The Atlanta Braves Thread

Just goes to show how absolutely ridiculous winning 14 straight division titles was
I've never exactly understood the "but the division was always bad" line that gets trotted out to downplay it.

The team that came in second place won at least 90 games in 7 of those 14 seasons, and at least 88 games in 10 of them.

I've never exactly understood the "but the division was always bad" line that gets trotted out to downplay it.

The team that came in second place won at least 90 games in 7 of those 14 seasons, and at least 88 games in 10 of them.

Taking out 1995 (101 win pace btw) Braves only twice won less than 94 games during that run

Reactions: 05_never_again
#Restock the farm Alex
Throwing in the towel already? He didn’t in ‘21 and that worked out pretty good. Kevin Pillar is having a fine season and can be had for pretty cheap I’d say. He would be an upgrade over Duvall for sure. They’re throwing everything at the wall on the 5th starter spot and seeing if anything will stick. They’re hoping they can use the limited prospect capital on getting a OF bat

Throwing in the towel already? He didn’t in ‘21 and that worked out pretty good. Kevin Pillar is having a fine season and can be had for pretty cheap I’d say. He would be an upgrade over Duvall for sure. They’re throwing everything at the wall on the 5th starter spot and seeing if anything will stick. They’re hoping they can use the limited prospect capital on getting a OF bat
On today's Locked On Braves podcast, Jake Mastrionni said Joe, Pham, Pillar Sheets and Blackmon could be trade targets for AA.

Olson slugging .426 😬
I love Olson, but him slugging around that clip for an extended period of time is not unheard of. He slugged .424 during the Covid year (played all 60 games) and .453 in 2018 (played all 162 games).

Other than last season, the only other season where he slugged over .600 was 2017, and he played just 59 games.

Reactions: Weezy
How are they all bad bro? It’s depressing lol
There’s got to be a dynamic in the clubhouse or something. You can explain some of it with regression to mean. Guys like Riley and Murphy can chalk some of it up to injury. Some of it may be due to the baseball or bad luck. But to have literally the whole team in a slump except Ozuna the year after they hit 300 HRs is flat out bizarre. This looks exactly like 2021 before AA bought a new outfield.

Anderson needs to start today to give Duvall a day off
Also, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of Martinez just to see what he can do.
Also, Release Nacho and send arcia to Zimbabwe

There’s got to be a dynamic in the clubhouse or something. You can explain some of it with regression to mean. Guys like Riley and Murphy can chalk some of it up to injury. Some of it may be due to the baseball or bad luck. But to have literally the whole team in a slump except Ozuna the year after they hit 300 HRs is flat out bizarre. This looks exactly like 2021 before AA bought a new outfield.
This sounds whiny and conspiratorial but I really do think the ball has something to do with it. How are they #1 in hard hit percentage yet so bad in most offensive statistical categories? Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't someone post another tweet that showed when they are barreling a ball it's going over 10 feet less than it was last year? Offense is down across the league, and the Braves are very HR-dependent so it is affecting them more.

Having said that, they clearly are also not just hitting well (Harris not scoring after a leadoff triple last night is case in point) and the accumulated effect of Freddie gone, Dansby gone, Wash gone, best position player injured, and best SP injured is big. When you put it in those terms, it's actually kind of wild they are still 6 over .500 and (for now) have a 4 game lead in the WC.

This sounds whiny and conspiratorial but I really do think the ball has something to do with it. How are they #1 in hard hit percentage yet so bad in most offensive statistical categories? Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't someone post another tweet that showed when they are barreling a ball it's going over 10 feet less than it was last year? Offense is down across the league, and the Braves are very HR-dependent so it is affecting them more.

Having said that, they clearly are also not just hitting well (Harris not scoring after a leadoff triple last night is case in point) and the accumulated effect of Freddie gone, Dansby gone, Wash gone, best position player injured, and best SP injured is big. When you put it in those terms, it's actually kind of wild they are still 6 over .500 and (for now) have a 4 game lead in the WC.

They clearly are getting unlucky but they have no leadership in the clubhouse. It’s one thing to get unlucky. It’s another to go down 2-0 and see the body language and swing decisions completely shift.

They clearly are getting unlucky but they have no leadership in the clubhouse. It’s one thing to get unlucky. It’s another to go down 2-0 and see the body language and swing decisions completely shift.
I still am shocked at how the body language changed last year early in Game 1 against the Phillies.

They're coming off a historically good offensive season, they go one time quietly through the order against Ranger and they had looks on their faces like they'd just been walked off in Game 7 of the WS. This is 2nd/3rd inning of your first playoff game, and it is still scoreless. It was weird.

This team gives off a late 1980s vibe. Fall behind 3 or 4 runs early and it's over. Don't have the hitting to comeback on most nights

You can blame AA for this. More than Snit. - Freeman, Swanson, Contreras.

Last year starting to feel like a fluke

This team gives off a late 1980s vibe. Fall behind 3 or 4 runs early and it's over. Don't have the hitting to comeback on most nights

Fluke? No. They also raked in 2022. Not like 2023, but they were really good offensively then too.

Good timing with a bunch of talented hitters all having career or near-career years? Perhaps.

So this kinda leads into the HOT Take I mentioned the other night.

AA got lucky in 21, but he's kinda overrated. He's done just as much harm as good.

Reactions: vols 30
So this kinda leads into the HOT Take I mentioned the other night.

AA got lucky in 21, but he's kinda overrated. He's done just as much harm as good.
You can make a claim that AA got lucky, but not because of 2021. I think he did get lucky in that he inherited a team that was closer to competitiveness/better than everybody thought. There wasn't as much roster rebuilding needed due to the emergence of certain guys who were already in the system when he took the job.

IMO he's in a similar spot to Danny White. He's done a great job, but there were a lot of pieces already in place before he got here that have led to success as well.

VN Store

Back