The Dugout - General Topics, Chat, Random Photos and Memes.......No Politics

I have never heard of such a thing. Nope, it's on a local community swim team.
If it’s still around, we competed in the same circuit with the other local community swim teams, we trained at the aquatic center on campus. Kids that had parents working at UT were on the team. I swam on the team from age 8 to 16.

IMG_9077.jpeg

Cell service is still real spotty. Only one spot at the house with service.
No power, cell or 5G. Neighborhood looks like a bomb went off. 30 years in Houston. Many big storms. I've never seen wind damage like this. Fortunately flooding was minimal.

Prognosticators missed this one big time.

If it’s still around, we competed in the same circuit with the other local community swim teams, we trained at the aquatic center on campus. Kids that had parents working at UT were on the team. I swam on the team from age 8 to 16.

View attachment 657398
You didn't circle yourself.

The wife signed the kids up for summer swim team, these meets are 4.5 hours long! This is a cult!
As a former college swimmer, it is very much like a cult when you get serious with it! If the meet was just swimming and no diving then consider yourself blessed.

In highschool alone we had about 15 hours in the water a week, not including meets, and another 5 to 8 hours of drylands/weights depending on the week. There were two seasons a year (long course and short course) and we got two weeks off between each season, so 4 weeks off total a year. It is definitely a commitment, but worth it if they are into it. I always recommend summer league first to newcomers and you can go from there. Especially at a young age. And it is a great base/crosstraining for so many other sports due to increased resistance with low impact, anaerobic capacity training, and increasing your VO2 max. All of which can help other sport training.

Side note: TN is actually one of the stronger states for swimming in the country, at least when I was still competing slightly over a decade ago.

Last edited:
As a former college swimmer, it is very much like a cult when you get serious with it! If the meet was just swimming and no diving then consider yourself blessed.

In highschool alone we had about 15 hours in the water a week, not including meets, and another 5 to 8 hours of drylands/weights depending on the week. There were two seasons a year (long course and short course) and we got two weeks off between each season, so 4 weeks off total a year. It is definitely a commitment, but worth it if they are into it. I always recommend summer league first to newcomers and you can go from there. Especially at a young age. And it is a great base/constraining for so many other sports due to increased resistance with low impact, anaerobic capacity training, and increasing your VO2 max. All of which can help other sport training.

Side note: TN is actually one of the stronger states for swimming in the country, at least when I was still competing slightly over a decade ago.

Haha, that’s pretty intense! My kids are having fun swimming and we’ll see where it leads. Thanks for the info!

View attachment 657398

@Volprofch05 looks like u\it’s still around

View attachment 657404

Thanks for the info and we’ll look into it! It’s a little far for us to drive to campus, but if it matches up with work it could work out well.

View attachment 657398
The building remains, but it is no longer the Faculty Club. The pool was paved over probably 15 or so years ago, and there’s parking on top of it as well as the old tennis courts 🙄 I remember many meals there on Sundays after church with my grandparents. I also recognized four people real quick in that swim team photo.

There has been a big addition to the where the original entrance by the columns is now enclosed.

The building remains, but it is no longer the Faculty Club. The pool was paved over probably 15 or so years ago, and there’s parking on top of it as well as the old tennis courts 🙄 I remember many meals there on Sundays after church with my grandparents. I also recognized four people real quick in that swim team photo.

There has been a big addition to the where the original entrance by the columns is now enclosed.
We usually practiced at the aquatic center on campus, we swam both indoors and outdoors. Occasionally we would practice at the faculty club, but that’s where I basically lived all summer long, sad it’s no longer there anymore.

No power, cell or 5G. Neighborhood looks like a bomb went off. 30 years in Houston. Many big storms. I've never seen wind damage like this. Fortunately flooding was minimal.

Prognosticators missed this one big time.
I think quite a bit can be attributed to maturity of trees in the neighborhoods. …the poor bastards finally gave up! I’ve seen quite a few with limited root base give up the ghost. Deep root feeding is a real thingie.

What round you think Ensley was projected in MLB draft?
53 (down 4)- Dylan Dreiling OF
Dreiling makes excellent swing decisions and hits the ball hard enough for 55 power and what should be strong averages on contact, making up for his lack of speed or bigger power. He’s got a big stride to get more power from his lower half, so there could be an adjustment coming, as he’ll show power to almost all fields, but his hands can lag a little so his swing may not be as efficient as it could be. He’s a disciplined hitter who led the national champion Vols in walks and only trailed Christian Moore in homers. He’s a corner outfielder, probably staying in right, so there’s a higher bar for his bat to clear. His main deficiency at the plate is the lack of a two-strike approach, as he doesn’t whiff or chase much at all until he gets to two strikes, when he expands the zone too much and loses the contact skill he shows earlier in counts. I think he’s a strong regular with the potential to be more in an organization that can help him stay disciplined in those pitchers’ counts.
From the Keith Law thread…

I’d say DD is a good comp for Ensley next year. Ensley wasn’t in the top hundred. But I’m guessing he felt he could improve his stock.

VN Store

Back