The Foreign Trade Thread

Which is why—-
A: Trump is a Democrat.
B:why it is funny watching the left suddenly be for free trade.

To be fair, the left has never had a definitive position on trade that I know of. Their position usually seems to be based on partisanship

He could have been, but he's not. Weird that the GOP embraced him as they have. They'll regret it.

He was until he decided to run for president. It isn’t like people should be embarrassed by him being a Democrat but Trump was definitely one until it was in his interest not to be. Being a Republican allowed him to not have to face Clinton in the primary.

Also I was off on Dems being for tariffs until Trump. Both parties are for protectionism for the most part.

Who could have imagined that faced with higher costs and uncertain trade policy, U.S. companies might just say, "Screw it" and move to China?

Who could have imagined that faced with higher costs and uncertain trade policy, U.S. companies might just say, "Screw it" and move to China?

It makes sense to build cars where they'll be used. The Germans and Japanese build their cars in the US. Glad that GM is looking at having a footprint in China. Their profits will be exported to the US.

It makes sense to build cars where they'll be used. The Germans and Japanese build their cars in the US. Glad that GM is looking at having a footprint in China. Their profits will be exported to the US.

It certainly makes sense because of protectionism, not necessatily because of natural market forces.

Your mental gymnastics are astonishing

It certainly makes sense because of protectionism, not necessatily because of natural market forces.

Your mental gymnastics are astonishing

It makes sense to build 3,000 pound objects close to the market they're going to be sold in and near the materials and direct labor that go into the production process. The problem occurs when they're built there and shipped here. GM vehicles made in China and shipped to the US should be taxed like a mofo.

Reactions: 0nelilreb
It makes sense to build 3,000 pound objects close to the market they're going to be sold in and near the materials and direct labor that go into the production process. The problem occurs when they're built there and shipped here. GM vehicles made in China and shipped to the US should be taxed like a mofo.

Do you think it makes sense to build the same car in two places? I don't, unless there are non-market forces at work. I can't believe that you would save more on shipping than you would on production economies of scale.

If the Ford Ranger sells like crazy in China and modestly here, then you make the Ford Ranger in China and ship it here. It doesn't make sense to make it in both places unless there are government rules and taxes to avoid.

Reactions: midnight orange

By that logic it would even be better to build cars in Tennessee for Tennessean’s. We would have to build greenhouses for rubber, raise cattle for the tannery, bring in engineers and programmers for he engines and navigation systems, find a way to mine aluminum and other elements for the steel, etc.

By that logic it would even be better to build cars in Tennessee for Tennessean’s. We would have to build greenhouses for rubber, raise cattle for the tannery, bring in engineers and programmers for he engines and navigation systems, find a way to mine aluminum and other elements for the steel, etc.

You stretched that one out like a rubber band didn’t you . That went from making them in country vs China to state by state because somebody in Tennessee wanted to buy a volt .

You stretched that one out like a rubber band didn’t you . That went from making them in country vs China to state by state because somebody in Tennessee wanted to buy a volt .

Yes I did. The statement was that it is better to build a 3000 lb car close to the market in which it’s sold. If that’s true, then it holds that it would be even better to build a car in Tennessee for Tennesseans as opposed to Detroit.

Yes I did. The statement was that it is better to build a 3000 lb car close to the market in which it’s sold. If that’s true, then it holds that it would be even better to build a car in Tennessee for Tennesseans as opposed to Detroit.

Better yet, the Fed tells CA and NY to kick rocks and manufactures are no longer required to build to their standards.

Especially since the .gov has taxed the US shipping industry out of existence.

Reactions: midnight orange
Better yet, the Fed tells CA and NY to kick rocks and manufactures are no longer required to build to their standards.

I would like to see the feds get out of the auto business altogether. What you stated might make a good commerce clause case though.

Do you think it makes sense to build the same car in two places? I don't, unless there are non-market forces at work. I can't believe that you would save more on shipping than you would on production economies of scale.

If the Ford Ranger sells like crazy in China and modestly here, then you make the Ford Ranger in China and ship it here. It doesn't make sense to make it in both places unless there are government rules and taxes to avoid.
They have rooms full of accountants with micrometers and super computer algorithms that look at that every day. If it costs $.01 more to ship the cars than to build them here, they will build them where they will be sold. It is business. Nothing more.

Reactions: 1972 Grad
You need a new schtick. Your "central planning is hard" quip got old a few months back.

I'm sure you loved this schtick the first time, and then it got old, right? No, it was "old" the first time because you don't like facing the reality that he is a big government, crony capitalist, central planner who is neck deep in the swamp.

I'm sure you loved this schtick the first time, and then it got old, right? No, it was "old" the first time because you don't like facing the reality that he is a big government, crony capitalist, central planner who is neck deep in the swamp.
yeah that's it. Damn you're good.

VN Store

Back