Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Also I'll just say this...

With BHH, Aidoo, Tamba all just now entering year 2 (and 2 of them reclassified to be here early) I don't want a big transfer...not unless it's a sure fire beast of a guy. Why? Well it's simple really, you got 2 top 100 bigs already with limited experience I'd much rather see them getting more minutes to improve them developing than bring in a big that's just going to soak up minutes away from them.

Uros & ON are also already here...so going into next season I feel like a true big isn't a portal guy we need to look at, year after when Uros, ON and potentially BHH are gone...sure then find some more size. But with 5 on roster that can play the 4/5 spot and a Guard in JJJ who can also play that 4 spot just seems like we don't need that for this squad. We need another guard who can come off the bench like ZZ did this year and give us 18-22 good minutes a game. (especially if we lose KC, Bailey and Powell)

Last edited:
Javon Pickett and Travis Braile are leaving Missouri and entering the transfer portal.

Does UT have interest in either one of those players?

I mean, it kinda is. Let’s say we land two posts guys a year. One is a one and done guarantee, the other is a 2-3 year guy. Does that not take a spot potentially for Tamba?
Again considering we theoretically lose every post after next year there’s a clear path to PT for Tamba, which is what you said you didn’t see…if we start landing a bunch of posts then maybe that changes, but right now it sure looks like he will have a role in 2 years.

Again considering we theoretically lose every post after next year there’s a clear path to PT for Tamba, which is what you said you didn’t see…if we start landing a bunch of posts then maybe that changes, but right now it sure looks like he will have a role in 2 years.
Thats a thought I dont want to have. A complete turnover of post players. Gross.

Can’t imagine why Tamba would choose to leave. He probably still needs development and he would have at least 3 years left of potentially significant playing time. If he leaves this offseason I think it wouldn’t be all by his choosing

It Tamba doesn't get recruited over, something will be wrong with our recruiting. Granted, we had struggled with post recruiting before the last cycle.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Thats a thought I dont want to have. A complete turnover of post players. Gross.

Well, look at it this way, in order to lose "all" of our post players after next year, that would mean BHH and Aidoo had major breakout seasons to the point that the NBA wants to draft them. Right now, neither of those guys are in any type of NBA conversation. If they were to make that big of a leap this off-season, and have THAT type of season, chances are we had a pretty damn good year, maybe an E8 or F4.

So, you might lose them, but the reward is we did something pretty cool. Whatever that might be.

Well, look at it this way, in order to lose "all" of our post players after next year, that would mean BHH and Aidoo had major breakout seasons to the point that the NBA wants to draft them. Right now, neither of those guys are in any type of NBA conversation. If they were to make that big of a leap this off-season, and have THAT type of season, chances are we had a pretty damn good year, maybe an E8 or F4.

So, you might lose them, but the reward is we did something pretty cool. Whatever that might be.
Yeah, if we got to a F4 then its fine.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
We can go on and on about how Uros is a serviceable to decent player and it's true but what is the opportunity cost of sticking with guys like him when an upgrade can easily be made at a school and coach that can recruit like we do? That's the question we have to answer. I think in the end we would have been better just going with Aidoo and BHH and letting them take their lumps early on this year.

Not so fast… KC broke out at the end of this season and will be gone with a r32 exit. Never doubt the lengths that God will go to to keep this fan base miserable lol

We can go on and on about how Uros is a serviceable to decent player and it's true but what is the opportunity cost of sticking with guys like him when an upgrade can easily be made at a school and coach that can recruit like we do? That's the question we have to answer. I think in the end we would have been better just going with Aidoo and BHH and letting them take their lumps early on this year.
You may not be remembering the first half of the season clearly. Aidoo wasn’t on the physically able to perform list until mid season and his family was planning on a rs season. BHH was thrown into the mix from the start and was clearly lost. He was still getting minutes he didn’t earn mid season and not producing. Finally he started progressing in the last third of the season and his minutes increased some more.

If you play a team style defense switching on ball screens you can’t effectively throw unprepared guys into the lineup if your trying to win enough games to make the NCAA tourney. Also, this fan base drastically under appreciates Uros as he improved this season and isn’t the stiff folks recall. He plays a valuable role that doesn’t include volume scoring and I think that’s the stat many casual fans think defines a player.

You may not be remembering the first half of the season clearly. Aidoo wasn’t on the physically able to perform list until mid season and his family was planning on a rs season. BHH was thrown into the mix from the start and was clearly lost. He was still getting minutes he didn’t earn mid season and not producing. Finally he started progressing in the last third of the season and his minutes increased some more.

