Texas A&M

aTm is becoming the "retire from here" school.

Jimbo walked off with around $75M. He's 58.

Stoops has $9M/yr thru 2031 at KY and I think it might be guaranteed. I doubt he'll take a pay cut but let's say he gets $10M thru 2031, that's another $70M aTm is hooking themselves. If he fails in 3 years, he'll walk off with $40M from aTm at about 60.

Momma's don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys, don't let sing rap like that damn Eminem, teach them to coach at Texas A&M.....

Or maybe Stoops and Jimmy Sexton played their hand perfectly and got what they wanted from KY.
I guess that's possible ... but I have doubts that Kentucky is going to pay a football coach anything close to what Texas A&M would. Just considering how fast this whole thing collapsed, it feels like some Aggie donors rejected Stoops. It's a lot like Schiano in how fast this was announced ... but then reversed.

I guess that's possible ... but I have doubts that Kentucky is going to pay a football coach anything close to what Texas A&M would. Just considering how fast this whole thing collapsed, it feels like some Aggie donors rejected Stoops. It's a lot like Schiano in how fast this was announced ... but then reversed.
Stoops already makes close to what Fisher made at A&M. Stoops made $8.6 million last year and Fisher made $9.1 million.

It appears to be only 75% guaranteed on a quick read. He'd be crazy to leave that at KY because they expect about what he's delivered.
That depends on the person, and their degree of ambition. It's not ever going to be crazy for a football coach to leave Kentucky for Texas A&M. A&M is a much better job, with better facilities, a larger recruiting budget and base. Just a much higher ceiling. A coach with confidence in his abilities, who wants to win the SEC and contend for a National Championship, wouldn't think twice about it .... even with the money being equal.

Kentucky football sucks.

That depends on the person, and their degree of ambition. It's not ever going to be crazy for a football coach to leave Kentucky for Texas A&M. A&M is a much better job, with a higher ceiling. A coach with confidence in his abilities, who wants to win the SEC and contend for a National Championship, wouldn't think twice about it .... even with the money being equal.

Kentucky football sucks.
It does suck but they're paying him $9M/yr until he's 60yo HAPPILY for it to suck. If he were younger, maybe chasing the brass ring would make sense but he's not.

Nobody sane wants to be in their mid-50s starting a job with high expectations like aTm when you have never achieved anything like the expectations that school would have for you.

Life's too short. He's hit the lottery at KY. Stick with your $60+M, retire at 60, and still be the best football coach KY has seen in decades.

It does suck but they're paying him $9M/yr until he's 60yo HAPPILY for it to suck. If he were younger, maybe chasing the brass ring would make sense but he's not.

Nobody sane wants to be in their mid-50s starting a job with high expectations like aTm when you have never achieved anything like the expectations that school would have for you.

Life's too short. He's hit the lottery at KY. Stick with your $60+M, retire at 60, and still be the best football coach KY has seen in decades.
Mark Stoops is 56, which is how old Nick Saban was during the end of his 1st season at Alabama.

I'm sorry, but you're not going to convince me that a majority of college football coaches would rather be at Kentucky than Texas A&M, unless perhaps Kentucky was their home, but that's not the case with Stoops. Texas A&M is the better job. Better resources; higher ceiling.

Mark Stoops is 56, which is how old Nick Saban was during the end of his 1st season at Alabama.

I'm sorry, but you're not going to convince me that a majority of college football coaches would rather be at Kentucky than Texas A&M, unless perhaps Kentucky was their home, but that's not the case with Stoops. Texas A&M is the better job. Better resources; higher ceiling.
Saban had a Natty and knew he could coach.

aTm has a higher ceiling than KY, no doubt, but by 56yo Mark Stoops probably knows that KY and $9M/yr is damn close to his ceiling as a coach.

Saban had a Natty and knew he could coach.

aTm has a higher ceiling than KY, no doubt, but by 56yo Mark Stoops probably knows that KY and $9M/yr is damn close to his ceiling as a coach.
Maybe he wants to coach where feels he would be more appreciated? Fine ... but to say that nobody sane wants to be in a new job with high expectations in their mid-50's is ridiculous.

VN Store

Back