The Civil War Day By Day Sesquicentennial Thread

no sweat, man, just trying to have a CW thread and a CW day by day thread for the 150'th anniversary. Both Johnston's were highly regarded in the pre war army.

April 19, 1861 - union forces clash with southern sympathetics in what is commonly called the baltimore riots. (Also given credit for being the first bloodshed of the oncoming civil war)
Posted via VolNation Mobile

April 20, 1861 - General Robert E. Lee resigns his commission with the United States Army. His love for his homestate of Virginia was greater than any in the union had counted on.

Prob not a good way of phrasing it, but this thread has caught my attention and making me do research lol. Love these Jtrain history threads

April 20, 1861 - General Robert E. Lee resigns his commission with the United States Army. His love for his homestate of Virginia was greater than any in the union had counted on.

Prob not a good way of phrasing it, but this thread has caught my attention and making me do research lol. Love these Jtrain history threads

Robert E. Lee's Resignation letter.

Arlington, Washington City P.O.
April 20, 1861

General:

Since my interview with you on the 18th instant I have felt that I ought not longer to retain my commission in the Army. I therefore tender my resignation, which I request you will recommend for acceptance.

It would have been presented at once, but for the struggle it has cost me to separate myself from a service to which I have devoted all the best years of my life & all the ability I possessed.

During the whole of that time, more than 30 years, I have experienced nothing but kindness from my superiors, & the most cordial friendship from my companions. To no one Genl have I been as much indebted as to yourself for uniform kindness & consideration, & it has always been my ardent desire to merit your approbation.

I shall carry with me to the grave the most grateful recollections of your kind consideration, & your name & fame will always be dear to me. Save in the defence of my native State, I never desire again to draw my sword.

Be pleased to accept my most earnest wishes for the continuance of your happiness & prosperity & believe me most truly yours

R. E. Lee

April 20, 1861

General:

Since my interview with you on the 18th instant I have felt that I ought not longer to retain my commission in the Army. I therefore tender my resignation, which I request you will recommend for acceptance.

It would have been presented at once, but for the struggle it has cost me to separate myself from a service to which I have devoted all the best years of my life & all the ability I possessed.

During the whole of that time, more than 30 years, I have experienced nothing but kindness from my superiors, & the most cordial friendship from my companions. To no one Genl have I been as much indebted as to yourself for uniform kindness & consideration, & it has always been my ardent desire to merit your approbation.

I shall carry with me to the grave the most grateful recollections of your kind consideration, & your name & fame will always be dear to me. Save in the defence of my native State, I never desire again to draw my sword.

Be pleased to accept my most earnest wishes for the continuance of your happiness & prosperity & believe me most truly yours

R. E. Lee

Unbelievable grace and integrity. I seriously don't have words to describe the honor that he possessed

April 20, 1861

General:

R. E. Lee

Forgive me, but which Genl is he writing this letter to?

Sunday, April 21 1861

Thomas J. Jackson was a professor at Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, Va. A devoutly religious man, his first concern for the cadets in his charge was to see that they attended chapel this Sunday morning. In the afternoon they turned to other matters and summoned stagecoaches. These they took to the nearest train station, as virtually the entire school was off to enlist for the defense of Virginia and the Confederacy.

Monday April 22, 1861 - Robert E. Lee is named commander of the Virginia Confederate forces

I just found this thread today. Great idea. I read every page to catch up. As has been said before, no spoilers please. This thread will make for a better 're-living' and understanding of the War if there are no posts of "future events." My favorite posts in this thread are the ones that shed the most light on what people were thinking as the events occurred.

As for people expecting a short war, that makes sense. They were being optimistic.

Monday April 22 1861

Nobody wants to pay for a navy in peacetime. Now Norfolk Navy Yard in Virginia was lost; the railroads south were useless, those North were cut at Baltimore and Harper’s Ferry. The Washington Navy Yard was essential. It was also running short of personnel. Today the commandant, Capt. Franklin Buchanan suffered a change of allegiance and went South. The Chief of Navy Ordnance, George Magruder, had a outbreak of pacifism and went to Canada for the duration. The entire yard was down to 150 men after the shuffling was done.

Monday April 22 1861

Nobody wants to pay for a navy in peacetime. Now Norfolk Navy Yard in Virginia was lost; the railroads south were useless, those North were cut at Baltimore and Harper’s Ferry. The Washington Navy Yard was essential. It was also running short of personnel. Today the commandant, Capt. Franklin Buchanan suffered a change of allegiance and went South. The Chief of Navy Ordnance, George Magruder, had a outbreak of pacifism and went to Canada for the duration. The entire yard was down to 150 men after the shuffling was done.

"Naval needs newly noted"

Definitely a "4-N" post. :good!:

Florida ratifies the Confederate Constitution with a vote of 50 to 0.

The Clarksburg (present-day West Virginia) Convention calls for an anti-secessionist convention to be held in May, 1861.

Maryland Governor Thomas Holliday Hicks calls a session of the Maryland legislature to consider secession.

From the Daily Virginian: “Recruits for the Cavalry – We are requested to say that Mr. Paul G. Cabell will be at Nelson Courthouse this week, Mr E.D. Christian at Appomattox and Mr. Thomas Whitehead at Amherst Court House for the purpose of receiving recruits for Capt. Radford’s Regiment of Cavalry. Let the patriotic people of these counties rally to the standard of their country and the defense of their homes.”

Apr 13, 1861

After a 33-hour bombardment by Confederate cannons, Union forces surrender Fort Sumter in South Carolina's Charleston Harbor. The first engagement of the war ended in Rebel victory.

The first engagement of the war was over, and the only casualty had been a Confederate horse. The Union force was allowed to leave for the north; before leaving, the soldiers fired a 100-gun salute. During the salute, one soldier was killed and another mortally wounded by a prematurely exploding cartridge. The Civil War had officially begun.

