The Golf Thread

I decided yesterday to go on a hiatus. After about 7 years of playing pretty consistently, and seeing solid improvement year over year, about mid 2022 something went wrong with my swing. I've never been able to fix it.

Took 2 lessons, watched countless videos, every "fix" I learn about through any source works for about a week then stops working. I hit all of my irons really weak and really right. I just can't make contact.

Anyone else ever played so bad for so long that they just took a long hiatus from it? I don't shoot under 100 right now, I just can't do it anymore.

I decided yesterday to go on a hiatus. After about 7 years of playing pretty consistently, and seeing solid improvement year over year, about mid 2022 something went wrong with my swing. I've never been able to fix it.

Took 2 lessons, watched countless videos, every "fix" I learn about through any source works for about a week then stops working. I hit all of my irons really weak and really right. I just can't make contact.

Anyone else ever played so bad for so long that they just took a long hiatus from it? I don't shoot under 100 right now, I just can't do it anymore.
My hiatus is going on 12 years now.

I've been there, but usually what happens to me is I end up right back with the same miss. Case in point, between having Covid and a vacation, I just went 6 weeks without playing golf for the first time since I was about 10 years old. I came back on Saturday and played really well. Then played 9 holes on Sunday and my old faithful miss . . . (I refer to it as the slide, block and cuss) . . . was sneaking back in.

My 2 cents would be for you to stop watching Youtube and go take another lesson. Eventually you'll feel what it actually feels like to create solid contact and you'll have something to work with. 9 times out of 10, the problem with folks shooting 100 is that what their body tells them should create a good swing is just wrong and they don't really understand what a good swing should even feel like.

Last edited:
Reactions: peaygolf

Honestly...........Go back to "1st grade" golf.

Focus on good balance and posture. Forget everything else.

The one thing that I teach to every student is. "Give me a perfectly balanced finish, facing the target."
Funniest drill ever . . . When I was about 16, I had a bad habit of letting go when I made a really bad swing for a "one hand on the wheel" finish. My pro gave me a lesson while holding one of those red kick balls . . . which he would launch at me if he saw me let go before I finished under control. Nothing like hitting one sideways and then catching a dodge ball in the skull to remind you to swing to a controlled finish no matter what lol.

Reactions: GBOx2
Funniest drill ever . . . When I was about 16, I had a bad habit of letting go when I made a really bad swing for a "one hand on the wheel" finish. My pro gave me a lesson while holding one of those red kick balls . . . which he would launch at me if he saw me let go before I finished under control. Nothing like hitting one sideways and then catching a dodge ball in the skull to remind you to swing to a controlled finish no matter what lol.

Love that!

Mine would:
Pop me in the chin at set-up with the grip and yell, "Get your chin up dumb-a$$."
Duct taped a pocket knife on my left wrist with the point on the back of my left hand to make sure I didn't flip my wrists on pitch shots
Make me run down the range and pick the the ball I hit if I didn't go through my "routine" before every shot.

I'd get fired today if I was like our instructors. Funny thing is.......That stuff worked and we remembered it and got better.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
@knox-townVOL

I took 5 YEARS off from 2013-2017. I didn't touch a golf club. I wasn't from playing bad, but burn out.

I actually wish I was burnt out lol. I still love it, I want to go play right now. But I just can't hit the ball anymore. Everything is weak and right, like 120 yard 5 iron shots, and I'm lucky to stay out of the woods on those.

Even chipping is awful contact, chips just spin off the face and roll about 15 feet to the right. I miss enjoying golf, this is not enjoyable.

Reactions: peaygolf
I was the assistant pro at Draper Valley in Virginia for 5 years, gave lessons all the time.... played maybe 10 rounds total in 5 years. When i did it for a living i just didn't feel like playing.
I hear that from just about every club pro I've ever talked to.

I hear that from just about every club pro I've ever talked to.
same. When i lived in Myrtle Beach going to Golf Academy i played ALL the time. Had 30 courses i could play for either free or a cart fee. Then once i came back to VA and got that job i rarely ever played.

same. When i lived in Myrtle Beach going to Golf Academy i played ALL the time. Had 30 courses i could play for either free or a cart fee. Then once i came back to VA and got that job i rarely ever played.
I guess it's like anything else. It's fun until somebody starts telling you what you have to do. I don't know how the guys on tour do a couple of practice rounds followed by 4 days of tournament golf, followed by a plane trip and do it all over again. It's no wonder they don't like to play more than 2 weeks in a row.

I actually wish I was burnt out lol. I still love it, I want to go play right now. But I just can't hit the ball anymore. Everything is weak and right, like 120 yard 5 iron shots, and I'm lucky to stay out of the woods on those.

Even chipping is awful contact, chips just spin off the face and roll about 15 feet to the right. I miss enjoying golf, this is not enjoyable.

I don’t know what type of lessons you have had but it sounds like you revert back to “comfortable” bad habits. If you want to get better you have to commit and realize changes are going to feel weird. You will probably think at times there’s no way this is right. In the end that’s why people don’t improve.

Reactions: GBOx2
I don’t know what type of lessons you have had but it sounds like you revert back to “comfortable” bad habits. If you want to get better you have to commit and realize changes are going to feel weird. You will probably think at times there’s no way this is right. In the end that’s why people don’t improve.
club getting stuck behind you, then casting coming over the top?

club getting stuck behind you, then casting coming over the top?

I see that coming more from bad alignment. You get behind a guy and see he’s aiming miles right there’s no option but to come over it. Then they hit a pull that tricks them into thinking it’s straight or a big slice.

I see that coming more from bad alignment. You get behind a guy and see he’s aiming miles right there’s no option but to come over it. Then they hit a pull that tricks them into thinking it’s straight or a big slice.
i'd need to see you swing it to fix it, but im sure its an easy fix

VN Store

Back