The Atlanta Braves Thread

I don’t think Snit is an all time great but it’s pretty funny to say “doesn’t know how to manage a team with expectations” about a guy who has a World Series ring.

Cox was not great in the World Series but a lot of the blame fell on the front office for not putting any real offensive threats in the lineup outside of a couple of good years with McGriff and AG. The Edgar Renteria trade was beyond stupid. Snitker has been pretty average in the postseason but again the front office has done little to address the lack of a frontline starter other than a couple of late career rentals. It’s been a recurring theme for the Braves front office for the last three decades. The Braves continue to operate like they are the Brewers in terms of money but expect to be in contention every year.

I don’t think Snit is an all time great but it’s pretty funny to say “doesn’t know how to manage a team with expectations” about a guy who has a World Series ring.

I actually have less problems with the decision making and more problems with the “aw gee shucks the boys will figure it out” attitude (which has led to bad decision making)

Reactions: 05_never_again
There’s beauty in having a front office/management team that never makes panic decisions and consistently looks to improve within the margins. How many times have we panicked in the last six years and then come September the Braves win the East? And it’s the right way to run a franchise.

But the lack of urgency overall and the “But what if we lose the deal?” way of thinking is incredibly frustrating. It’s why we don’t have Freddie, why we didn’t go after a Wheeler or Castillo or a Harper.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Cox was not great in the World Series but a lot of the blame fell on the front office for not putting any real offensive threats in the lineup outside of a couple of good years with McGriff and AG. The Edgar Renteria trade was beyond stupid. Snitker has been pretty average in the postseason but again the front office has done little to address the lack of a frontline starter other than a couple of late career rentals. It’s been a recurring theme for the Braves front office for the last three decades. The Braves continue to operate like they are the Brewers in terms of money but expect to be in contention every year.
They spent the 90s and maybe even into the early 2000s with a top 5 payroll and spent on guys like Gary Sheffield, Galarraga etc. I think some of them just disappeared in the postseason and made it seem worse.

I think it's definitely fair though to say that they squandered some pitching prospects especially 3-5 years ago. I still have no idea how they won the WS with some of the slop they were running out their in the starting rotation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfan1000
ATL also didn't really invest that much in a bullpen throughout the 90s.

Reactions: GAVol
Wonder what ol Marcel could have done. Guess it doesn’t matter

Riley should probably be in the bottom half for awhile

VN Store

Back