The Civil War Day By Day Sesquicentennial Thread

JTrain got a question? How many southern officers stayed with the union? I know Anderson (the leader of fort Sumter) was a Ky man, the officer that turned Arlington into a cemetery was from Georgia, Admeral Farragut was from Knoxville, any others?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

April 12, 1861-South Carolina secessionists under P.G.T. Beaureguard, assisted by future Confederate Corps commander Stephen D. Lee, commence a bombardment of Fort Sumter, in Charleston Harbor.

The Rubicon has been crossed, though nobody knows the cost.

I am not sure I agree with that. Being that there were no casualties, I think there was still a huge opportunity for negotiations.

I knew a man named Rubin and a man named Conley. They were know respectively as Rube and Con. When you crossed either of them, the time for negotiations was over and done.

Meanwhile, I understand that 'negotiations' had been going on for years in the govt. and apparently no acceptable solutions were found. So the acceptable solution was to have men fire on their own countrymen. And then kill each other. And cause some scars that may not be fully healed unto this day.

When supposedly civilized people take these actions, you gotta know that there is more than common sense driving them.

JTrain got a question? How many southern officers stayed with the union? I know Anderson (the leader of fort Sumter) was a Ky man, the officer that turned Arlington into a cemetery was from Georgia, Admeral Farragut was from Knoxville, any others?

I'm sure that there are more examples of answers to your question but both KY and East TN were Union areas.

Unless you meant southern by literal geographical location, then you can just completely ignore my comment

I'm sure that there are more examples of answers to your question but both KY and East TN were Union areas.

Unless you meant southern by literal geographical location, then you can just completely ignore my comment

They were more split than pro-Union. Greene County was very pro-Union.

Sullivan County is the only NE TN county to vote in favor of secession, though.

Yes I knew that. Western ky leaned more toward the south though. Eastern ky was really split but had more union sympathizers

I knew a man named Rubin and a man named Conley. They were know respectively as Rube and Con. When you crossed either of them, the time for negotiations was over and done.

Meanwhile, I understand that 'negotiations' had been going on for years in the govt. and apparently no acceptable solutions were found. So the acceptable solution was to have men fire on their own countrymen. And then kill each other. And cause some scars that may not be fully healed unto this day.

When supposedly civilized people take these actions, you gotta know that there is more than common sense driving them.

Or maybe "less than common sense driving them."

Yes I knew that. Western ky leaned more toward the south though. Eastern ky was really split but had more union sympathizers

People always say the Civil War wasn't about slavery, but the pro-union areas had few slave-holders and few slaves and the pro-Confederacy had at least a few prodigious slave-holders.

Obviously it wasn't as simple as one issue, but that is what seemed to ultimately tip loyalties. East Tennessee didn't have much slavery, as farm plots were small due to geography and the soil quality marginal.

Oh, crap. But I don't want to ruin this thread bringing up the tired "reasons for the Civil War" topic.

So I've said my piece on that. Done.

Great thread idea.

True, I was speaking more to the official status of the state. They started off as being neutral but, after Polk failed, they requested Union assistance.

:good!:

I thought it was good, as far as knowledge, maybe a link.

Hoping it stays as a "this day" thread for 4+ years.
I came here to say that I look forward to this thread for the next 4+ years.

Great thread idea.

Knoxville has quite a large place in Civil War history.
It is worth it to take some time to visit the different areas of Knoxville that were here during the War.

One of my favorites in the Bleak House (Confederate Memorial Hall) off Kingston Pike. It was used by General Longstreet during the Siege of Knoxville in 1863. There are still bullet and cannonball holes in the walls. The tower, used by snipers during the war, still has bloodstains on the walls. It also has a small drawing on the wall of 3 men who supposedly were killed in action in the tower.

Very neat place to check out

So, the tally two days into the war -one killed and one mortally wounded and a dead horse. Bet these figures are going to change.

Last edited:
It is worth it to take some time to visit the different areas of Knoxville that were here during the War.

One of my favorites in the Bleak House (Confederate Memorial Hall) off Kingston Pike. It was used by General Longstreet during the Siege of Knoxville in 1863. There are still bullet and cannonball holes in the walls. The tower, used by snipers during the
war, still has bloodstains on the walls. It
also has a small drawing on the wall of 3
men who supposedly were killed in action in
the tower.

I've seen that place on Tennessee crossroads. I would like to visit

One of my favorites in the Bleak House (Confederate Memorial Hall) off Kingston Pike. It was used by General Longstreet during the Siege of Knoxville in 1863. There are still bullet and cannonball holes in the walls. The tower, used by snipers during the war, still has bloodstains on the walls. It also has a small drawing on the wall of 3 men who supposedly were killed in action in the tower.

