The mountain is high

UT fans are the least patient in the SEC, probably all of CFB. Which is not always a bad thing. But UT fans also can be the most unrealistic in SEC/CFB, as my Gator colleague astutely pointed out.

Absolutely comical. Down here in Dawgland, y'all were ready to run Richt out of town just a couple of years ago, but we're the impatient, crazy ones.

Reactions: 2 people
It kills me that you people out up with this **** from the jort wearing swamp people and the North Florida Bulldogs.

Grow a pair.

Troll central up in here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
:twocents:
I felt this needed its own thread because I think several people are forgetting the mountain the new staff has to climb.

Talking about signature wins, having a shot against Oregon, how the talent has been rated by rivals, etc, etc, etc.

Tennessee has no clue who it's qb is and is running a new system. And I think the cluelessness is genuine. They don't have a decision made and are keeping it hush hush. I think they really don't know.

They have a wr corps that is almost completely inexperienced.

Then, they have to fix one of the worst defenses they have ever fielded.

And the first two major tests are on the road against highly ranked teams on opposite ends of the country.

Now, some of you will say I'm stating the obvious, but I get the sense people will turn on butch jones after Florida week because some of you have already turned him into the man, the myth, the legend. Or, some of you have declared if he doesn't show something almost immediately, he isn't the guy.

The mountain is high. Just remember what they are walking into and give the staff time.

Tell your fellow Florida fans on a Florida message board what Florida's expectations should be. Just my :twocents: :p

I felt this needed its own thread because I think several people are forgetting the mountain the new staff has to climb.

Talking about signature wins, having a shot against Oregon, how the talent has been rated by rivals, etc, etc, etc.

Tennessee has no clue who it's qb is and is running a new system. And I think the cluelessness is genuine. They don't have a decision made and are keeping it hush hush. I think they really don't know.

And the first two major tests are on the road against highly ranked teams on opposite ends of the country.

Now, some of you will say I'm stating the obvious, but I get the sense people will turn on butch jones after Florida week because some of you have already turned him into the man, the myth, the legend. Or, some of you have declared if he doesn't show something almost immediately, he isn't the guy.

The mountain is high. Just remember what they are walking into and give the staff time.

Good points, but why are you making them? We don't really need a gator to state the obvious. And believe me, that is the obvious. Don't be fooled by overzealous fans that make outlandish statements, most of us know the challenges this coaching staff faces.

:hi:

Seems others have already stated my sentiments. Freak, can we adopt a rule where opposing fans cannot start threads? I feel dirty having contributed to this nonsense. In fact, mods feel free to delete my comments from the thread.

Just like most fan bases you have the lunatic fringe that pump sunshine all day. I for one have said all along that if we pull out 7 wins this fall then we are ahead of schedule.

One thing that opposing fans need to realize as well - our defense is not as far off as you think. Prior to the Sunseri apocalypse we weren't horrid, we have some talent and playing a better base scheme to fit the talent will carry them a long way. I firmly believe that we will be much improved on the defensive side because the players will be able to play instead of think.

People are confusing the recruiting success with football success - and while its good to win the recruiting battles none of those guys we be on campus for at least a year.

Butch be pumping the shine Bro.

Get us to a bowl game for the "practice" & the "recruiton" of more of these jimmies & joes.

Last edited:

That's a good post and thanks for the reminder. We don't want to get our hopes beyond reasonable expectations, but it does appear that Butch has more of a clue than anyone really expected when he was named HC. I don't think anyone is gonna turn on him this year--He has worked extremely hard at re-energizing the fan base--and he will get a pass for the most part on this year (everyone willing to blame CDD for many things).

MOST of the problem on our D last year was scheme, coaching, lack of speed at key positions, and confidence in that order. Sometimes 1 year makes a HUGE difference.

I believe they do have a plan and know who will start at QB--but may not know if the initial starter will be the finisher. What I hope we develop is a serious running game behind our O-line--and improve from there.

We know our problems are significant, but what about the Gators? I would really like to hear your thoughts on your own team for once!

You have some significant obstacles to overcome on both Offense and Defense. Your QB hasn't proven he can get it done in the big games (UGA, LSU, Louisville). You have some significant questions to answer on the OL, WR, and RB, too.

