The mountain is high

ok...

i'll start with defense.

they will play 7 or 8 d-lineman and they are all solid or better. can't afford to have easley get hurt as he is the only better than solid at the d-tackle spot.

the starters at linebacker are good, but the backups are children. not to say that backup won't be good, but they are just extremely young. antonio morrison is the one player who can not get hurt.

at defensive back, they have more corners than they know what to do with. safety may be the weakest position on the defense, which is not to say this will be a huge problem area. but, again, it is the weakest spot on defense.

the big loss is matt elam because he was the heart beat of the defense and don't know if his leadership can be replaced.

it will be a stout defense. the quality at the corner position may allow them to get more exotic with some defensive calls as they are going to feel fairly confident manning up against most teams.

offense

the most improved area of the offense should be the offensive line. they have 8 or 9 lineman that they feel comfortable playing in a game. chaz green may lose his starting spot. don't know exactly how good it will be but the matador pass protection should be a thing of the past.

running backs

matt jones will fill in fine for gillislee. kelvin taylor is a typical freshman. good with the ball, not very good without the ball. mack brown has a history of fumbling problems, but supposedly has been holding onto the ball.

qb

if you believe the coaches, if you ranked the problems with the florida passing game, qb would have been 3rd. no wr to threaten a defense and no pass protection is a rough thing to deal with. well, pass protection will be better. wr corps? not really. however, they do have some people that they can send deep. the big play threat will no longer be a converted qb. the offense is not going to depend on the right arm of driskel. but, they should be a more credible threat in the passing game, which will help all the way around.

wr

still blah. they believe they have found some freshman, but they are freshman. expect demarcus robinson to make some impact. improved pass protection will give these guys a better chance to get open. they also do have a couple of people with speed that will threaten a defense deep.

special teams

should be strong all the way around. don't know if you can really replace sturgis, but they expect the kicking to be fine. coverage and return units should be strong.

overall

it's pretty much the same team. it will rely on defense and special teams. the offense will pound away, but has some personnel to hit the deep one on occasion and generate a big play, something they did not have last season.

schedule

same schedule. traded @ texas a&m for a home game with arkansas.

Okay--thanks for the info. I think you're kidding yourself if you think ANY of your returning DL are as good as Floyd--He, Elam, the guy in the middle, and your MLB made the defense last year. You do have some suspect DBs--but they didn't get exposed last year because of Floyd disrupting everything by penetrating into the backfield. I do agree with you that the DL will be the strongest unit on the field for Fla.

If your OL is the strong point--why are there 2 guys coming from other schools who are projected as starters? Makes me question just how good the depth will be on your OL. No stud WRs--but Burton is a weapon anywhere he lines up. Without him last year, you don't beat us! No stud RBs--so you must depend on young, inexperienced RBs and an average QB. Driskel does have the advantage of being able to run out of trouble--but he definitely can stink up a game--which one will show up?

Teams are gonna load the box and make Driskel beat them throwing the ball. He may be good enough to get it done against us (this year)--but it ain't gonna win you an SEC crown.

I agree with you that this Fla team will be much like last year's--but I don't think it will be as good. Pressure definitely on WM--and realistically could end up 8-4. I believe 9-3 is reality.

I notice that you didn't predict a record--with basically the same team--are you predicting 10-2? :salute:

Reactions: 1 person
How do you eat an elephant, or a gator, or a tiger? One bite at a time, minute by minute, day by day, month by month, game by game.

Jones is doing work.

Reactions: 2 people
21-23-1....the combined record of the 3 teams Sal has been DC at over 4 years. I couldn't find stats for 1994 Illinois State or 1998-1999 Alabama A&M just records. But a losing record along with heading up the ABSOLUTE worst defense in Tennessee history simply is not a ringing endorsement for Sal. All the while, UGA won 48 games during Jancecks 5 year stent in the toughest league in America.

Hopefully Sal can do for FSU what he did for UT.

Do you know anything about football? He installed a 3-4. Takes time and correct personnel recruiting to be effective. For ANY program. Did you think the D would be stellar the first season?!?! You think the D was bad last season? Wait 'til Jancek gets hold of it!

We did not expect stellar, status quo would have been enough.

Jancek may not be a great coach, but just by going back to the 4-3 our team will get better.

Plus, you forget that people can learn from past experiences, Jancek is not the same coach that he was at Georgia.

And finally, the head coach is Butch Jones, that is a BIG difference from the Jancek of the past. :hi:

Anyone who know football knows my point. Saban doesn't hire bad football people. You think Jancek is a better SEC coach?!?! Let's discuss!

He's a career position coach. As posted above Bama sure fell off when he left. Heck, Saban even brought ole Lance home and never missed a beat.

When he lands another DC job at a top school and last more than a year you can revisit your point. Until then is a position coach and nothing more.

21-23-1....the combined record of the 3 teams Sal has been DC at over 4 years. I couldn't find stats for 1994 Illinois State or 1998-1999 Alabama A&M just records. But a losing record along with heading up the ABSOLUTE worst defense in Tennessee history simply is not a ringing endorsement for Sal. All the while, UGA won 48 games during Jancecks 5 year stent in the toughest league in America.

John Jancek, fundamentally speaking | Get The Picture

Read the link, then scroll down and read some of the follow-up quotes at the bottom.

John Jancek, fundamentally speaking | Get The Picture

Read the link, then scroll down and read some of the follow-up quotes at the bottom.

Guess I will quote some random vol fans on how UGA's D is going to play this year.

We get your point. With a defense as bad as Sal's we have nowhere to go but up. One thing you seem to refuse to understand is that a person can change philosophy and coaching style as well.

I seem to remember not too long ago people said the same thing about Chavis - 3rd and Chavis - 7 yards off the ball at all times. Just depends on your perspective.

Fact is none of us know what to expect this year - so why don't we wait and see?

I felt this needed its own thread because I think several people are forgetting the mountain the new staff has to climb.

Talking about signature wins, having a shot against Oregon, how the talent has been rated by rivals, etc, etc, etc.

Tennessee has no clue who it's qb is and is running a new system. And I think the cluelessness is genuine. They don't have a decision made and are keeping it hush hush. I think they really don't know.

They have a wr corps that is almost completely inexperienced.

Then, they have to fix one of the worst defenses they have ever fielded.

And the first two major tests are on the road against highly ranked teams on opposite ends of the country.

Now, some of you will say I'm stating the obvious, but I get the sense people will turn on butch jones after Florida week because some of you have already turned him into the man, the myth, the legend. Or, some of you have declared if he doesn't show something almost immediately, he isn't the guy.

The mountain is high. Just remember what they are walking into and give the staff time.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that I enjoy more than coming to this board and being condescendingly lectured by someone like 99gator as to what is wrong with TN and why we will be poor again this year....It always makes my day.....Of course, when the Vols start winning [and they may surprise a lot of folks this year] such crud as this will suddenly disappear along with 99gator and his/her ilk....In the meantime, I just sit here and enjoy the lecture....

fried gater, boiled gater, baked gater, grilled gater, stuffed gater, mullet gater, jort gater, crocked gater..f.o.s. gater....... :crazy:

GO VOLS..
GO BIG ORANGE........... :rock:

Agree with all but no.1. Predicting wins/losses is just impossible to do at this point. I think 6 is on the low side. 8 would be on the high side. As u said...we were in the majority of our losses in the fourth quarter the last couple of years. With better leadership, coaching, and conditioning who knows who many we could win.

So.... you're predicting 7?

VN Store

Back