Texas A&M

Absolutely he did. A&M rescinded the offer amid all the backlash. Stoops had started telling people he was leaving before the board had formally approved the hiring. I don’t know which side looks like the bigger idiot.
Thankfully, it’s not Tennessee this time. Take the 8-4, hopefully win a bowl game and go to the house. Regroup for next season.

Or maybe Stoops and Jimmy Sexton played their hand perfectly and got what they wanted from KY.
That is how the game is played.
A&M fans are going to be in full meltdown mode if true
I knew his name would have to come up, but I think they have to make runs at several sexier hires, and I mean SEVERAL, before they could attempt to sell a Stoops hire.

And the math is very bad. He makes $9mil in Lexington, which is $150k less than Jimbo.
How much would it take to get him to even consider the backstabbing environs of the the Aggies AD/boosters?
$2.4 mil more makes Stoops the highest paid coach in CFB, and that just doesn't make sense in any context.

In the past 6 seasons, Jimbo won 45, and Stoops won 47.

Mark Stoops is 56, which is how old Nick Saban was during the end of his 1st season at Alabama.

I'm sorry, but you're not going to convince me that a majority of college football coaches would rather be at Kentucky than Texas A&M, unless perhaps Kentucky was their home, but that's not the case with Stoops. Texas A&M is the better job. Better resources; higher ceiling.
A&M has had national championship ambitions since Kevin Sumlin and Johnny Manziel had that breakout year in 2012, 11-2.
In Sumlin's 6 seasons A&M won 51 games.
A&M's AD has said they can only offer an incentive-laden contract with fewer guarantees. Problem is Jimbo came for the guarantee. Any big name coach will have to have some guarantees.
It's gonna end up costing them $200mil to upgrade their coach, and they did it to themselves.
I don't think (or know if) even oil money throws that kind of loot around.

T Boone Pickens gave OkSt athletics $320+million in the past 20 years. Do A&M's boosters together donate that kind of money? IDK.

Been reading a little.
A&M oil boosters and the Buc-ee's guy probably can finance all of this if they want to do it.
I would expect some AD heads to roll over the outcome of the Jimbo deal.

Reactions: Volfan1000
It's not that he's terrible (although, he went 2-9 vs Tennessee during one of our worst ever decades) .... It seemed like A&M was really going to swing for the fences with their willingness to pay the Fisher buyout. This looks more like an infield single.
Looks like a pop up bunt double play to me.

So Elko is great because he was previous coach at A&M but Stoops is bad because he hasn’t won enough at Kentucky?

lol
Elko was the obvious choice because several players know him and he knows the aTm culture. Firing Jimbo was a disaster for the portal and recruiting and Elko MIGHT help that a little.

Elko is that girl you dated in high school after a big breakup while you waited for the girl you really want to be with to break up with her boyfriend. She's not who your looking for but she eases the sting of your bad breakup.

He's the in-between coach.

Reactions: VolNExile
Elko was the obvious choice because several players know him and he knows the aTm culture. Firing Jimbo was a disaster for the portal and recruiting and Elko MIGHT help that a little.

Elko is that girl you dated in high school after a big breakup while you waited for the girl you really want to be with to break up with her boyfriend. She's not who your looking for but she eases the sting of your bad breakup.

He's the in-between coach.

Oddly enough, Kentucky is the one I feel sorry for in all this

Their longtime coach just made Googly eyes at another school and would be gone if the feeling were reciprocated. They were not so he come running back to get his nice fat paycheck.

From what I’m reading here and the reasons aTm is settling on Elko, it just hits me as all the wrong reasons for the hire. Familiarity…way down on my list of ways a hire translates into wins. I’d be livid if I were an A&M fan and this is what the powers that be have come up with. Very Tennessee-esque from 2010 to 2020.

Elko is obviously a good coach. You have to be impressed with what he did at Duke. It just doesn't seem like much of a departure from what they had .... and were willing to break the bank to get rid of.

They must have heard "No, thank you," an awful lot.

Oddly enough, Kentucky is the one I feel sorry for in all this

Their longtime coach just made Googly eyes at another school and would be gone if the feeling were reciprocated. They were not so he come running back to get his nice fat paycheck.
It's hard to get me to feel bad for KY. They extended Stoops and overpaid him. I assume Sexton is behind some of this getting out there to either try to get him a little more cash or fool KY into believing they have a "sought after" coach.

KY, overall, appears okay with him and his performance. If he gets a raise out of this, I'll just laugh at how gullible they are in Lexington.

Reactions: SpookyAction
It's hard to get me to feel bad for KY. They extended Stoops and overpaid him. I assume Sexton is behind some of this getting out there to either try to get him a little more cash or fool KY into believing they have a "sought after" coach.

KY, overall, appears okay with him and his performance. If he gets a raise out of this, I'll just laugh at how gullible they are in Lexington.

All very true. I was referring to the fact that these situations rarely work themselves out after a coach has been shown to be sniffing around.

Granted there haven't been many of them. This Stoops situation, Tuberville. Most know it's almost impossible to go back.

GT had one with Bobby Cremmins leaving for USCjr BB and then changing his mind the next day. Cant say that I blamed him-I mean who wants to live in Columbia? Destroyed recruiting within a few years though and he was soon out of a job.

I would not take Elko over Stoops after firing a coach that Elko worked with while having a $100m fully guaranteed contract
I don’t think Elko is some Jimbo clone at all. His offense is different and he’s actually gotten his players to play above their talent these past 2 years at Duke. I think he’s a better coach than Jimbo right now, although his overall resume obviously doesn’t reflect it. I think Texas A&M just got better .

VN Store

Back