The Atlanta Braves Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly believe Schafer is not playing over his head. He stopped trying to hit everything into the 15th row in RCF. Hitting is much simpler when you open yourself to the whole field. The tools have always been there. His swing is pure. He doesn't have a heyward hit or an upton leg kick. He's growing into who he is as a player.

1. He definitely seems to have finally put that PED-fueled power thing behind him and embraced who he really is as a hitter: a guy who needs to just put the bat on the ball and run like hell. As I said, I've mentally upgraded him from a 25th man to a good 4th OF. I thought he was a lost cause, but clearly he's changed some things up.

2. That said, his OBP is .420 right now. That's over almost everybody's head. I don't care how much of his improvement is real vs sample size; there's no way he keeps getting on base at close to that rate.

Last edited:
1. He definitely seems to have finally put that PED-fueled power thing behind him and embraced who he really is as a hitter: a guy who needs to just put the bat on the ball and run like hell. As I said, I've mentally upgraded him from a 25th man to a good 4th OF. I thought he was a lost cause, but clearly he's changed some things up.

2. That said, his OBP is .420 right now. That's over almost everybody's head. I don't care how much of his improvement is real vs sample size; there's no way he keeps getting on base at close to that rate.

I was unaware his OBP was that high. I agree with you there. I certainly think he's a fine player though.

Has nothing to do with Schafer. Guys who hit way over their career numbers in the first half inevitably slide back the second half. Guys who hit way under their numbers usually rebound. (Exception: Nate McLouth.) Regression toward the mean is practically a law of physics.

Hate to say it, but I'm in the same boat when it comes to Schaefer. I think it's great what he's doing and should ride the hot streak wherever they can, but he's a career .230 hitter with 1,000 plate appearances that's hitting at a .310 clip right now. Chances are he'll hit in the mid .200s the rest of the way (which the Braves will gladly take from their 4th outfielder).

I honestly believe Schafer is not playing over his head. He stopped trying to hit everything into the 15th row in RCF. Hitting is much simpler when you open yourself to the whole field. The tools have always been there. His swing is pure. He doesn't have a heyward hitch or an upton leg kick. He's growing into who he is as a player.

I agree. Is he the next Grady Sizemore (lol at this now) like he was compared to be back when he was the hot item in the minors? No. But is all that talent that he has potentially coming to fruition? It is possible. He has always had it in him, he was just always a punk ass and did not have his head screwed on straight. He has 2 big things going for him:

1. Hell on the basepaths
2. Terrific defense

And like you said his approach now that he is not trying to have a penis measuring contest everytime he steps to the dish is pretty mechanically solid. He isn't going to continue to get on at a .420 rate (which is awesome for multiple reasons) but I definitely think it will be a better clip than his first few seasons. Like a fine wine, if you will.

492373821_6d2939db0f_z.jpg

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

I prefer 2 on the whole but the perfect positioning of the helmet post bounce off the ground in 1 is nice

I like 2 as an avatar. 1 is pretty cool though with the helmet perfectly levitated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back