That's racist!

7 years ago this was my favorite player in the NBA. Today I wish he'd take his communist loving, race-baiting, hate spreading tail to China where he pledges his allegiance to!!

Reactions: dovervolz
7 years ago this was my favorite player in the NBA. Today I wish he'd take his communist loving, race-baiting, hate spreading tail to China where he pledges his allegiance to!!

RE LJ's quote: That's too bad. We are literally everywhere.

According to @PointGuard there are 8 of us whiteys for every black person.

Reactions: AM64 and Rickyvol77

Fact check: LeBron James quote on white people taken out of context
James said, “I went to an all-white high school, Catholic high school, so when I first went to the ninth grade in the high school, I was all of a sudden like ‘I’m not f***ing with white people’. My whole, I was so institutionalized, growing up in the hood, it’s like ‘they don’t f*** with us, they don’t want us to succeed’ […] So, I’m like, ‘I’m going to this school to play ball, and that’s it. I don’t want nothing to do with white people, I don’t believe that they want anything to do with my—it’s me and my boys, we going to high school together and we here to hoop.’ So that was like my initial thoughts and my initial shock to, like, white America when I was 14 years old, for the first time in my life.”

Context...................

James said, “I went to an all-white high school, Catholic high school, so when I first went to the ninth grade in the high school, I was all of a sudden like ‘I’m not f***ing with white people’. My whole, I was so institutionalized, growing up in the hood, it’s like ‘they don’t f*** with us, they don’t want us to succeed’ […] So, I’m like, ‘I’m going to this school to play ball, and that’s it. I don’t want nothing to do with white people, I don’t believe that they want anything to do with my—it’s me and my boys, we going to high school together and we here to hoop.’ So that was like my initial thoughts and my initial shock to, like, white America when I was 14 years old, for the first time in my life.”

Lebron still regrets every ball he passed to Kevin Love. HA!

My apologies

My apologies, I did not realize that was the context.
That doesn't change my new opinion of him however. He has done more damage and caused more racial division in our nation then any other athlete athlete.

My apologies

My apologies, I did not realize that was the context.
That doesn't change my new opinion of him however. He has done more damage and caused more racial division in our nation then any other athlete athlete.
No problem. LeBron is deserving of neither glorification or vilification....IMO

He’s still a racist POS

You are the VN expert on “out of context”.

We had a similar option and chose a similar path with our son. After middle school, he was allowed to choose either the Christian school where his sister attended or the local mega high school with one provision. He was only allowed to take AP and Honors classes. The school essentially has a school within the school for that curricula. He stayed out of "general population" and did great. He is enrolled in Tn Tech for the autumn and hope to dual major in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering.

ETA; at the ceremony where the school honored the top 25 from the senior class, there were white, black, indian, asian, and hispanic kids in that group. Male and female represented with a slight advantage to females.

The chemistry degree will be an easy lift with chem E. You better prep him for a bad sophomore year and a brutal junior year. Classes and labs will eat up full days most of the week sophomore year and all week his junior year. He will miss out on a lot of the socializing, lounging, sports, and partying his friends will be doing.

Reactions: AM64 and McDad
The chemistry degree will be an easy lift with chem E. You better prep him for a bad sophomore year and a brutal junior year. Classes and labs will eat up full days most of the week sophomore year and all week his junior year. He will miss out on a lot of the socializing, lounging, sports, and partying his friends will be doing.
Funny story: We toured Tech. When we left the engineering portion of the tour, he told me about the double major in Chem/Chem E. I said the classes which separate the men from the boys is Organic and P Chem. Our next stop was the business college. The dean was a Chem E major at Tech. When he heard of my son's plans, he repeated my words. The look on my kid's face was priceless. My son looked at me like I set him up.
Unless his needs change in college, I am not worried about him wanting to socialize with people except for the occasional DnD game.

