The Country of Sissies

If two boys had a beef with each other our principle would put us in gloves and headgear and let us wear ourselves out.

damn, you're old.

Boxing/fighting was fun but then you learn about CTE and you feel bad for the dudes, cousins, and brothers you wrecked, and you wonder what kind of damage you did to yourself.

There are probably better ways to raise boys to not be afraid of freedom than making them settle disputes with fistfights. Since reason is what will allow you or I to talk ourselves out of irrational fear, teach that to solve disputes.

Reactions: K-town Vol Fan
I was 3 years older than my next youngest brother, he still acts like it's a competition with everything.
One of my best moments was when my brother, who was once a golf asst. pro and got his amateur status back, lost in the championship flight in our club tournament. The man who beat him faced me in the next round, and I took him down. I was not going to let him beat both of us.

I remember playing “smear the queer” in the front yards all over my neighborhood. My first taste of political correctness was when we had to change the name to “kill the man with the ball.” Pretty sure we had more than a few mild concussions in those days.

damn, you're old.

Boxing/fighting was fun but then you learn about CTE and you feel bad for the dudes, cousins, and brothers you wrecked, and you wonder what kind of damage you did to yourself.

There are probably better ways to raise boys to not be afraid of freedom than making them settle disputes with fistfights. Since reason is what will allow you or I to talk ourselves out of irrational fear, teach that to solve disputes.

CTE has never crossed my mind from my concussions or those that I have given.

One of the reason people are so rude and disrespectful today is there is no painful repercussions for their actions. If kids were allowed to be kids and get into scraps while young we wouldn't have as many loudmouth sissies as we do today. People learn to reason and discuss civilly when they know the alternative hurts.

Did you go to the Mountain Fresh Grocery, near the church on Main Street in Highlands and eat? I have been there many times. Also, is the Back Porch still around in Destin? I used to go there back in the 70's and 80's. I haven't been to Destin in several years. Too crowded for me.

Back porch is awesome and still there. I am trying to convince my wife to let me get a condo at silver shells next door and every year she gets a little closer to saying yes.

I didnt eat at Fresh.

We hit the Kelwins and ate at the asian place near the liquor store but mainly stayed at the cabin and went hiking and swimming at bust your butt.

There used to be a little restaurant near the Ace hardware that had amazing grilled trout but it seems to be gone and I cant remember the name.

I love the highlands but that drive up from Franklin still scares my wife as you go around the blind curve. When I was a kid that guard rail wasn't even there. Wife still screams.

One of my best moments was when my brother, who was once a golf asst. pro and got his amateur status back, lost in the championship flight in our club tournament. The man who beat him faced me in the next round, and I took him down. I was not going to let him beat both of us.

My brother was much better at basketball than I was, I played like it was football without pads and when he made all region his senior year he wrote me the only letter he has ever written me.

Reactions: RavinDave

One of the reason people are so rude and disrespectful today is there is no painful repercussions for their actions. If kids were allowed to be kids and get into scraps while young we wouldn't have as many loudmouth sissies as we do today. People learn to reason and discuss civilly when they know the alternative hurts.

Guess you guys didn't hit hard?

Hell, we played tackle football with no pads or helmets up until we were teenagers, and even on 2 different occasions while at U.T. When we did it at U.T., it was in the mud and slop, so less chance of getting hurt too bad. When I played baseball, we would slide into a base with our cleats up. We threw at their foreheads when I played second, when they tried to break up a double play. The catcher would always block the plate, and you would try to run over them. Of course, the catcher was usually the stockiest guy on the team, and they weren't easy to run over. I have been hit in the arm, the legs, the head, the back, the elbow, and pretty much everywhere while batting. I have also hit batters about everywhere when I pitched.

Yeah that's it.

I grew up when you got your bell rung you had smelling salts, drank some water and walked it off.
I didn't play organized football, but that is exactly what they did. After the smelling salts, the coaches would ask the player what his name was and where he was , and put him back in if he answered correctly.

Reactions: hog88
Back porch is awesome and still there. I am trying to convince my wife to let me get a condo at silver shells next door and every year she gets a little closer to saying yes.

I didnt eat at Fresh.

We hit the Kelwins and ate at the asian place near the liquor store but mainly stayed at the cabin and went hiking and swimming at bust your butt.

There used to be a little restaurant near the Ace hardware that had amazing grilled trout but it seems to be gone and I cant remember the name.

I love the highlands but that drive up from Franklin still scares my wife as you go around the blind curve. When I was a kid that guard rail wasn't even there. Wife still screams.
That is a scary drive. I meet a friend of mine who lives in Atlanta in either Franklin or Highlands, because it is a halfway point for us. When we meet at Franklin, we usually eat at Cafe REL in the Hot Spot, and drive up to Highlands. He used to live in Highlands, but moved back to Atlanta. I quit Destin years ago, and bought a place on Cape San Blas. No high rises and very few people.

Reactions: NEO
Yeah that's it.

I grew up when you got your bell rung you had smelling salts, drank some water and walked it off.

We did that too. Doesn't have anything to do with the point. If you hit hard, you're at risk. Especially if you were tough enough to get up for more beating. There is definitely one fight I wish I could have back. My little brother boxed his huge buddy and my brother wouldn't quit. It's so stupid, in hindsight.

I was 3 years older than my next youngest brother, he still acts like it's a competition with everything.
I already posted a couple weeks ago, how my older brother by 3 years put me up to box one of the twins on our street the first year we lived in Tennessee. I was 7 and the kid was 8 and after kicking my azz good he and his brother went on to local fame as Golden Gloves champions in Knoxville.

Reactions: 1972 Grad
I remember playing “smear the queer” in the front yards all over my neighborhood. My first taste of political correctness was when we had to change the name to “kill the man with the ball.” Pretty sure we had more than a few mild concussions in those days.
I've had 3 concussions, one with loss of consciousness... one with 2 week memory loss. It explains allot.

Hell, we played tackle football with no pads or helmets up until we were teenagers, and even on 2 different occasions while at U.T. When we did it at U.T., it was in the mud and slop, so less chance of getting hurt too bad. When I played baseball, we would slide into a base with our cleats up. We threw at their foreheads when I played second, when they tried to break up a double play. The catcher would always block the plate, and you would try to run over them. Of course, the catcher was usually the stockiest guy on the team, and they weren't easy to run over. I have been hit in the arm, the legs, the head, the back, the elbow, and pretty much everywhere while batting. I have also hit batters about everywhere when I pitched.
In fairness, when you played football, pads and helmets didn’t even exist yet.

Reactions: 1972 Grad
Too lazy to shave their face but they do shave their nut sack.

ef00a9a17b369f660a8586007f20a5fedb2514c452105fad1181f337bf3ff3a7.jpg

I didn't play organized football, but that is exactly what they did. After the smelling salts, the coaches would ask the player what his name was and where he was , and put him back in if he answered correctly.

What’s that joke?

Coach - “what’s your name, son?”

Player - “Saturday!”

VN Store

Back