Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Curious if Tennessee pursues, was only a freshman so would have 3 years remaining…good size and is listed as a CG, rebounds well for his position, really excels in 2pt% which was a weakness of ours. From some Twitter searching he’s a guy who some folks have their eye on as a potential NBA guy down the road.

Would love to get this guy a lot

I see the argument for him, and those numbers are nice. But I'd rather take a 1 or 2 if this guy is more of a 3. I'm thinking in the long run he just doesn't fit the roster.
I honestly haven’t watched Belmont much so idk what he is, his recruiting profile said CG, but would appear he was more 3 at Belmont from the stats, but again idk. But yea if he isn’t a CG then I agree with you, with have a lot of guys who are just 3’s and can’t really handle the ball.

Is Tamba transferring down possible? Just don’t see the road to PT for him.

Well next year he'll be a RS-Fr

Uros, Olivier will both be seniors and likely gone after next season.

BHH could leave early for the draft at any time, especially if he has a good season. So Tamba could go from having 4 other guys in front of him to just 1 in Aidoo. If he came here to be developed then why would he leave after just a season of doing it?

Yeah, Tamba actively took a non-medical redshirt by choice. He came here for the long haul, if he's leaving it's because Barnes & staff asked him to. He was also HS teammates with BJ Edwards, so they both basically start their 4 year clock this season together. If we're lucky those two will have a few years playing together in the O & W.

In 2 years you very well won’t have Plav/ON/Aidoo/BHH, that’s the road.
So you’re saying they won’t be actively recruiting over him in your opinion? I like Tamba, seems to be a good kid and I don’t want us to send him packing (Rick wouldn’t do that I don’t think) but I have a hard time seeing us putting all our eggs in his basket. JMO.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I haven't seen him play in over a year and I admit that I never watched a ton of his film. I'm just hoping there's more to Tamba than I ever saw because it didn't make sense to me.

As usual, I trust Barnes and his staff to know what they're doing. They don't strike me as a program who would use a scholarship simply to keep a door open with with a high school/AAU program.

All that to say, I've been wrong before and will HAPPILY be wrong if he exceeds my expectations.

So you’re saying they won’t be actively recruiting over him in your opinion? I like Tamba, seems to be a good kid and I don’t want us to send him packing (Rick wouldn’t do that I don’t think) but I have a hard time seeing us putting all our eggs in his basket. JMO.
They might recruit over him but I’m not sure that’s happening in this offseason

You said you didn’t see a road to PT, that’s not the same thing as “putting all our eggs in his basket”…you don’t roll with 1 post player, of course we will continue to recruit posts, that doesn’t mean you’re recruiting over him though?

I haven't seen him play in over a year and I admit that I never watched a ton of his film. I'm just hoping there's more to Tamba than I ever saw because it didn't make sense to me.

As usual, I trust Barnes and his staff to know what they're doing. They don't strike me as a program who would use a scholarship simply to keep a door open with with a high school/AAU program.

All that to say, I've been wrong before and will HAPPILY be wrong if he exceeds my expectations.
Will hope he turns out to be another Zeigler :)

And then there was Pember & Gaines (the BigTicket) still shaking my head over why they were recruited at this level. Perhaps Barnes thought they would pan out. I never saw it ever happening. Not at the SEC level.

Another potential portal guard, Jaelin Llewellyn would have it looks like 2 years of eligibility left. Been a 3 year starter at Princeton and a career 14.0 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 2.5 apg guy with low turnovers. We offered him out of HS as well, former 4 star top 100 player and a top 20 guard.

He is the ideal transfer candidate. An elite player.

Spots will be at a premium for us. Right now, we’re full. I suspect Barnes and staff are going to be (and should be) highly selective with who we bring in. I don’t want to take a flier on anyone that is another developmental type considering we’re 1-2 correct pieces away from a Final Four caliber squad.

He is the ideal transfer candidate. An elite player.

Spots will be at a premium for us. Right now, we’re full. I suspect Barnes and staff are going to be (and should be) highly selective with who we bring in. I don’t want to take a flier on anyone that is another developmental type considering we’re 1-2 correct pieces away from a Final Four caliber squad.
I mean, maybe if Chandler somehow came back. If we are without him as seems likely to be the case, I think a Final Four is a dream for next year

I mean, maybe if Chandler somehow came back. If we are without him as seems likely to be the case, I think a Final Four is a dream for next year

I said 1-2 of the right pieces. I’m not saying as it stands now. If you add Julian Phillips and either an elite big or an elite PG transfer, I think a case can easily be made that next year’s team will be better than this year’s team IF Chandler is the only departure.

I would say right now, following KC’s departure, this squad with no additional transfers or HS pickups is a Sweet 16 caliber squad. Add the two right pieces, and you can make it a Final Four.

I think we should be recruiting up north a little more and perhaps find another gem like Schofield.

Mears used to recruit in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Another potential portal guard, Jaelin Llewellyn would have it looks like 2 years of eligibility left. Been a 3 year starter at Princeton and a career 14.0 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 2.5 apg guy with low turnovers. We offered him out of HS as well, former 4 star top 100 player and a top 20 guard.
did he not play as a junior?

You said you didn’t see a road to PT, that’s not the same thing as “putting all our eggs in his basket”…you don’t roll with 1 post player, of course we will continue to recruit posts, that doesn’t mean you’re recruiting over him though?
I mean, it kinda is. Let’s say we land two posts guys a year. One is a one and done guarantee, the other is a 2-3 year guy. Does that not take a spot potentially for Tamba?

I said 1-2 of the right pieces. I’m not saying as it stands now. If you add Julian Phillips and either an elite big or an elite PG transfer, I think a case can easily be made that next year’s team will be better than this year’s team IF Chandler is the only departure.

I would say right now, following KC’s departure, this squad with no additional transfers or HS pickups is a Sweet 16 caliber squad. Add the two right pieces, and you can make it a Final Four.
I think you’d have to add an elite PG, regardless of the rest of the roster, and I don’t think there will be one we can grab on the transfer market. Hopefully that’s not the case

VN Store

Back