The Atlanta Braves Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I by no means think Simmons is a great hitter. I think he is average with the potential to be good. Being thrust towards the top of the lineup is detrimental to his development and the team. It's dumb all the way around. My point is, I don't think that means he is a horrible hitter. Moreless he is a fish out of water at the top.

I get it. I do too. I really don't care about the speed so much as I just want someone who can get on base in front of Jason/Justin/Freddie/Gattis or Mac and let them do their thing. Andy isn't that guy. That's why I wanted a leadoff hitter. Because I love Simba, he's just not a consistent hitter right now, and he's not a guy who draws walks, which is a bad combo. I wonder what the Padres want for Chase Headley.

And I love Mac. He's back and it's great to see.

Where would a leadoff hitter have played? As soon as the Braves signed BJ Upton to replace Bourn, we knew this team wouldn't have a traditional leadoff hitter this year. There's nowhere to put one. And unless they can conjure a leadoff-hitting third baseman out of thin air, there won't be one next year either.

I know Schafer vs BJ is giving everyone a sad face right now, but look on the bright side: Schafer's OBP right now is over 100 points higher than his career OBP. Once he inevitably regresses back towards the mean in the second half, there won't be anybody on the roster at all who can lead off, and we'll all feel better about BJ again. Whee!

I don't think batting 1st is any more detriment to his development than batting 8th would be. He swings at every thing and makes contact with a lot of it. Batting 8th he would be in a spot more inclined to be pitched around to get to the pitcher, but you have to talk a walk to be walked. At least at the top of the lineup, he should theoretically get more strikes to hit. Problem is..you show the inclination to swing the bat, you're going to stop getting strikes no matter where you hit.

If Jason gets his head out of his ass and the barrel through the zone, I would bat him leadoff in a heartbeat

Where would a leadoff hitter have played? As soon as the Braves signed BJ Upton to replace Bourn, we knew this team wouldn't have a traditional leadoff hitter this year. There's nowhere to put one. And unless they can conjure a leadoff-hitting third baseman out of thin air, there won't be one next year either.

I know Schafer vs BJ is giving everyone a sad face right now, but look on the bright side: Schafer's OBP right now is over 100 points higher than his career OBP. Once he inevitably regresses back towards the mean in the second half, there won't be anybody on the roster at all who can lead off, and we'll all feel better about BJ again. Whee!

You know you sound like whocaresgoarencibia right now. right?

I don't think batting 1st is any more detriment to his development than batting 8th would be. He swings at every thing and makes contact with a lot of it. Batting 8th he would be in a spot more inclined to be pitched around to get to the pitcher, but you have to talk a walk to be walked. At least at the top of the lineup, he should theoretically get more strikes to hit. Problem is..you show the inclination to swing the bat, you're going to stop getting strikes no matter where you hit.

Yes, but traditionally anything you get from your 8th hitter in the NL is a bonus. That is so not the case when you're hitting leadoff. It is detrimental to his development (IMO) because he is still very young to thrust into a role of such significance. It is a lot of pressure, in the 8th spot the pressure is significantly reduced and he isn't trying to set the table for the big bats.

Jason
BJ/Dan
Freddie/Mac
Justin
Mac/Freddie
Dan/BJ
Johnson
Simmons

Assuming those three aholes start hitting. BJ is a notoriously streak hitter. Fredi better not bury him or give him a day off if ones ever coming on.

Man, I am fully aware this team has some problems (maybe a lot) but, given the circumstances, it still feels like it should be a lot more to be in this thread than it has been lately. Yeesh.

You know you sound like whocaresgoarencibia right now. right?

Has nothing to do with Schafer. Guys who hit way over their career numbers in the first half inevitably slide back the second half. Guys who hit way under their numbers usually rebound. (Exception: Nate McLouth.) Regression toward the mean is practically a law of physics.

Yes, but traditionally anything you get from your 8th hitter in the NL is a bonus. That is so not the case when you're hitting leadoff. It is detrimental to his development (IMO) because he is still very young to thrust into a role of such significance. It is a lot of pressure, in the 8th spot the pressure is significantly reduced and he isn't trying to set the table for the big bats.

You ever heard Simba talk? He thinks he's gods gift to baseball. He is going to press the same amount every at bat whether he's 1st, 4th, or 9th

Man, I am fully aware this team has some problems (maybe a lot) but, given the circumstances, it still feels like it should be a lot more to be in this thread than it has been lately. Yeesh.

seriously think it's "ooooookayyyyyy so this really isn't a tight division race ummmmmm" syndrome.

That's the scientific term iirc

Has nothing to do with Schafer. Guys who hit way over their career numbers in the first half inevitably slide back the second half. Guys who hit way under their numbers usually rebound. (Exception: Nate McLouth.) Regression toward the mean is practically a law of physics.

I honestly believe Schafer is not playing over his head. He stopped trying to hit everything into the 15th row in RCF. Hitting is much simpler when you open yourself to the whole field. The tools have always been there. His swing is pure. He doesn't have a heyward hitch or an upton leg kick. He's growing into who he is as a player.

So Danny Espionsa got send down? Lol He was the difference maker in proving who was better.

My original statement had nothing to do with the content of your statement (which I more-less agree with).

Sounding like Arencibia is a bad look, man. Lol.

silly players having confidence. should have thrown in the towel immediately!

seriously think it's "ooooookayyyyyy so this really isn't a tight division race ummmmmm" syndrome.

That's the scientific term iirc

Worried about a ring. Have a mantle full of divisions. Three guys combining to hit .161 is a pretty big deal. Really only Mac and Freddie are hitting.

silly players having confidence. should have thrown in the towel immediately!

Nothing wrong with confidence.... But Its still funny. A lot of ball left to play, but if you are gonna talk, you should at least not be demoted... Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back