Thankful for honest Vol fans about Hunter

I'm sorry. I can't sugarcoat this. This thread proves that some fans are just complete morons.

The kid shredded an ACL and was back playing football in 11 months. For a kid to go through the rehab and pain it takes to get back from an ACL and to then get called out for a lack of effort means you're either clueless or you like to treat football players like cattle.
I think this draft class confirms my long-held suspicions. That is draftniks in the media (Kiper, McShay, Mayock, Brooks, Charles Davis, etc.) and even teams tend to have a natural stigma about players that come from losing or less than stellar teams. Even more so when that team is a smaller program.

Both CP and Hunter would have been gobbled up inside the top 10 picks IF....Tennessee had a successful season. Simple as that. Bray, too, would have been an early pick (1st-2nd Rd).

Teams and pundits put on the rosy colored shades when evaluating players on successful teams and conversely break out the welding goggles when evaluating players on bad teams.

How can I quantify this? Just look at Bray, Tyler Wilson and Matt Barkley's evals before the start of the season. All were projected to be the top of the class. They were also expected to be part of relatively successful teams.

Turns out they weren't. And they are paying the price for their entire team's shortcomings. Bray didn't have a great game every week, but he played well enough to win 5 of the games we lost, and winning tends to build it's own momentum.

Tyler is being wrongly criticized based on some people's speculation. He's the best QB in this class. He just needs to get on a good team, like Pittsburgh, and get coached up.

I think this draft class confirms my long-held suspicions. That is draftniks in the media (Kiper, McShay, Mayock, Brooks, Charles Davis, etc.) and even teams tend to have a natural stigma about players that come from losing or less than stellar teams. Even more so when that team is a smaller program.

Both CP and Hunter would have been gobbled up inside the top 10 picks IF....Tennessee had a successful season. Simple as that. Bray, too, would have been an early pick (1st-2nd Rd). Teams and pundits put on the rosy colored shades when evaluating players on successful teams and conversely break out the welding goggles when evaluating players on bad teams.How can I quantify this? Just look at Bray, Tyler Wilson and Matt Barkley's evals before the start of the season. All were projected to be the top of the class. They were also expected to be part of relatively successful teams.

Turns out they weren't. And they are paying the price for their entire team's shortcomings. Bray didn't have a great game every week, but he played well enough to win 5 of the games we lost, and winning tends to build it's own momentum.

Tyler is being wrongly criticized based on some people's speculation. He's the best QB in this class. He just needs to get on a good team, like Pittsburgh, and get coached up.

I think you are wrong about all bolded areas.

While winning is important, no question. That is a portion and talent will overcome. Do you think Central Michigan would have been close to beating Bama than TN or ND was?

CP is special with the ball in his hands. Hunter was more of a WR. You could argue that Zac Rodgers was the best WR last year.

I would argue that point with anybody! That kid was tue only broght spot on the team last year!

I'm sorry. I can't sugarcoat this. This thread proves that some fans are just complete morons.

The kid shredded an ACL and was back playing football in 11 months. For a kid to go through the rehab and pain it takes to get back from an ACL and to then get called out for a lack of effort means you're either clueless or you like to treat football players like cattle.

i cant completely disagree with you...but every year kids tear there acl's in there jr year in high school and absolutely light it up the next year.

I don't really follow the NFL much, but my team is the Titans. Wish they'd picked somebody else besides Hunter. He may have an awesome career, but I don't like how he was diving to avoid contact and dropping balls in critical drives.

Perfect.

i cant completely disagree with you...but every year kids tear there acl's in there jr year in high school and absolutely light it up the next year.

That's even in the realm of true.

It takes a LOT of hard work, painful work, to get back from an ACL tear.

Also, those kids you're talking about don't play in the SEC.

DaRick will have a longer, more productive career than both CP and Hunter imo.

If he can 'get his mind right' I definitely agree with this..

Granted, they are different types of receivers. DaRick is physical, much more so than JW or CP. He has had little trouble getting off the line of scrimmage (so far). QB's love those guys because they keep drives alive and occasionally make a big play..

That one word, physical, pretty much describes the NFL.

