The crash is gonna be bad

Temper your expectation. Butch is taking what is left of Kitten and Dooleys recruiting classes plus one he managed to cobble together and building on that. We have had talent come through the door but the development was not consistent due to coaching turn over. This year will be OK at best and downright maddening at worst. We should have no false expectation about SEC championships this year but we can hope for a stolen win or two. We may not yet be kings but we can be king makers.

According to chemistry alcohol is a solution lol

Wrong.

3rt6dq.jpg

SIAP

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Recruiting has been outstanding but unfortunately those boys cant help us until 2014. CBJ has to work with what he has this season. Won't be a "crash" if the expectations are right. I think we should expect a 7 win season. Anything better will be outstanding. If the team doesn't reach a bowl game - yes that will be a crash.

I say 8 wins are my expectations. If A&M lost 2 now reason we can hang up 4 losses. U can see just by reading this team believes in this staff. Something they never have before. When your seniors do t want to graduate because they want to stay with Butch and they express it openly well that says enough for me. And I truly believe we have the talent. Sure there are wholes but we have talent. K think we win 8 and a bowl game. And I want that bad for these kids. They been through so much they deserve it

Our two biggest question marks going into this season is our quarterback situation and our secondary. If by some miracle our QB can keep us in games and not LOSE us games by giving the ball away and if the secondary can not give up big plays on a consistent basis we could very well have a respectable season that finds us bowling at the end of the year. I'm thinking 7-5 which will keep the great recruiting class together. I think if we miss a bowl game this year our recruiting class is going to slowly fall apart. I think we'd keep enough guys to finish with a top 15 class but it wouldn't be near what it is now.

I am so high on Tennessee Football right now I don't know what to do with myself.

I am a total amateur at following recruiting. So maybe what I think I'm seeing isn't really happening. Feel free to bring me back down to earth.

I am in love with Team 117. I want these young men to see every dream they have of Tennessee be a reality this year. J Smith, B Mo, Tiny, AJ, Justin and Nate, Palardy, hell all of them that decided to don the orange and play in the most beautiful setting ever created for college football.

Coach Jones you better not let me down. If we crash, it's gonna hurt. And it's gonna hurt bad.

GOD Bless you Vollygirl. Love your passion. Keep the faith. What you're/we're witnessing right now is a passionate, competent Coaching professional and his staff beginning to turn a once great, once proud nationally relevant program around.

This year, enjoy the wins and low level bowl game, don't sweat the losses too much, notice and be thankful for the great effort and better brand of football our Vols play this year and know its just the beginning....

And be as excited as you can possibly be for our 2014 legacies and the amazing recruiting class they apart of and helping put together... it's very much for real!

Butch will give us the swagger that kiffin did. I'll never forget the USCe game...black jerseys..the players jumping up and down at the end of the 3rd qtr. Now Butch doesn't sell the snakeoil that the jerk did but the players have bought in and will play with way more emotion for CBJ than they ever did for CDD. With any QB play at all we COULD finish 2nd or 3rd in East.

The problem is when we go 6 and 6 if the fans will still be fired up i will, the season of 2015 is the season when the BIG ORANGE will be kicking azz on a week to week thing threw the season.

I've been thinking this for months now. I understand after the Dooley era that people are grasping at anything they can to feel excited about UT football, but good feelings ultimately lead to greater expectations, and I feel at this point it's a disservice to Jones to heap all those expectations on him. He's been handed a team with a strong offensive line, but no QB, no playmakers at the skill positions and one of the worst defenses in the history of organized football. There's literally no reason IMO for people to think this team should win any more than 6 games, yet you've got people posting on this website that they think UT can win 8-9 games.

As of today, as best I can tell, Jones has hardly set a foot wrong since arriving in Knoxville, yet I'm afraid we're still going to end up with pissed off fans come November, not because Jones did anything wrong, but because he failed to meet the absurd expectations that spiraled out of control when he did all the off the field stuff right during the offseason. He's handled everything within his control masterfully so far, but he has basically no control over the roster full of sub-SEC talent that he'll be going into games with this year, and we'll just have to see how he does with that.

This.

I remember 3 years ago when our o-line was a bunch of freshmen and halfway into the season a bunch of intellect-impaired "fans" were beside themselves because the staff hadn't "coached 'em up" - like 18 year-old true freshman boys can compete against 22-23 year olds redshirt juniors and seniors after a few games. Thought at the time was the same fans would have had the same expectation if the oline had been a bunch of 8th graders. Sure every fan base has this problem.

I hope for the best and expect the worst with respect to fan support. But am very encouraged with pretty much everything CBJ has done thusfar.

The fact is this year is a HUGE unknown. New QB, WRs, and coaches make this year a big question mark. We could win 4 games. We could win 7. I think 6 is the sweet spot.In my opinion we would be fortunate to win anymore than that.

