The crash is gonna be bad

.... I will look for team improvement from game to game, player improvement from game to game, and energy and enthusiasm from the entire team until the game is over. I'm looking for consistent improvement and good coaching. It has been a long time since we have been able to say our players have been coached up. If this happens, we should feel good about the year because we know the team we have and the incoming freshman will be Giving Their All For Tennessee. We should pack the stadium for every game. If everything goes right, we will improve throughout the year and win one that no one gave us a chance to win. If this turns out to be more than one, we should be on Cloud 9. The best we can really hope for is to be rewarded at the end of the season with a bowl. Like you, I accepted Year Zero but was devastated by the lack of improvement of Year Three, demoralized by the throwing in of the coaching towel against Mizzou, and sickened by what I witnessed in Music City. I expect Team 117 to Never Say Die. That's all we can ask.

All of this and ESPECIALLY the bolded part!

I am so high on Tennessee Football right now I don't know what to do with myself.

I am a total amateur at following recruiting. So maybe what I think I'm seeing isn't really happening. Feel free to bring me back down to earth.

I am in love with Team 117. I want these young men to see every dream they have of Tennessee be a reality this year. J Smith, B Mo, Tiny, AJ, Justin and Nate, Palardy, hell all of them that decided to don the orange and play in the most beautiful setting ever created for college football.

Coach Jones you better not let me down. If we crash, it's gonna hurt. And it's gonna hurt bad.

Just understand, after many false starts, we are finally on our way. It's gonna be a fun ride.

Go Vols!!

I've had my expectations built up every year over the last few years only to have them dashed. What mattered the most for me wasn't the losses, it was the way the team lost. The UCLA game where we almost literally killed their QB and lost. Florida last year where it was our game to lose. Missouri (which was the final straw for me.)

For me, I don't care too much about the record as long as it's in the 5-7 to 7-5 range (obviously I'd be ecstatic with anything better.) What I do care about is solid, fundamental football being played week in and week out. I'd love to have a solid running game where we can convert a 3rd and 3 reliably. I'd love for some solid open field tackling. I'd love to cut down on the crazy number of 50+ yard plays.

(I also wouldn't mind some decent play calling.)

If we see the above, I'll count the season as a success despite the win/loss record.

I am so high on Tennessee Football right now I don't know what to do with myself.

I am a total amateur at following recruiting. So maybe what I think I'm seeing isn't really happening. Feel free to bring me back down to earth.

I am in love with Team 117. I want these young men to see every dream they have of Tennessee be a reality this year. J Smith, B Mo, Tiny, AJ, Justin and Nate, Palardy, hell all of them that decided to don the orange and play in the most beautiful setting ever created for college football.

Coach Jones you better not let me down. If we crash, it's gonna hurt. And it's gonna hurt bad.

Damn fine post...but that's just my opinion.

This site needs more NegaVols.

You can count on me to pump the brakes. :)

I'm all for being a homer and being high on the new guy, but let's be honest. If you get disappointed by anything that happens in year 1 of a new coach after 3 consecutive losing seasons . . . it's your fault.

Reactions: 1 person

I'm sorry, but if you get disappointed by anything that happens in year 1 of a new coach after 3 consecutive losing seasons . . . it's your fault.

I guess. I've already said I don't care as much as bout W vs L as I do what happens during the games.

There's just such a massive flood of positives happening it's hard to not feel good about where we are as of today.

I guess. I've already said I don't care as much as bout W vs L as I do what happens during the games.

There's just such a massive flood of positives happening it's hard to not feel good about where we are as of today.

Oh, I agree. Butch has done it about as well as we ever could've hoped so far.

th

GO VOLS..
GO BIG ORANGE ...:rock:

I think we have a chance to win every game this year. I won't be super disappointed if we go 6 - 6, but I'm going to watch every game with the expectation that we will compete with a chance to win.

Whats the point of watching and expecting to lose? I guarantee you CBJ isn't expecting a 6-6 season. He believes that this team can win each game and I'm with him.

Our guys might not be as talented as bama ga fla etc, but talent isnt everything. Weirder things than potentially going 10-2 this year have happened (1998 arkansas game).

awesome priorities here.

laugh at academics but boast about facilities, tradition and a stadium. cause thats gonna get you far in lie.

It's funny because you're a fan of Ohio.....a school that can only dream.

Get on our level, then we can talk. And by talk...I mean talk shizzzz

I think we have a chance to win every game this year. I won't be super disappointed if we go 6 - 6, but I'm going to watch every game with the expectation that we will compete with a chance to win.

Whats the point of watching and expecting to lose? I guarantee you CBJ isn't expecting a 6-6 season. He believes that this team can win each game and I'm with him.

Our guys might not be as talented as bama ga fla etc, but talent isnt everything. Weirder things than potentially going 10-2 this year have happened (1998 arkansas game).

