The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I wouldn’t want to coach my son in college. And wouldn’t wanna play for my dad either. I wonder what the ratio is of players and coaches on the subject. For and against.

Last edited:
Reactions: Willy14
I was in the “resources spent on Jett were wasted” club as long as Dad was the coach at Michigan. Still stand by my position. If Dad leaves then the situation has changed.
That doesn’t make sense though? We can’t retroactively recruit him, so if you recruited him based on the potential of Howard not being the coach then it’s the same regardless.

I wouldn’t want to coach my son in college. And wouldn’t wanna play for my dad either. I wonder what the ratio is of players and coaches on the subject. For and against.
It feels like more than 50% do, especially if you eliminate the coach at a high level/player not at that level instances.

That doesn’t make sense though? We can’t retroactively recruit him, so if you recruited him based on the potential of Howard not being the coach then it’s the same regardless.
Makes perfect sense to me. His dad is the Michigan coach and everyone knew he was going there and he did.

Under your logic we should recruit every good player even when we know they’re going elsewhere because the situation may change a year or 2 later and we might want them via portal. That sounds great on the surface except that we don’t have unlimited recruiting resources so they should be allocated where we are most likely to have success. JMO

Makes perfect sense to me. His dad is the Michigan coach and everyone knew he was going there and he did.

Under your logic we should recruit every good player even when we know they’re going elsewhere because the situation may change a year or 2 later and we might want them via portal. That sounds great on the surface except that we don’t have unlimited recruiting resources so they should be allocated where we are most likely to have success. JMO
You're failing to acknowledge that almost every bit of the recruiting resources spent on Jett Howard was done by Tennessee's Video Coordinator, IIRC, or some other off-floor, lower-level staffer (someone who cannot recruit off campus). We wasted nothing in terms of our actual coaches (head coach and 3 assistant coaches) on actively pursuing Jett Howard away from campus anywhere that we weren't already at scouting another player. The risk was less than minimal, as was the chances of landing him. But in the slim chance his dad's situation changed, we had a relationship few, if any other coaches had. And it cost us next to nothing to develop it.

Reactions: TheMookieMonster

If they’re a fit absolutely, Tennessee already casts a small net, with the way transfers and coach movements are absolutely.

It’s funny people wanna poo poo Key and yet that projection would have him as 3rd best player

I’m not completely down on Key, but I’m just skeptical about pretty much any player transferring from a non-Power 5 conference. You just have no idea how things will translate against better competition. The shoulder surgery is a huge concern for me as well.

At least with Collins he played in the A10 which is arguably some of the best competition that isn’t P5, so I have more faith his skills will translate.

I’m not completely down on Key, but I’m just skeptical about pretty much any player transferring from a non-Power 5 conference. You just have no idea how things will translate against better competition. The shoulder surgery is a huge concern for me as well.

At least with Collins he played in the A10 which is arguably some of the best competition that isn’t P5, so I have more faith his skills will translate.
MVC is solid, and he’s played well against Loyola who again has essentially been a P5 team last 4-5 years it seems. I get there’s some questions with mid major guys, some pan out and some don’t, but I like that he wouldn’t be relied on as a huge piece, if he doesn’t pan out ok, but if he does it’s a nice addition. Texas Tech is pushing hard for him, and our fan base is out here crapping on whether we want him as ~10th man.

Jett showed interest; I think it makes sense to be second place on guys now due to the crazy transfers, especially if you’re not using a main coach

VN Store

Back