Butch will give us the swagger that kiffin did. I'll never forget the USCe game...black jerseys..the players jumping up and down at the end of the 3rd qtr. Now Butch doesn't sell the snakeoil that the jerk did but the players have bought in and will play with way more emotion for CBJ than they ever did for CDD. With any QB play at all we COULD finish 2nd or 3rd in East.

People dismiss a strong run game. If we can assble a sort of passing game and have a great run inn back this year no reason we can't compete with everyone.... we will have to pound the ball like we haven't in 5 years but its possible if they pick up scheme we will give teams fits

Recruiting has been outstanding but unfortunately those boys cant help us until 2014. CBJ has to work with what he has this season. Won't be a "crash" if the expectations are right. I think we should expect a 7 win season. Anything better will be outstanding. If the team doesn't reach a bowl game - yes that will be a crash.

I'll take 6 with this bunch.

As of today, as best I can tell, Jones has hardly set a foot wrong since arriving in Knoxville, yet I'm afraid we're still going to end up with pissed off fans come November, not because Jones did anything wrong, but because he failed to meet the absurd expectations that spiraled out of control when he did all the off the field stuff right during the offseason. He's handled everything within his control masterfully so far, but he has basically no control over the roster full of sub-SEC talent that he'll be going into games with this year, and we'll just have to see how he does with that.

Ya know, that's some good points there. It is interesting to see how a "rebuilding coach" will handle his new job for the 6-9 mos of off-season. I always remember how Holtz did it at USC. The guy poopooed any hope with the middle school talent he had. I think they fulfilled the prophecy and went winless that 1st year. But the guy recruited pretty well and played the heck out of rookies etc. He came back and went like 8-4 / 9-3 the next season iirc.
The point I'm trying to make is that CBJ is pumping up UT at every turn in this offseason, getting the bandwagon rolling, getting the current players jacked about the new direction etc. The problem is as you alluded to. Now, he may have created unrealistic expectations for 13' that could bite him in the seat meat.
The average fan is not really that in tune, and kind of by osmosis of sorts, thinks that seasoned verterans Jalen Hurd, TKjr, and Dillon Bates are going to be busting heads on the field this fall. We all know it's not true, but uncharacteristically getting out front in recruiting early could make Vol fans think help is not "on the way", but "already here".
As they say "if you take a flop eared mule to the Kentucky Derby, it doesn't matter how dressed up you make him look. When the bell rings and gates open, then reality is going to set in.
OTOH, if the new coach preaches despair and the current players "buy in", then we are doomed for a USC type season. CBJ is on a shorter leash at UT, then Holtz was at USC.
I have not heard Jones proclaim the team 117 as anything special yet. All he talks about is the process, which is wise IMO. But, his enthusiasm is contagious and can make fans drunk.
IMO, we have better talent right now than we saw play last year. Obviously defensive scheme, teaching, and leadership were horrific last year. I'm not sure that the Ravens D could have been top 50 nationwide with Sal and that bunch. Offensively, I never liked that sprint draw scheme and CJCs gunslinger approach. Don't get me wrong Chaney knows what he's doing and put up big #s last year. But, I would say that plenty of HS coaches could have put up good numbers with our OL and skill players.
I feel like our leadership has improved, our defensive scheme better fits our talent/mindset (just see JS beaming at media days @ it), and our offensive coaching and scheme is proven to work, and will be as different as could possibly be from last year. I believe that we will be at least 2 games better in 13' because of it.

awesome priorities here.

laugh at academics but boast about facilities, tradition and a stadium. cause thats gonna get you far in lie.

Bobcats, Bobcats??? Hmmmm.....I believe that must mean you are a fan of the Giles County Bobcats!!! If you mean "Ohio" you'd probably be better off being a Giles County fan....Find another place to try to get fans of a real team upset... - might be helpful first to learn how to spell.....

That is when the top came off the quart jar... Time for some serious pain killer.

I know 40yd Dash times are not the be all end all for a football player. But watching #10 (a cornerback) get left in the dust by a TE/H-back was about as clear of a representation of speed as you'll see. Our 2 corners clocked 4.7+ in Pro-Day workouts after last year.
I don't drink, but I'm sure glad your Ball-Mason jar wasn't sitting around the house after that play.

I am so high on Tennessee Football right now I don't know what to do with myself.

I am a total amateur at following recruiting. So maybe what I think I'm seeing isn't really happening. Feel free to bring me back down to earth.

I am in love with Team 117. I want these young men to see every dream they have of Tennessee be a reality this year. J Smith, B Mo, Tiny, AJ, Justin and Nate, Palardy, hell all of them that decided to don the orange and play in the most beautiful setting ever created for college football.

Coach Jones you better not let me down. If we crash, it's gonna hurt. And it's gonna hurt bad.

Butch knows.....Shame you don't....DA....:birgits_giggle:

If we do not reach a bowl game how will it be a crash? We lost all three top play makers from last year. Bray, Patterson, Hunter. So we will have a young QB. Probaly a freshman. Our first three road games is at Oregon. Florida, Alabama. Lot to put on a young QB. Just wish Butch would of got here sooner.

VN Store

Back