The Last of Us Series (HBO)

I wonder if it wasn't a video game(which always makes a good show or movie) would any of you be excited about the premise? Honestly?

I have no idea about the video game and I am excited about this show. The fact that it was a game is the only thing that gives me pause (given the console to movie screen history).

Have not watched the pilot yet. Look at the cast. They got the showrunner from Chernobyl to make this. Look at what the critics are saying. Jump on the bandwagon.

Reactions: 615vols and vols 30
I have no idea about the video game and I am excited about this show. The fact that it was a game is the only thing that gives me pause (given the console to movie screen history).

Have not watched the pilot yet. Look at the cast. They got the showrunner from Chernobyl to make this. Look at what the critics are saying. Jump on the bandwagon.
You shouldn't watch. You won't like it

Last edited:
Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly

Chernobyl might be the best limited series ever.

The guy doesn't have a long history of big projects, but anybody who can produce a show about a historical event of that scale, about another part of the world, and make it that captivating...he can probably do anything.
One of the best mini series, IMO.

Currently, this is the highest rated show ever on IMDb.

I usually stay up a little later but my wife made me go to bed with her because she was so rattled. Great pilot.

Finished the pilot. The beginning of the episode was fantastic. Kinda slowed down toward the end. Didn't play the video games, but plan to keep watching.

Loved episode 1! Im a huge fan of the game and I thought the first episode was fantastic! It balanced staying pretty faithful to the game while being its own thing.

Perhaps a hot take but my biggest confliction with the show is, the casting of Sarah was so great and I found her so adorable, I almost wish she was cast as Ellie so we could see more of her! There was absolutely nothing wrong with Bella Ramsey's performance per say, but Sarah is the character that left the biggest impression on me.

Loved episode 1! Im a huge fan of the game and I thought the first episode was fantastic! It balanced staying pretty faithful to the game while being its own thing.

Perhaps a hot take but my biggest confliction with the show is, the casting of Sarah was so great and I found her so adorable, I almost wish she was cast as Ellie so we could see more of her! There was absolutely nothing wrong with Bella Ramsey's performance per say, but Sarah is the character that left the biggest impression on me.
Her character was great. Didn't play the games so I was kinda shocked when
she died so early in the show.

Thandie Newton's daughter, you can see it a mile away. I knew it before I even looked it up.

Reactions: OptimusPrimerib
Ok watched the first episode. Very well done, the chaos of the world falling apart was full of energy and suspense. Then the second half happened. I'll probably watch the second episode but I'm not overly excited. Hopefully it reminds me of The Stand.

Reactions: happy-go_vol
Ok watched the first episode. Very well done, the chaos of the world falling apart was full of energy and suspense. Then the second half happened. I'll probably watch the second episode but I'm not overly excited. Hopefully it reminds me of The Stand.

What was wrong with the second half?

They always make the daughter in these shows have brains and the be a fool or dumb. The video game dynamic was better than the show. They're making Joel into being very passive. Nothing like the game.

Yeah. My thoughts too

Reactions: bignewt
They always make the daughter in these shows have brains and the be a fool or dumb. The video game dynamic was better than the show. They're making Joel into being very passive. Nothing like the game.

In what way/situation was Joel “very passive”?
Also, episode 1 was pretty on target with what happened in the game. How was it “nothing like” it in your opinion, I’m genuinely curious.

Reactions: YankeeVol
In what way/situation was Joel “very passive”?
Also, episode 1 was pretty on target with what happened in the game. How was it “nothing like” it in your opinion, I’m genuinely curious.

The Joel was way more in charge when they made decisions, in the show he was just sorta there. Also, his relationship with daughter was more of a tradition fatherz- daughter relationship, in the show he was like the forgetful brother. Also, he agreed to take Elie to the fireflies for weapons, not a battery and car, which is dumb. There were scenes where Joel's leadership was evident and it followed the game script. It will be interesting to see if they match the violence of the game.

The Joel was way more in charge when they made decisions, in the show he was just sorta there. Also, his relationship with daughter was more of a tradition fatherz- daughter relationship, in the show he was like the forgetful brother. Also, he agreed to take Elie to the fireflies for weapons, not a battery and car, which is dumb. There were scenes where Joel's leadership was evident and it followed the game script. It will be interesting to see if they match the violence of the game.

Interesting. I felt he wasn’t passive in episode 1. When it all went to hell and they were in the truck driving past the family needing help, tommy was saying what do we do? Sarah wanted to help, but Joel immediately said no keep going, over rode the others and made the call. Even when coming upon the traffic block, he had tommy take the field towards the town, directed him once in the town, etc.
Then at the end, what he did to the guard who caught them was in no way passive.
As far as taking Ellie for a car/battery as opposed to weapons, I don’t view that as a big change. It also isn’t dumb to me, he’s looking for tommy and needs transportation there. What makes that “so dumb” in your opinion. I think the series will definitely have minor changes, they’ve already acknowledged that going in. But as for the main storyline and characters, I thought episode 1 was very well done and gives me hope for the rest.

Not sure how you can determine that based on how little interaction we had between them in the game.

Interesting. I felt he wasn’t passive in episode 1. When it all went to hell and they were in the truck driving past the family needing help, tommy was saying what do we do? Sarah wanted to help, but Joel immediately said no keep going, over rode the others and made the call. Even when coming upon the traffic block, he had tommy take the field towards the town, directed him once in the town, etc.
Then at the end, what he did to the guard who caught them was in no way passive.
As far as taking Ellie for a car/battery as opposed to weapons, I don’t view that as a big change. It also isn’t dumb to me, he’s looking for tommy and needs transportation there. What makes that “so dumb” in your opinion. I think the series will definitely have minor changes, they’ve already acknowledged that going in. But as for the main storyline and characters, I thought episode 1 was very well done and gives me hope for the rest.

I understand it's not going to be exactly as the game. I know he wasn't completely passive as the scenes you mentioned. I'll continue watching to see how it goes.

Reactions: 615vols

VN Store

Back