Shortly thereafter (exact dates escape me at the moment) Lincoln calls for 75K volunteers to stop the rebellion. This is actually what caused what would become the war. Many states in the deep south followed SC's lead and seceeded. Many border states were horrified that Lincoln had the nerve to ask them for volunteers to march on another state (there written replies to Lincoln are an intersting read) and told Lincoln to go to hell.

JTrainDavis,
What will the topic of your book be? What issues will it address?

Florida ratifies the Confederate Constitution with a vote of 50 to 0.

The Clarksburg (present-day West Virginia) Convention calls for an anti-secessionist convention to be held in May, 1861.

Maryland Governor Thomas Holliday Hicks calls a session of the Maryland legislature to consider secession.

From the Daily Virginian: “Recruits for the Cavalry – We are requested to say that Mr. Paul G. Cabell will be at Nelson Courthouse this week, Mr E.D. Christian at Appomattox and Mr. Thomas Whitehead at Amherst Court House for the purpose of receiving recruits for Capt. Radford’s Regiment of Cavalry. Let the patriotic people of these counties rally to the standard of their country and the defense of their homes.”

Apologies again for the lack of dates but Lincoln has any pro secession Maryland officials arrested.

Tuesday, April 23.
It is reported by arrivals from Baltimore at 6 o’clock this morning, that martial law was proclaimed, and all the citizens ordered in their houses.

All the places of amusement, &c., have been closed.

A gentleman who arrived from Baltimore this evening, leaving there at 9 o’clock this morning, states that when he left, the report was current in the hotels that news had reached there, via Annapolis, that Fort Pickens was captured with serious loss of life. It is only given as a rumor. He also says that Baltimore had been put under regular militia law when he left. Although strong guards were on duty, the city is quiet.

Wednesday, April 24.
A gentleman has arrived in this city who left Annapolis yesterday. He heard a report there that a negro insurrection had occurred in Anne Arundel Couuty. Gen. BUTLER, of Massachusetts, offered the services of the Eighth (Mass.) Regiment to subdue the insurrection.

Major AMES, of Massachusetts, had left.

The Seventh Regiment of New-York, under Col. LEFFERTS, were at Annapolis on Tuesday afternoon.

Gen. BUTLER was taking measures to have the rails relaid on the Annapolis Road. They had been carefully taken up by the Railroad Company.

No difficulty was apprehended in again opening the road to Washington

Thursday April 25, 1861 - in a daring nighttime operation Illinois troops steam from Alton to St. Louis and remove 10,000 muskets with the help of federal troops in the armory

Tuesday, April 23.
It is reported by arrivals from Baltimore at 6 o’clock this morning, that martial law was proclaimed, and all the citizens ordered in their houses.

All the places of amusement, &c., have been closed.

A gentleman who arrived from Baltimore this evening, leaving there at 9 o’clock this morning, states that when he left, the report was current in the hotels that news had reached there, via Annapolis, that Fort Pickens was captured with serious loss of life. It is only given as a rumor. He also says that Baltimore had been put under regular militia law when he left. Although strong guards were on duty, the city is quiet.

Tuesday, April 23 1861
WEST WATCHES

Although the political excitement was going on in the East, the western part of the country was not twiddling its collective thumbs over the issue of secession. Several Federal officers were arrested today in Texas, not as criminals but as prisoners of war. Jefferson Davis was frantically encouraging Gov. Claiborne Jackson of Missouri to first seize the Federal arsenal in St. Louis, then join the Confederacy.

Wednesday, April 24.
A gentleman has arrived in this city who left Annapolis yesterday. He heard a report there that a negro insurrection had occurred in Anne Arundel Couuty. Gen. BUTLER, of Massachusetts, offered the services of the Eighth (Mass.) Regiment to subdue the insurrection.

Major AMES, of Massachusetts, had left.

The Seventh Regiment of New-York, under Col. LEFFERTS, were at Annapolis on Tuesday afternoon.

Gen. BUTLER was taking measures to have the rails relaid on the Annapolis Road. They had been carefully taken up by the Railroad Company.

No difficulty was apprehended in again opening the road to Washington

Wednesday, April 24 1861
LONELY LINCOLN LAMENTS LAGGARDS

These were very nervous days in the capital of the United States. Virginia had seceded on one side; if Maryland did the same the capital was defenseless. A gunboat kept steam up at all times in case the President and Cabinet should need to flee. Only a few units had arrived from Pennsylvania and New York, and Lincoln spoke to them today: “I don’t believe there is any North,” he said morosely. “The Seventh Regiment is a myth...you are the only Northern realities.”

Thursday April 25, 1861 - in a daring nighttime operation Illinois troops steam from Alton to St. Louis and remove 10,000 muskets with the help of federal troops in the armory

Thursday April 25 1861
INSPIRED ILLINOISAN INSTIGATES INFILTRATION

Missouri was on the verge of secession, and St. Louis held one of the largest Federal arsenals west of the Appalachians. The Union needed those guns to equip the troops who would soon be flooding into Cairo. Captain Stokes, with a few soldiers, was given orders and a steamship and set forth. The party landed in the middle of the night and started hauling guns. They got more than 10,000 muskets and quite a few other stores and were gone before the secessionists knew what had happened.

Friday, April 26, 1861 - Georgia Gov. Joseph E. Brown orders all debts owed to Northerners repudiated.

Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston receives command of Virginia state forces defending Richmond.

The USS Commerce captures Confederate blockade runner Lancaster off Havre de Grace, Maryland.*

Confederate Secretary of the Navy Stephen R. Mallory proposes constructing new classes of steam-powered armored warships, to offset the Union's numerical advantage.

VN Store

Back