If you play a team style defense switching on ball screens you can’t effectively throw unprepared guys into the lineup if your trying to win enough games to make the NCAA tourney. Also, this fan base drastically under appreciates Uros as he improved this season and isn’t the stiff folks recall. He plays a valuable role that doesn’t include volume scoring and I think that’s the stat many casual fans think defines a player.

Eh, Uros is like the old school 90's NHL enforcer. When he is out there you just hope that he doesn't hurt you and anything else is a bonus. I love his passion, willingness to mix it up, seems like a great teammate, and he has improved way more than I ever thought he would. That being said, he shouldn't be playing big minutes on a good team. He just isn't very good. He is still painfully slow and a black hole offensively. Defensively he will bang, but if the other team has a big with any sort of range, Plav isn't athletic enough to drop/hedge on a ball screen and get back to his man to contest. I would hope that our bigs improve enough to relegate him to the bench.

Reactions: Volfan1000
It Tamba doesn't get recruited over, something will be wrong with our recruiting. Granted, we had struggled with post recruiting before the last cycle.

Arguably our 3 best post players under Barnes (thus far) have all been 3 year or longer development guys.

Grant Williams = 3 years
Kyle Alexander = 4 years
John Fulkerson = 6 years

For that specific position, it seems that Barnes' prototype is someone that spends time developing here. BHH is the first "1 and done" caliber recruit he's landed and even he's returning for a 2nd year to develop more.

I mean Tamba was a top 300 player local kid that's a 7 footer as well. Prior to the recent 5 star recruits this would have been considered by many to be a pretty great get. Now without seeing him on the court at all, people are talking about recruiting over him or snagging a transfer to replace him.

He also reclassified to get here a year early, he could have spent this year in HS and likely improved his stock (especially with the extra eyes on Catholic watching Edwards). BHH slipped from a top 3 prospect to outside the top 20 just by reclassifying. So I personally want to see what the young man can do before giving up on him.

He's the first big we had the depth to actually let RS and spend a full season practicing and conditioning.

I mean Tamba was a top 300 player local kid that's a 7 footer as well. Prior to the recent 5 star recruits this would have been considered by many to be a pretty great get. Now without seeing him on the court at all, people are talking about recruiting over him or snagging a transfer to replace him.

He also reclassified to get here a year early, he could have spent this year in HS and likely improved his stock (especially with the extra eyes on Catholic watching Edwards). BHH slipped from a top 3 prospect to outside the top 20 just by reclassifying. So I personally want to see what the young man can do before giving up on him.

He's the first big we had the depth to actually let RS and spend a full season practicing and conditioning.
For the record I haven’t given up on Tamba, was just asking if it was a possibility.

I doubt we get involved, but Dontaie Allen from UK entered the transfer portal. His numbers probably don't reflect his actual talent as I believe Cal severely underutilized him. I have my own theories about why, but I say that to say don't let his per game numbers fool you. I think he's a talented player in a spot shooter role with plus size.

I doubt we get involved, but Dontaie Allen from UK entered the transfer portal. His numbers probably don't reflect his actual talent as I believe Cal severely underutilized him. I have my own theories about why, but I say that to say don't let his per game numbers fool you. I think he's a talented player in a spot shooter role with plus size.

But you're against Cam Hayes because his numbers aren't good even when he's clearly a talented kid on film? Can't have it both ways. He's a spot up shooter that shot 18% this year. Powell only shot .02 more 3's this year and still finished with 38% from deep and we considered him a bust for this past season.

Pass on Allen.

Arguably our 3 best post players under Barnes (thus far) have all been 3 year or longer development guys.

Grant Williams = 3 years
Kyle Alexander = 4 years
John Fulkerson = 6 years

For that specific position, it seems that Barnes' prototype is someone that spends time developing here. BHH is the first "1 and done" caliber recruit he's landed and even he's returning for a 2nd year to develop more.

Grant Williams was not a 3 year development guy. He was fantastic as a freshman, he was a 5-star talent that Barnes did a great job of finding when others didn't see it. He got better and better but him and Tamba are worlds apart from the start. Alexander was from a class of Barnes basically having to establish himself here. So was Fulkerson. We should be beyond recruiting projects in the post and I think Aidoo and BHH are the first step in that. If either of them are here in year 4, I expect they are producing way more than the 7/7 Kyle produced as a senior.

But you're against Cam Hayes because his numbers aren't good even when he's clearly a talented kid on film? Can't have it both ways. He's a spot up shooter that shot 18% this year. Powell only shot .02 more 3's this year and still finished with 38% from deep and we considered him a bust for this past season.

Pass on Allen.
How did I know you’d be the one to flock to this post like a dog in heat. And you’d have a really super awesome point if I were banging the table for us to take Allen, but since that isn’t remotely the case, any argument you’ll try to make parading my post as a campaign poster for us to take him is ridiculous.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back