Reactions: AM64 and hog88
Funny story: We toured Tech. When we left the engineering portion of the tour, he told me about the double major in Chem/Chem E. I said the classes which separate the men from the boys is Organic and P Chem. Our next stop was the business college. The dean was a Chem E major at Tech. When he heard of my son's plans, he repeated my words. The look on my kid's face was priceless. My son looked at me like I set him up.
Unless his needs change in college, I am not worried about him wanting to socialize with people except for the occasional DnD game.

Loved physical chemistry. Those classes are the most applied chemistry he’ll take on a gen chem track. In that respect, it is the most like chem e course work. One can also mathematically reason his way through most problems by knowing some common principles and a fair amount of calculus.

Organic chemistry BLOWS. Everyone talks about how hard it is, and it does completely suck. It’s like being fed a bunch of disjointed information through a fire hose.

Here’s what I wish someone would have told me before organic: The key to getting through organic is realize it’s the history class of chemistry. You just have to memorize a bunch of stuff that follows no rational pattern. You cannot reason you’re way through a problem like you can in almost every other chemistry course. The only recourse is to have memorized how certain reactions take place and WHERE they take place. If you don’t treat it like a history class you’re going to get screwed at exam time.

The upside is he’ll only need to retain that information if he ends up taking Biochem. Otherwise, not too many other applications unless you specialize in the field. Not to say it won’t be used or referenced, but you’ll be able to look it up for reference.

Reactions: AM64 and McDad
Loved physical chemistry. Those classes are the most applied chemistry he’ll take on a gen chem track. In that respect, it is the most like chem e course work. One can also mathematically reason his way through most problems by knowing some common principles and a fair amount of calculus.

Organic chemistry BLOWS. Everyone talks about how hard it is, and it does completely suck. It’s like being fed a bunch of disjointed information through a fire hose.

Here’s what I wish someone would have told me before organic: The key to getting through organic is realize it’s the history class of chemistry. You just have to memorize a bunch of stuff that follows no rational pattern. You cannot reason you’re way through a problem like you can in almost every other chemistry course. The only recourse is to have memorized how certain reactions take place and WHERE they take place. If you don’t treat it like a history class you’re going to get screwed at exam time.

The upside is he’ll only need to retain that information if he ends up taking Biochem. Otherwise, not too many other applications unless you specialize in the field. Not to say it won’t be used or referenced, but you’ll be able to look it up for reference.
Great insight. I will definitely share with him. Thank you.

Reactions: AM64
You can also tell him the running joke: what do you call a chem e major?

Pre business
Considering the Dean of the Business College worked as a Chem E, there must be an element of truth to the joke.

Why is that? Are Chem Es frustrated in the field? Does it help with salary? Give me the DC_Vol lowdown on the deal.

Considering the Dean of the Business College worked as a Chem E, there must be an element of truth to the joke.

Why is that? Are Chem Es frustrated in the field? Does it help with salary? Give me the DC_Vol lowdown on the deal.

I was a plain chemistry major. Did mine with that white supremacist math. Looked at doing exactly as your boy wants to and realized I already had bit off more than I wanted to chew. Regardless, here is my take:

General Chem degree is a lot of fun and will teach you how to problem solve. I don’t regret getting it. The work prospects on the other side are terrible. You need a PhD to anything fun. Starting salaries are bad and you’ll end up QA/QC roles locked away in a lab making not great money. I had offers out of school as a scented candle formulator, QC/lab work on the pharmaceutical side, and a quality control engineer in a plant. The last one was the highest offer as far as salary goes.

Chem E pay will be a lot better, though I think not in line with the work you have to put in for it. Likely he’ll end up in a plant somewhere solving some pretty cool problems and won’t need a PhD. He should talk to a few if he can about current prospects in the field.

I ended up going to work on the business side as a consultant solving operations problems using my math background. Went back to school for an advanced business degree and have been doing analytics work since before it was en Vogue.

I always advise future students who ask me what they should major in that I would do a combination of statistics / computer science or operations research / computer science. It’s where all the big pay is going to be. Everyone is collecting so much data but there isn’t the talent that know how to consume and apply it. Too many kids eating tide pods and protesting than studying applied sciences.

VN Store

Back