The Atlanta Braves Thread

I mean, I don't actually think they will, but I wouldn't mind moving some pieces and re stocking the farm.

So here’s the issue. They’re not trading Ozzie, Acuna, Olson, JK, Riley, or Mike. They’re not trading Sale. Max or Chuck would get a very small return with only two months left. Relievers don’t bring a lot. You’re not really gonna restock the farm. It’s gonna be a bunch of fringe prospects. They’d get a good haul for Sale or Lopez but the staff would be depleted for next year. You’re best bet is get the OF fixed, grab the #4 seed and then go from there

So here’s the issue. They’re not trading Ozzie, Acuna, Olson, JK, Riley, or Mike. They’re not trading Sale. Max or Chuck would get a very small return with only two months left. Relievers don’t bring a lot. You’re not really gonna restock the farm. It’s gonna be a bunch of fringe prospects. They’d get a good haul for Sale or Lopez but the staff would be depleted for next year. You’re best bet is get the OF fixed, grab the #4 seed and then go from there
See, I'm not talking about moving guys under contract though.
Just guys with a year left.
Max
Minter
TDA
Chuck
I'm not moving guys with multiple years.

My thinking exactly. I get being concerned about thin talent but I don't think it's anything you can fix right away as if it's an either/or thing to compete or sell. If they wanted to reload, those are the moves they need to make in the draft and in December; not in season by trading away 2 month rentals. You can't just clean house every time you're not in 1st place like the plot of Moneyball.

I get what you're saying, but you know that nobody is selling from 10 games over .500 at the break. The Braves, Nats and Phillies have all won the WS the past 5 years after looking dead on the side of the road in the regular season. The last 2 months have been a death march, but I'm sure they think they're a replacement level bat or two away from being fine.
I don’t think so, we are on an absolute razor’s edge with zero room for error. Acuna, Harris, Strider, all gone. Olson is in the middle of regression year. Sale could go out any minute. And the top of the NL is going to be a really tough mountain to climb. It’s a great time for a quick re-set.

Our august and September schedules are both bad, so we we will hang around, so try might as well add a decent OF bat, and call up the kid SS and go from there.

I don’t think so, we are on an absolute razor’s edge with zero room for error. Acuna, Harris, Strider, all gone. Olson is in the middle of regression year. Sale could go out any minute. And the top of the NL is going to be a really tough mountain to climb. It’s a great time for a quick re-set.
What kind of reset are you going to get trading away 2 months of Fried and Morton though? More specifically, who is going to hand top prospects to the Braves?

The only way that works is if you unload one of the team friendly contracts like Harris or Ozzie for a haul.

What kind of reset are you going to get trading away 2 months of Fried and Morton though? More specifically, who is going to hand top prospects to the Braves?

The only way that works is if you unload one of the team friendly contracts like Harris or Ozzie for a haul.
They wouldn’t do it, but I agree with him, Fried would brig back multiple top prospects at minimum. A team like Baltimore could do it and not even kill their farm

Even as a rental, arms like that aren’t always available

I like to give Fried a little down the road but he is an incredible pitcher. Someone would absolutely make a ridiculous offer for him.

It’s hard to exercise any nuance when we are still a good team, but 2 things, we really don’t have many trade assets to bring in a good player, (and the ones we have we need to keep) and at some point we have to give some serious attention to re-sticking the farm. Especially if we aren’t going to be active in FA. Trading what we have now is just robbing Peter/pay Paul.

Plus, as much as I hate to say it, we don’t have to horses to compete with the duds. Making the playoffs is one thing, competing in the playoffs is another.

I could see Fried getting traded to avoid losing him for nothing, and we’d still try and make post season so we wouldn’t be sellers, but only judicious buyers.

VN Store

Back