You lost the CORE of your defense--2 DL, 2 LB, and Elam in the secondary. You have some great athletes, but how are they gonna react? You have a very favorable schedule--so what are your real expectations from the Gators? Will you be satisfied with 10-2 or 9-3? Even with your schedule, 9-3 is a realistic possibility. Anything below SEC East champions for the Gators is a failure. The PRESSURE is on you guys, not on the VOLS! What do you think about that?

I think the VOLS have an outside chance to be 8-4--but I expect them to finish 7-5. GO VOLS! :salute:

That's a good post and thanks for the reminder. We don't want to get our hopes beyond reasonable expectations, but it does appear that Butch has more of a clue than anyone really expected when he was named HC. I don't think anyone is gonna turn on him this year--He has worked extremely hard at re-energizing the fan base--and he will get a pass for the most part on this year (everyone willing to blame CDD for many things).

MOST of the problem on our D last year was scheme, coaching, lack of speed at key positions, and confidence in that order. Sometimes 1 year makes a HUGE difference.

I believe they do have a plan and know who will start at QB--but may not know if the initial starter will be the finisher. What I hope we develop is a serious running game behind our O-line--and improve from there.

We know our problems are significant, but what about the Gators? I would really like to hear your thoughts on your own team for once!

You have some significant obstacles to overcome on both Offense and Defense. Your QB hasn't proven he can get it done in the big games (UGA, LSU, Louisville). You have some significant questions to answer on the OL, WR, and RB, too.

You lost the CORE of your defense--2 DL, 2 LB, and Elam in the secondary. You have some great athletes, but how are they gonna react? You have a very favorable schedule--so what are your real expectations from the Gators? Will you be satisfied with 10-2 or 9-3? Even with your schedule, 9-3 is a realistic possibility. Anything below SEC East champions for the Gators is a failure. The PRESSURE is on you guys, not on the VOLS! What do you think about that?

I think the VOLS have an outside chance to be 8-4--but I expect them to finish 7-5. GO VOLS! :salute:

because it's a vol board, i generally don't post anything about the gators.

if you are sure you want me to post an outlook for florida, i will

Florida fans will be giving Muschamp hell after Florida loses to LSU,Georgia,South Carolina and maybe FSU

Seems others have already stated my sentiments. Freak, can we adopt a rule where opposing fans cannot start threads? I feel dirty having contributed to this nonsense. In fact, mods feel free to delete my comments from the thread.

You nasty VFL, go grab a tub of your favorite ice-cream & share it with other dirty Vols.

Up on Rocky Top, the view is starting to get clearer.

good post 99,the mountain is all ways high in the SEC,CBJ has done a lot of good things so far,but it will be great to see how the season plays out,i think he will need 3 to 4 years ,to get everything going his way,which he won't be given

i expect around 6 wins,give or take 1 and if he does only win 5 games this year,a bunch of fans will start calling for him to be fired immediately, and just admit it,your a Vol fan too :tease2:

Sure 6-6 is the baseline expectation, 5-7 is a mild disappointment and 4 or less wins sux bad. But 7-5 is certainly doable and under the right circumstances up to 9 wins are possible but a long shot.

I personally think at this point it is 7-5 with AL, FL, OR, being a little too much. But we aren't the only ones with questions to answer, look how many GA players have to be replaced on D. Clowney was already banged up in Spring Training, AL lost the O-line.

Our D will be better because of the 4-3, that worked pretty good for some of our athletes under Wilcox. McCullers is being coached up and slimmed down for agility and endurance. I think the conditioning program will result in many less injuries than last year. AJ and Magitt healthy together will be a plus again this season. We should be able to run against anyone and this new kid Hill may be our best running back! In Spring games, the timing obviously wasn't there and the playbook was all-new. The team will work through the Summer and this will help them to feel each other out and get the timing down. We also have possibly our best WR coming to camp in North. And if Worley/Peterman don't step up, I can assure that Ferguson/Dobbs/Walk-on will.

Bottom Line: Better Coaches, better Recruits, better players overall (with skill position concerns), much better enthusiasm, better discipline, and higher expectations will result in a team that out-performs their talent level by a game or two! ...even with that ugly old schedule.