Firstly Hunter may do very well, but remember back right before the season when Hunter was the #1 receiver by all the experts. As the season started many Vol fans were honest and not ripping Hunter, but saying he is not the best on the team. While others were unbelievable angry at those fans for just calling like we see...making excuses. It did not take long to see that CP put more effort and was just better, the NFL has confirmed this. Again Hunter may do very well, but I think it is good idea to cheer for your team as we do as vol fans, but at the same time it is okay to be critically honest about the players on the team, there is nothing wrong with that. Here is to Hunter doing very well and here is to Vol fans that get it...now let's win the NC next year.:)
CP put in more work than Hunter? Hmm. Hunter was trying to get to NFL in one piece. He has a family. With all that he still had a decent season. CP wasn't drafted before JH because of hard work. He was drafted off of potential and playmaking ability. You might want to ease your head out his ass a little bit.

It was not an effort but more of an overprotection thing. You can't do and play your best when you play football like that. It has cost him draft position. He was trying but some do better overcoming the mental part of it than others. Sometimes I do pray roddy white and others on our falcons do go down and not take a big hit because we can not afford an injury or a turnover. But, hunter was over the top with it last year and it was not just to protect his knee. I think drops were also caused sometimes from concentrating on what may happen after the catch and not complete focus on the ball. Call me a moron now if it makes you happy. I will be okay. :)
Moron

CP put in more work than Hunter? Hmm. Hunter was trying to get to NFL in one piece. He has a family. With all that he still had a decent season. CP wasn't drafted before JH because of hard work. He was drafted off of potential and playmaking ability. You might want to ease your head out his ass a little bit.

So "he has a family and was trying to keep from getting hurt" is a good enough excuse to play scared qnd possibly cost YOUR TEAM the game.

ok i understand now, thanks.

Both CP and Hunter would have been gobbled up inside the top 10 picks IF....Tennessee had a successful season. Simple as that. Bray, too, would have been an early pick (1st-2nd Rd).

Teams and pundits put on the rosy colored shades when evaluating players on successful teams and conversely break out the welding goggles when evaluating players on bad teams.

How can I quantify this? Just look at Bray, Tyler Wilson and Matt Barkley's evals before the start of the season. All were projected to be the top of the class. They were also expected to be part of relatively successful teams.

I agree with you as far as Kiper and the rest of those yahoos. They tout those they have relationships with. They talk to these players throughout the season putting them on a pedestal. Its all about relationship and a sob story about your hood or the father who deserted the family. I do however disagree about Bray. I don't know the kid personally but I've watched every game he's started and heard enough second hand info that I can honestly say he is oozing with immaturity. He's not a winner. It jumps out at you and I don't blame a team for not wanting to put their franchise in his hands and a couple million to go with it. I couldn't do it. I've heard from more than one person that there is something not right with him. I do hope he matures and becomes a success in the league however. He's VFL.

The reason lattimore is widely respected is because he was more worried about helping the team than getting re injured. Yes, he got hurt again but that doesnt mean youre always going to get hurt going all out.

So "he has a family and was trying to keep from getting hurt" is a good enough excuse to play scared qnd possibly cost YOUR TEAM the game.

ok i understand now, thanks.

Hunter did not cost this team a game. Its petty that you would even say that. Not the defense that was damn near last in the country and the worst in UT history. But a couple of dropped passes by Hunter cost us. Interesting. I wish I could see your microexpressions right now.

Reactions: 1 person
Hunter did not cost this team a game. Its petty that you would even say that. Not the defense that was damn near last in the country and the worst in UT history. But a couple of dropped passes by Hunter cost us. Interesting. I wish I could see your microexpressions right now.

Its pretty petty to say that but i bet you would turn right around and say Bray was a terrible QB because he couldnt throw 7 TDs a game. Hunter dropped passes, flopped like a fish in open field to avoid contact, didnt go up for ANY contested catches....but youre right. none of that adds up into things that could win a ball game. You know why CP was a better player this past year? not a better WR but a better player. Because no matter what the score or situation was CP didnt give up. He gave everything he had every time he was given the opportunity. he didnt worry about anything but the task at hand and that was to WIN THE D@~N GAME.

VN Store

Back