Me. Every game, every year. As much as I try to "temper expectations" I am an emotional train wreck and a dick to be around when we lose. Oh well, I'll enjoy the ride back to the top! GBO!

Actually, if we go 10-2, that might qualify as the weirdest thing to happen.

Reactions: 4 people
I've been thinking this for months now. I understand after the Dooley era that people are grasping at anything they can to feel excited about UT football, but good feelings ultimately lead to greater expectations, and I feel at this point it's a disservice to Jones to heap all those expectations on him. He's been handed a team with a strong offensive line, but no QB, no playmakers at the skill positions and one of the worst defenses in the history of organized football. There's literally no reason IMO for people to think this team should win any more than 6 games, yet you've got people posting on this website that they think UT can win 8-9 games.

As of today, as best I can tell, Jones has hardly set a foot wrong since arriving in Knoxville, yet I'm afraid we're still going to end up with pissed off fans come November, not because Jones did anything wrong, but because he failed to meet the absurd expectations that spiraled out of control when he did all the off the field stuff right during the offseason. He's handled everything within his control masterfully so far, but he has basically no control over the roster full of sub-SEC talent that he'll be going into games with this year, and we'll just have to see how he does with that.
Great post!100% dead on!

I've been thinking this for months now. I understand after the Dooley era that people are grasping at anything they can to feel excited about UT football, but good feelings ultimately lead to greater expectations, and I feel at this point it's a disservice to Jones to heap all those expectations on him. He's been handed a team with a strong offensive line, but no QB, no playmakers at the skill positions and one of the worst defenses in the history of organized football. There's literally no reason IMO for people to think this team should win any more than 6 games, yet you've got people posting on this website that they think UT can win 8-9 games.

As of today, as best I can tell, Jones has hardly set a foot wrong since arriving in Knoxville, yet I'm afraid we're still going to end up with pissed off fans come November, not because Jones did anything wrong, but because he failed to meet the absurd expectations that spiraled out of control when he did all the off the field stuff right during the offseason. He's handled everything within his control masterfully so far, but he has basically no control over the roster full of sub-SEC talent that he'll be going into games with this year, and we'll just have to see how he does with that.

CBJ would disagree with the bold part above. If coach tells them "we can't win no more than 6 games", then guess what...they will not. Coach not going to say guys "take the day off on the "supposedly" non winnable games". Heck don't even dress out "we can't win". That's why we play the games. Coach is going to instill confidence, work ethic, never give up attitude. That alone (coaching) would have won 2-3 more games last year. All Vol fans have to realize with the 2 horrific coaches we had last year (Dooley & Sal) we still could've ended up 9-3 with a little luck. We would have if we had the coaches we have now. I expect 7-5 at worst. 8 or 9 wins is possible, or like another poster said, we can win them all. Do I expect that? No! But I do expect to see a much improved defense, play til the end, improvement week in & week out. :eek:k:

CBJ would disagree with the bold part above. If coach tells them "we can't win no more than 6 games", then guess what...they will not. Coach not going to say guys "take the day off on the "supposedly" non winnable games". Heck don't even dress out "we can't win". That's why we play the games. Coach is going to instill confidence, work ethic, never give up attitude. That alone (coaching) would have won 2-3 more games last year. All Vol fans have to realize with the 2 horrific coaches we had last year (Dooley & Sal) we still could've ended up 9-3 with a little luck. We would have if we had the coaches we have now. I expect 7-5 at worst. 8 or 9 wins is possible, or like another poster said, we can win them all. Do I expect that? No! But I do expect to see a much improved defense, play til the end, improvement week in & week out. :eek:k:
I expect 6... But 8 is VERY possible. AP,WKU, S. Bama, UK, Mizz, Aub, wins. Should wins...Vandy. Toss up... S. Caro, UGA , Probably losses...Ore, Fl, Bama. JMO

To heck with that back down to earth stuff. I'm gonna enjoy every minute of this.

I havent even started drinking the ole kool-aid, yet, but right now I feel like we're gonna plow into this season like a Big Orange bulldozer.

I'm all for being a homer and being high on the new guy, but let's be honest. If you get disappointed by anything that happens in year 1 of a new coach after 3 consecutive losing seasons . . . it's your fault.

Last three...heck you can throw in the last 5. Doesnt change the fact I'm gonna be disapointed with every loss and overjoyed with every win.

I'm thinking our defense will keep us in a few games this year that we shouldnt be in. If only we can get production out of some wrs and a qb I think is what is keeping me from going gungho about this team. What I'm really excited about is seeing Butch coach these men up that we have. Anywho ill still love my vols no matter what happens.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm thinking our defense will keep us in a few games this year that we shouldnt be in. If only we can get production out of some wrs and a qb I think is what is keeping me from going gungho about this team. What I'm really excited about is seeing Butch coach these men up that we have. Anywho ill still love my vols no matter what happens.

Welcome to VN Oasis.

Pretty good first post.

VN Store

Back