The Atlanta Braves Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alas, they've cracked down on human trafficking and there are less happy endings in Macon than there used to be.

This is almost (almost) a little sad. Mrs Verc and I noticed the last time we drove through on the way to Savannah that we hadn't seen any of our favorite billboards. End of an era.

Game 7 is a little different than an afternoon in July with a 6 game lead.

No doubt, but still, the cultures are completely different. If this were a hockey team nobody would be even talking about who was going to play the outfield this weekend because it would be a given that Gattis and Heyward would play. Even in January, even with a big lead in the division.

I understand why baseball's cult of the day to day became how it is. 162 games, so each game doesn't mean that much, so the "better safe than sorry" mentality makes sense. Don't want to push it. Don't want to get in any bad habits. A tweak becomes a weekend. I understand how we got here; I just think at some point it got so commonplace that it's silly. Every MLB dugout really ought to have a fainting couch down at one end of it.

Dolla Dolla Bills are a big part if it as well.

Jus sayin...

Baseball players are the only US athletes that get completely guaranteed contracts. Don't they have less risk than other sports' athletes? I think we've all seen a Hall of Famer or two take a whole weekend off when he was feeling a little tender while right in the middle of a huge long-term guaranteed contract.

Baseball players are the only US athletes that get completely guaranteed contracts. Don't they have less risk than other sports' athletes? I think we've all seen a Hall of Famer or two take a whole weekend off when he was feeling a little tender while right in the middle of a huge long-term guaranteed contract.

Why would a team risk a 100M investment?

All I know is two weeks ago Patrice Bergeron played a full game 7 with a separated shoulder, a broken rib, and a punctured lung. The Braves are probably about to have multiple guys sit out the whole weekend because they're sore. The cultures are completely different.

I guess they learned something from Chipper

I would like to share with you gentlemen the handmade "book" that was handed to me a few minutes ago by my 8 year old son, to commemorate the fact that I was about to tick over another year to 43.

Page 1:

9271800695_67c4d02482_z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back