Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Grant Williams was not a 3 year development guy. He was fantastic as a freshman, he was a 5-star talent that Barnes did a great job of finding when others didn't see it. He got better and better but him and Tamba are worlds apart from the start. Alexander was from a class of Barnes basically having to establish himself here. So was Fulkerson. We should be beyond recruiting projects in the post and I think Aidoo and BHH are the first step in that. If either of them are here in year 4, I expect they are producing way more than the 7/7 Kyle produced as a senior.

Grant Williams was a 3 star undersized "big" that had a total of 15 games in his career with double digit rebounds. I'm not saying Grant wasn't a good player to begin with, but to discredit Barnes helping him develop into what he became is just erroneous.

Regardless of why he recruited the bigs he did the ones that have stayed and worked hard (the three I mentioned) all did develop into good players. Kyle & Grant both made it to the NBA even. Kyle also only played 24 mpg and shot just 5 attempts a game. His per 40 showed him to be a double double guy with 3 blocks a game. He was highly productive and if we're lucky Aidoo and BHH both will shoot for over 62% from the 2PT range like Kyle did.

If all you look at is just PPG you're missing the bigger picture.

How did I know you’d be the one to flock to this post like a dog in heat. And you’d have a really super awesome point if I were banging the table for us to take Allen, but since that isn’t remotely the case, any argument you’ll try to make parading my post as a campaign poster for us to take him is ridiculous.

Cool, then what was the point in mentioning him in a UT recruiting thread? lol. He's a spot up shooter that only shot .04% better than Cam Hayes with similar volume in 20-21.

If Allen gets a pass for poor coaching and deceptive stats, then Hayes should too, who looks like the better player based off film.

Cool, then what was the point in mentioning him in a UT recruiting thread? lol. He's a spot up shooter that only shot .04% better than Cam Hayes with similar volume in 20-21.
Because he’s an SEC kid that entered the transfer portal. I honestly meant to post it in the College Hoops Around The Country thread, but the point remains.

You’re simply projecting if you took anything that I actually said to implicitly suggest that I thought we should take him. I even opened the post by saying something to the effect of, “I doubt we get involved here…”.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Because he’s an SEC kid that entered the transfer portal. I honestly meant to post it in the College Hoops Around The Country thread, but the point remains.

You’re simply projecting if you took anything that I actually said to implicitly suggest that I thought we should take him. I even opened the post by saying something to the effect of, “I doubt we get involved here…”.

The point remains that his stats suck, his film is mediocre, and he seemingly offers nothing outside of spot up shooting, which he doesn't do very well either. But he gets a pass for being underutilized, by a HOF level coach, when Hayes doesn't, even though his coach hasn't made the dance in 5 seasons and will likely be fired after next season (should have been let go this season).

Just an observation.

I would love to land Murray. Dynamic athlete that can score inside and is a solid ball handler. This would be a major get, although I’m not sure we’d pursue.

Yeah got 3 years left and great size. To me that's a "missing piece" type player. Adds something the guard group is missing in a guy with good size and ability to finish at the rim.

The point remains that his stats suck, his film is mediocre, and he seemingly offers nothing outside of spot up shooting, which he doesn't do very well either. But he gets a pass for being underutilized, by a HOF level coach, when Hayes doesn't, even though his coach hasn't made the dance in 5 seasons and will likely be fired after next season (should have been let go this season).

Just an observation.
More projecting.

I’m not saying he gets a pass for anything. I just happen to be more intimately knowledgeable about Allen’s situation and ability than I am Hayes’s because I live in Kentucky. I’m not making a case that we should take either guy, but if forced to choose one based solely on their skill-set, like @golfballs, I’d prefer Allen if I had to choose. But again, I’m not banging the table to take him.

A.) We don’t currently have room.
B.) Justin Powell seems like a similar version of him.
C.) If we create room, I want an impact player, not a role player with limited eligibility.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
So for me it's more about fit.

ZZ = 5'9"
BJE = 6'3"
Santi = 6'3"
Bailey = 6'4"
Mashack = 6'4"
Diboundje = 6'5"
Powell = 6'6"
JJJ = 6'6"

That's the guard group at the moment...and really only JJJ has shown an ability to get to the rim and even he's not a great finisher. So If we're losing Bailey and Powell (rumor) then I'd rather a guy like Murray that's 6'5" and athletic enough to finish at the rim while also having good enough handles to get there.

Maybe Diboundje can be that guy, Mashack doesn't appear to have the comfort with his dribbling to do it at this point.

Grant Williams was a 3 star undersized "big" that had a total of 15 games in his career with double digit rebounds. I'm not saying Grant wasn't a good player to begin with, but to discredit Barnes helping him develop into what he became is just erroneous.

Regardless of why he recruited the bigs he did the ones that have stayed and worked hard (the three I mentioned) all did develop into good players. Kyle & Grant both made it to the NBA even. Kyle also only played 24 mpg and shot just 5 attempts a game. His per 40 showed him to be a double double guy with 3 blocks a game. He was highly productive and if we're lucky Aidoo and BHH both will shoot for over 62% from the 2PT range like Kyle did.

If all you look at is just PPG you're missing the bigger picture.

Grant had 4 double doubles and multiple 30 point games as a freshman, and averaged 2 blocks per game on top of it. He was an elite talent and doesn't exist in the same basketball universe as Tamba or even the other two, he wasn't a 3 year project, which was what your initial post said about him. Grant's 40 minute number was a freshman was 19.8/9.3/3blks. I'm not discrediting Barnes, I am simply saying Grant was an extremely talented player from day one.

Kyle was a good defensive big man and Fulkerson was a streaky player with a spurts of good play and spurts of being a ghost, even through his 6th season. Uros is the same way but with worse hands and a lower ceiling than either of those two and he's also less athletic.

This year our post play propelled us to being one of the worst 2pt percentage teams in the country. It was a glaring weak spot on the team, and that was with elite recruits in BHH and Aidoo being brought along. If we are looking a few years down the road and having to ride with Tamba, we are probably in trouble or the staff worked a miracle with him, as we all know being 6'11 and playing in the Knoxville area should mean more than 7/5 on the stat sheet. It will be an exceptional development of him if he becomes a productive SEC big man.

Michigan's big man nearly single handedly beat us last week. We need to keep recruiting there at a very high level at the position. I think Aidoo is especially likely to develop into that kind of player.

According to VQ War Room they expect Santi & JJJ back although they’ll likely go through NBA process since they are juniors, they also expect Powell & BHH back but said it may not be totally closed case on BHH so worth watching. Made it sound like he wants to be back but someone in his family/camp may be interested in looking around. No mention about what Bailey plans to do.

VN Store

Back