The Gardening Thread

This post isn’t about gardening, but I figured it could go here anyway. Traveling back to Knoxville from Granite Quarry, NC giving the grandparents a chance to see their great grandchild. Stopped in Asheville for lunch at the Early Girl Eatery. Pretty good place with great cinnamon biscuits and GF fried chicken. @VolNExile you live around here, right? Hello, if you do!
one of my faves when i lived there. get there early, pun intended, lines are out the door

Reactions: VolNExile
First year my peach tree has produced and hung onto fruit. They’ve started dropping in this recent dry spell and the birds are starting to visit. Any suggestions on a method to ripen if you need to pick them while still a bit firm? TIA

First year my peach tree has produced and hung onto fruit. They’ve started dropping in this recent dry spell and the birds are starting to visit. Any suggestions on a method to ripen if you need to pick them while still a bit firm? TIA
I gave up on peaches about 30-35 years ago. Too many problems after the first year. I didn't believe in spraying them.
Something to scare the birds away or netting to keep them away?

Reactions: walkenvol
Letting them sit out is only real way. When you pass thru South Ga and buy a case of real tree ripened peaches, they are picked, cased, and put in the coolers a little early. When you buy a case, they're not quite ready. Was told to give them 4-6 days at room temp and they'd be perfect. And they were. There are peaches. And there are GA peaches.

Letting them sit out is only real way. When you pass thru South Ga and buy a case of real tree ripened peaches, they are picked, cased, and put in the coolers a little early. When you buy a case, they're not quite ready. Was told to give them 4-6 days at room temp and they'd be perfect. And they were. There are peaches. And there are GA peaches.
OTOH, South Carolina produces more peaches than GA. CA produces more than both states combined.
Folks from SC think their peaches are the best.

We have got tomato plants that are out of control huge, but we do not get ripe tomatoes. They stay green and rot unless we pick them green and bring them inside. We started these things in an indoor hydroponic thingy and then put them outside once they were about 6 inches tall.

The jalapeno plant is producing well and the serrano is also.

We have got tomato plants that are out of control huge, but we do not get ripe tomatoes. They stay green and rot unless we pick them green and bring them inside. We started these things in an indoor hydroponic thingy and then put them outside once they were about 6 inches tall.

The jalapeno plant is producing well and the serrano is also.
Save your eggshells (add them to your compost if you compost), crush them, add it to your garden soil. At this time, you could add pelletized lime. Check soil moisture levels and try to keep them consistent, not overwatering or under watering. Good luck.

OK. It's now August. How has everyone's gardens gone. Mixed results for me this year. Looked fantastic everywhere early on, but some things just didn't go. I'm sure my maters got all fussy with the back and forth between 105 degree heat indexes and lack of rain to mid-80's wet weather. Just so-so on the maters. Good enough to enjoy fresh eating. We got a organic "farm" down the road for veggies if needed. I'm gonna re-plensih my seed supply this winter for next year. Some of my packs going on 3-4 years old. Also gonna move away from trying so many different heirlooms and go with a smaller selection of varieties and plant more than one of each. Need to tailor my picks more toward heat varieties.

Putting up a run of pickles. So got some extra cukes to supplement.

I also got vine ripe Romas for $1 a pound for some canning since my canner plant was one of the ones that broke off (one of my learned lessons on string trellising). My trial at verticle string trellising has done well despite the likely weather setbacks, but learned a few tips for next time. Next time will use that 4-6" a square horticulture netting instead of strings. Will be easier to tie up bearing side branches. Will stay with this version.

Corn was just a contribution to the critters. Cukes, Okra, Peppers, Egg Plant have done well. Melons have done well. Squash has been disappoiting. Barely enough for fresh eating. None to can. Maybe 3 zuchini so far too. Green beans OK, but disappointing. Should get a late burst. Plants still look good. I seem to have had pollination issues on squashes and pumpkins. But pumpkins are starting to put out fruit.

I should prob quit trying broccoli, except I am going to direct sow some in the next week for the fall run and see how that works out.

Laying cloth for weed control did not inhibit growth and performance. Wish I had done more, if not all areas. Corn prob not feasible, but everything else I plant can go with the cloth.

Drip irrigation was a home run idea, and only cost me $25. Rest was gifted.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here start seeds with a soil blockker, or does everyone just use seed cups?

I'm looking at switching to air prune pots or a soil blocker to get stronger starters.

Tomato production has been less than last year. Same for peppers. Delicata squash has been a bust. Enjoyed good production in 2021, not so since. Not planting them next year.

VN Store

Back