Last edited:
We are in very good hands with Butch. He is passionate about being the coach of Tennessee. He is about building relationships. He knows recruiting is the life blood of any program and he has done a magnificent job in a short amount of time. He is proven. He needs patience, and patience is what he will get. Any bowl game this year would be great.

YES! I really do want your prognostication for the Gators--

ok...

i'll start with defense.

they will play 7 or 8 d-lineman and they are all solid or better. can't afford to have easley get hurt as he is the only better than solid at the d-tackle spot.

the starters at linebacker are good, but the backups are children. not to say that backup won't be good, but they are just extremely young. antonio morrison is the one player who can not get hurt.

at defensive back, they have more corners than they know what to do with. safety may be the weakest position on the defense, which is not to say this will be a huge problem area. but, again, it is the weakest spot on defense.

the big loss is matt elam because he was the heart beat of the defense and don't know if his leadership can be replaced.

it will be a stout defense. the quality at the corner position may allow them to get more exotic with some defensive calls as they are going to feel fairly confident manning up against most teams.

offense

the most improved area of the offense should be the offensive line. they have 8 or 9 lineman that they feel comfortable playing in a game. chaz green may lose his starting spot. don't know exactly how good it will be but the matador pass protection should be a thing of the past.

running backs

matt jones will fill in fine for gillislee. kelvin taylor is a typical freshman. good with the ball, not very good without the ball. mack brown has a history of fumbling problems, but supposedly has been holding onto the ball.

qb

if you believe the coaches, if you ranked the problems with the florida passing game, qb would have been 3rd. no wr to threaten a defense and no pass protection is a rough thing to deal with. well, pass protection will be better. wr corps? not really. however, they do have some people that they can send deep. the big play threat will no longer be a converted qb. the offense is not going to depend on the right arm of driskel. but, they should be a more credible threat in the passing game, which will help all the way around.

wr

still blah. they believe they have found some freshman, but they are freshman. expect demarcus robinson to make some impact. improved pass protection will give these guys a better chance to get open. they also do have a couple of people with speed that will threaten a defense deep.

special teams

should be strong all the way around. don't know if you can really replace sturgis, but they expect the kicking to be fine. coverage and return units should be strong.

overall

it's pretty much the same team. it will rely on defense and special teams. the offense will pound away, but has some personnel to hit the deep one on occasion and generate a big play, something they did not have last season.

schedule

same schedule. traded @ texas a&m for a home game with arkansas.

Butch and co - gonna do it with smoke and mirrors -- yep we have averaged 8th or 9th in the conference in recruiting the past 4 years -- but Butch gets it - so look for us winning the conference title this year. Anything less will be a total failure and we will need to replace Butch immediately. Pump it up.

Sunseri is a career position coach that lucked up when we were stupid enough to make the offer and write the check.

I guess at worst he helped usher Dooley out the door a year or two early. For that he deserves credit.

No doubt. He deserves his buyout for helping get Dooley canned, JMO.

And did the dawg fan just say Sal is "a very good coach?" I think he did. Boy they sure missed him in Bama didn't they?

I agree 100%. Not only a D coordinator, but a HC too. 2 games off the top of my head (UGA, Miss St.) where blown TOs due to personel mismanagement came back to bite us late in the game when we needed a TO. And the clock mismanagement debacle against Mizzou as well. A remotely competent DC and HC and I honestly think last years team was a 9-10 win team after a bowl game.

Seriously. Look at the Patrino Arkansas teams. We're they that different than last yrs UT teams? Great offenses, average defenses, middle of the pack talent (sec wise). Insert John L. Smith and that same Arkansas team that smashed us the previous season rapidly became......us in a sense.

That's why I'm higher on this years team than some. Not that 7 wins is out of this world. But IMO most are viewing us as a 5-7 team that lost our best players. Last year was a 9-10 win team (talent wise) that lost its best offensive skill players in my eyes. Leaving me to believe that if coached up this is a 7-8 win team after a bowl.

Very good post AC.

YouTube

No doubt. He deserves his buyout for helping get Dooley canned, JMO.

And did the dawg fan just say Sal is "a very good coach?" I think he did. Boy they sure missed him in Bama didn't they?

Anyone who know football knows my point. Saban doesn't hire bad football people. You think Jancek is a better SEC coach?!?! Let's discuss!

VN Store

Back