefully we have an administration that is forward thinking enough to do the same.

If it’s true that Fed Ex matched the OTE offer that means it’s $500k+…Chandler is getting like $20k iirc, I’ve not heard of any getting close to $500k, except 2 guys that happen to be going to Memphis.

In NIL deals, you're correct. However, the going rate for the top recruit has been around $500k for a few years now. Its what Zion got at Duke. So that number isn't surprising at all. Now only the elite are getting that, but your 5 stars are all typically getting 6 figures for their college choice.

I said this previously, but how do you think the G League came up with their offers for these kids that want to skip college? They were matching the offers they already had.

Nothing has really changed about the cost of these players. The difference is how its structured and now announced in some cases.

In NIL deals, you're correct. However, the going rate for the top recruit has been around $500k for a few years now. Its what Zion got at Duke. So that number isn't surprising at all. Now only the elite are getting that, but your 5 stars are all typically getting 6 figures for their college choice.

I said this previously, but how do you think the G League came up with their offers for these kids that want to skip college? They were matching the offers they already had.

Nothing has really changed about the cost of these players. The difference is how its structured and now announced in some cases.
So Tennessee is funneling Chandler $500k? And did so for both Springer & Johnson as well?

So Tennessee is funneling Chandler $500k? And did so for both Springer & Johnson as well?

Chandler isn't the top recruit in the country. Nor were Springer and Johnson. So no, they didn't get 500k. But nice try.

I said your typical 5 star gets 6 figures. Those 3 you mentioned fall into that category.

Chandler isn't the top recruit in the country. Nor were Springer and Johnson. So no, they didn't get 500k. But nice try.

I said your typical 5 star gets 6 figures. Those 3 you mentioned fall into that category.
So those 3 got 6 figures from Tennessee you’re saying?

Also, Zion wasn’t the top recruit either, but nice try.

So those 3 got 6 figures from Tennessee you’re saying?

Also, Zion wasn’t the top recruit either, but nice try.

My bad, Zion ended at 2 right? I think one service had him at 5, but either way he was seen in that elite tier and was compensated as such. Chandler, Johnson, and Springer have never been considered a Zion level prospect. You know this, but I applaud you for staying on brand.

And I don't know about all 3 individually, but I know one of those 3 got north of $200k.

My bad, Zion ended at 2 right? I think one service had him at 5, but either way he was seen in that elite tier and was compensated as such. Chandler, Johnson, and Springer have never been considered a Zion level prospect. You know this, but I applaud you for staying on brand.

And I don't know about all 3 individually, but I know one of those 3 got north of $200k.
Really, who?

Memphis will be a much bigger player this season.

Diff in their recruiting 2 years ago and this year is that they have experienced players to go along with Bates and Duren.

Despite the animosity to Penny, they have the players and the staff to go deep. I would expect E8 minimum.

Memphis will be a much bigger player this season.

Diff in their recruiting 2 years ago and this year is that they have experienced players to go along with Bates and Duren.

Despite the animosity to Penny, they have the players and the staff to go deep. I would expect E8 minimum.

Lol, good joke

VN Store

Back