The mountain is high

99gator

Congressman
I felt this needed its own thread because I think several people are forgetting the mountain the new staff has to climb.

Talking about signature wins, having a shot against Oregon, how the talent has been rated by rivals, etc, etc, etc.

Tennessee has no clue who it's qb is and is running a new system. And I think the cluelessness is genuine. They don't have a decision made and are keeping it hush hush. I think they really don't know.

They have a wr corps that is almost completely inexperienced.

Then, they have to fix one of the worst defenses they have ever fielded.

And the first two major tests are on the road against highly ranked teams on opposite ends of the country.

Now, some of you will say I'm stating the obvious, but I get the sense people will turn on butch jones after Florida week because some of you have already turned him into the man, the myth, the legend. Or, some of you have declared if he doesn't show something almost immediately, he isn't the guy.

The mountain is high. Just remember what they are walking into and give the staff time.

Reactions: 19 people
I will be satisfied if we get to a bowl game, the players play hard for 4 quarters every game, and we field the right number of players all year. Unfortunately, this will be a huge step up from the last 3 years.

Reactions: 5 people
I felt this needed its own thread because I think several people are forgetting the mountain the new staff has to climb.

Talking about signature wins, having a shot against Oregon, how the talent has been rated by rivals, etc, etc, etc.

Tennessee has no clue who it's qb is and is running a new system. And I think the cluelessness is genuine. They don't have a decision made and are keeping it hush hush. I think they really don't know.

And the first two major tests are on the road against highly ranked teams on opposite ends of the country.

Now, some of you will say I'm stating the obvious, but I get the sense people will turn on butch jones after Florida week because some of you have already turned him into the man, the myth, the legend. Or, some of you have declared if he doesn't show something almost immediately, he isn't the guy.

The mountain is high. Just remember what they are walking into and give the staff time.

Butch?

Reactions: 3 people
I think most people are realistic and don't have huge expectations for this year. But, then you have your idiots and UF fans..

Reactions: 8 people

I see an OP that is bored and needing to stir it up or act condescending to the underpriveleged. This is similar stuff that was being said on UF message boards as Muschamp came in.

The D went from top 30 to over #100 because of a horrible scheme and bad coaches. They are gone and being returned to the style of D that was in the top 30. The players are essentially the same players that were top 30. The O needs the right trigger man and WR's, but returns the best O-line in the SEC with experienced RB's if Lane is indeed coming back.

If we turn on Jones for incompetency that is our business. This ain't our first rodeo with flakey, bad coaches of late. However, if he does what it appears he and his staff are capable of doing a turnaround will come sooner rather than later. So yes, we expect to make a bowl game this season and start being a factor in the division the next season.

Reactions: 4 people
Just like most fan bases you have the lunatic fringe that pump sunshine all day. I for one have said all along that if we pull out 7 wins this fall then we are ahead of schedule.

One thing that opposing fans need to realize as well - our defense is not as far off as you think. Prior to the Sunseri apocalypse we weren't horrid, we have some talent and playing a better base scheme to fit the talent will carry them a long way. I firmly believe that we will be much improved on the defensive side because the players will be able to play instead of think.

People are confusing the recruiting success with football success - and while its good to win the recruiting battles none of those guys we be on campus for at least a year.

Reactions: 1 person
I am looking for a full 4 quarter competitive team, no quit, this year. Of course like all fans, would like to win every game, but I know that is not going to happen. Getting to a bowl game this year would equate to success IMO. I still think the Vols finish regular season 7-5 (Oregon, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Alabama) which would be huge for CBJ's first season. UT is coming back and opponents will fear playing in Neyland again.

Just like most fan bases you have the lunatic fringe that pump sunshine all day. I for one have said all along that if we pull out 7 wins this fall then we are ahead of schedule.

One thing that opposing fans need to realize as well - our defense is not as far off as you think. Prior to the Sunseri apocalypse we weren't horrid, we have some talent and playing a better base scheme to fit the talent will carry them a long way. I firmly believe that we will be much improved on the defensive side because the players will be able to play instead of think.

People are confusing the recruiting success with football success - and while its good to win the recruiting battles none of those guys we be on campus for at least a year.

28th in the nation in total defense the year before SAL

Was actually the worst UT defense ever, I believe.

I will be satisfied if we get to a bowl game, the players play hard for 4 quarters every game, and we field the right number of players all year. Unfortunately, this will be a huge step up from the last 3 years.

In order to get to a bowl game, we will have to win all of the games that we are predicted to win. Then we will have to win a couple of games that we are NOT favored to win. Such as a game against Vandy or Missouri; in which we are 4 or 5 point underdogs.

Then once in a bowl game, we will be the lower seeded team, so we will play a better performing team in the bowl game.

Yes, you may be right, people may begn to turn against Butch at some point in the season. That is why he is trying to say all of the right things, be at the right places, and always have a smile.

He knows that our fan base; for the most part, is not patient. So, with by being a likeable guy, he can buy more time, until we actually get a championship caliber team on the field.....

I don't believe we have a chance at either of those. What I want to see is the team improve through the season and be better as the season progresses.

I want to see them win the last 3 and go 6-6. That should be a realistic expectation.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 2 people
When you break it down to a cold talent vs talent analysis, 6-6 is probably to be expected.

But Derek Dooley isn't on the sidelines, Sal Sunseri is off stuffing his face in Tallahassee, and we finally have a coach who knows how to win.

Forgive me for being excited.

Reactions: 3 people

Why don't you worry about MusChump and remember his last game. He looked like a clueless idiot in the Sugar Bowl. You may not be as good as you think you are going to be.

And take your condescending crap back where it belongs.

Reactions: 7 people
Why don't you worry about MusChump and remember his last game. He looked like a clueless idiot in the Sugar Bowl. You may not be as good as you think you are going to be.

And take your condescending crap back where it belongs.

How do you have a username of Bear Bryant?

Reactions: 7 people
I think most on here are expecting a 6-7 win season, which is more than possible. I haven't seen any reasonable fan on here expecting anything other than losses for Oregon, Florida, Georgia, and Bama. I don't think the fanbase will turn on him if significant improvement is shown on the defensive side and overall team character. It's a successful season if we beat everybody we are supposed to.

While most of what you say might be true, I don't think most fans expectations are too lofty. 95% of our fans (including me) are in that 6-8 win range. If that's not realistic I don't know what is. 1)Are you telling me that Ole Piss and Vandy can have winning seasons last year with less talent but we can't win 7 this year? Serious question.
2) You do know that Oregon travels cross country to UVA the week before playing us don't you? So are you insinuating that a cross country trip will be more difficult for us than it will be for Oregon? Serious question.

3) Who are UF's WRs?

Okay...in all fairness I took a jab at you on question 3. Only because I like you....but I am interested to see who steps up for UF. Because for about 5-6 years the WR position at UF has been...well we'll just say that "next Percy Harvin" has yet to step up and materialize.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back