Helluva place to have a wedding reception too. :)

April 12, 1861-South Carolina secessionists under P.G.T. Beaureguard, assisted by future Confederate Corps commander Stephen D. Lee, commence a bombardment of Fort Sumter, in Charleston Harbor.

The Rubicon has been crossed, though nobody knows the cost.

It is the opinion of most that the South started the war, but Lincoln was looking to rumble. He had told S Carolina he would withdraw troops from Sumter. After he delayed in this task, S Carolina threatened to fire on reinforcements. Lincoln forced their hand when he sent reinforcements and he used the shots fired (nobody killed) as an excuse to initiate the next 8 conflicts and set us down a path to the bloodiest, most miserable, and unnecessary war in American history. :cray:

April 14 1861

Parades, celebrations and a general holiday occurred in Charleston, South Carolina today as the defeated Union garrison of Fort Sumter packed up and left. They boarded the ships which had been standing offshore, unknown to them, bringing the supplies which might have allowed them to hold out longer against attack. In Charleston special services of thanksgiving were held in churches. Gov. Pickens said, perhaps prematurely, “We have met them and we have conquered."

April 15, 1861

Upon hearing of the fall of Sumter, Lincoln calls for 75,000 Volunteers, for 90 days, to "restore the execution of law" in the Deep South. The border states take a good long look in the mirror. Lincoln may have forced their hands.

Virginia was the key for Lincoln.

He thought he could keep the Old Dominion. It was the lynch pin for both sides.

On April 13, before the convention could completely finalize this document and submit it to the federal government, the convention learned of the attack on Fort Sumter in South Carolina. The members of the convention saw this as an act of coercion by the North, and this they could not tolerate. Accordingly, on April 16, the convention went into secret session and on the following day passed an ordinance of secession uniting their state's destiny with that of the Southern Confederacy.

April 15, 1861

Upon hearing of the fall of Sumter, Lincoln calls for 75,000 Volunteers, for 90 days, to "restore the execution of law" in the Deep South. The border states take a good long look in the mirror. Lincoln may have forced their hands.

Just to coat tail off of what you said Train.

Northern states accepted the call for troops; Kentucky and North Carolina immediately refused. Enthusiastic amateurs in North Carolina seized Federal Fort Macon, which was not difficult as it was unoccupied. In many cities large and small the news of the firing on Ft. Sumter was the occasion for mass meetings, torchlight parades, and a strange feeling of relief that the war, so long anticipated, had finally, definitely arrived.

April 16, 1861

The North begins to mobilize. New York, with a very organized militia, mobilizes 11 Regiments for the "Summer War".

Elsewhere, states call for Volunteers.

This is a neat little document, typical of those calling for volunteers
GENERAL ORDERS NO. 2.
GENERAL HEADQUARTERS,

OFFICE OF THE COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF,

SPRINGFIELD, ILL., April 16, 1861.

The Secretary of War, under and by direction of the President of the United States, having called upon the Executive of this State for the immediate organization of six regiments of volunteer militia to aid in the enforcement of the laws of the United States, and to protect the public property; therefore, I, Richard Yates, Governor of the State of Illinois, and Commander-in-Chief of the militia thereof, do call upon the commandants of divisions, brigades, regiments and independent companies to aid in raising and organizing the same immediately, and if there be no such officers, then the sheriff of each county.

By the instruction of the War Department, each company will consist of one captain, one first lieutenant. one second lieutenant, four sergeants, four corporals, two musicians, and eighty men.

Each regiment will be composed of one colonel, one lieutenant-colonel, one major, one adjutant (a lieutenant of one of the companies, but not in addition), one sergeant-major, one quartermaster-sergeant, two principal musicians, and ten companies.

Each company will elect its own officers, and when the several companies shall meet at the place of rendezvous, they will be formed into regiments, and will elect their own regimental officers. As fast as the companies are formed the commanding officer will make a return to the office of the Adjutant General, stating the names of the officers and number of men in each company. No person, under the rank of a commissioned officer, will be received who is apparently over the age of forty-five, or under the age of eighteen years.

Springfield is appointed the place of rendezvous, to which place each company or regiment will repair, at the earliest practicable period-where tents, and such other conveniences as can be procured, will be furnished.

Companies will be received in the order in which their services are offered.

(Signed.) RICHARD YATES, Commander-in-Chief

THOMAS S. MATHER, Adjutant General Illinois Militia.

VN Store

Back