The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

#24 in athletic poll:

UCLA, Kentucky, Arkansas lead Seth Davis' way-too-early top 25 for 2022-23

24. Tennessee

Key departures: Kennedy Chandler, 6-0 Fr.; John Fulkerson, 6-9 Sr.; Victor Bailey Jr., 6-4 Sr.

Key returnees: Santiago Vescovi, 6-3 Sr.; Josiah-Jordan James, 6-6 Sr.; Olivier Nkamhoua, 6-8 Sr.; Uros Plavsic, 7-0 Sr.; Brandon-Huntley Hatfield, 6-10 Soph.

Incoming: B.J. Edwards, 6-3 Fr.

Chandler is a virtual lock to go in the first round, so he’s likely to leave. Vescovi and James are likely to test the waters, but if they come back that means the Volunteers will only lose one starter from the SEC tourney champs. Edwards is a four-star guard from Knoxville, but he’s the only high school signee as of now, so Rick Barnes will have to have a good run in the portal to keep Tennessee in the SEC race.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Just another hack poll posted the day after the championship, so we shall see
It will be. Would like to see us projected higher though.
This isn't a knock at Barnes though, just follows an interesting stat I saw when making my CBB bracket this year. Over 80% of the time the team who wins the title was a pre season top 10 team. On the flip side, un ranked teams like Arizona this past season struggle to make it out of the first weekend. It's like a 70% rate they lose early.

#24 in athletic poll:

24. Tennessee

Key departures: Kennedy Chandler, 6-0 Fr.; John Fulkerson, 6-9 Sr.; Victor Bailey Jr., 6-4 Sr.

Key returnees: Santiago Vescovi, 6-3 Sr.; Josiah-Jordan James, 6-6 Sr.; Olivier Nkamhoua, 6-8 Sr.; Uros Plavsic, 7-0 Sr.; Brandon-Huntley Hatfield, 6-10 Soph.

Chandler is a virtual lock to go in the first round, so he’s likely to leave. Vescovi and James are likely to test the waters, but if they come back that means the Volunteers will only lose one starter from the SEC tourney champs. Edwards is a four-star guard from Knoxville, but he’s the only high school signee as of now, so Rick Barnes will have to have a good run in the portal to keep Tennessee in the SEC race.

Zakai not being listed as a key returner makes this poll null and void.

Chaminade is 8-96, overall, in the Maui Invitational as the host school. However, they have beaten some good schools to get those 8 wins, including a Rick Barnes-coached Texas team in 2012. I'm sure he will remind his Tennessee team of that if they are matched up.

Other wins include Oklahoma, Cal, Villanova, Stanford, Providence, Princeton, and Davidson.

Tennessee has defeated them twice; 86-60 in 2011, and 95-81 in 2016.

Reactions: berryvol
Chaminade is 8-96, overall, in the Maui Invitational as the host school. However, they have beaten some good schools to get those 8 wins, including a Rick Barnes-coached Texas team in 2012. I'm sure he will remind his Tennessee team of that if they are matched up.

Other wins include Oklahoma, Cal, Villanova, Stanford, Providence, Princeton, and Davidson.

Tennessee has defeated them twice; 86-60 in 2011, and 95-81 in 2016.
So what you're saying is prepare for a weekend at Barnes

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
#24 in athletic poll:

24. Tennessee

I think if we only lose the departures listed even without portal help we'll be in the SEC race. Auburn loses more production than we do, as does Kentucky and LSU is going to be a dumpster fire this season.

Pre-season I'd say the top favorites have to be Kentucky, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Alabama. Auburn has some solid recruits incoming but don't think any are on the same level as Jabari. Arkansas/Alabama have got the top 2 classes incoming (and both have at least 5 commits).

I don't think they win the SEC, but I think Vandy is going to be a dark horse to make some waves. 4th rated class in SEC and if they return all they should and everyone gets healthy they could be an interesting team.

Reactions: Volprofch05
Arky fans going through exactly what we did when we brought in the 2020 class.

Elite recruits don't translate to wins by themselves. No guarantee they even pan out. ex Corey Walker. If Williams stays in the draft then they'll be relying way too much on freshmen.

One & done's, imo, are only really beneficial if you have talented experience to go around them.

Arky fans going through exactly what we did when we brought in the 2020 class.

Elite recruits don't translate to wins by themselves. No guarantee they even pan out. ex Corey Walker. If Williams stays in the draft then they'll be relying way too much on freshmen.

One & done's, imo, are only really beneficial if you have talented experience to go around them.

Also, it's not Musselman's MO as a coach to be able to quickly develop 1 & done players.

2019 Transfers:
Umude
Iyiola
Notae
Whitt

Vanover
Cylla

2020 Transfers:
Justin Smith
Vance Jackson
Jalen Tate

2021 Transfers:
Trey Wade
Jaxson Robinson
Au'Diese Toney
Chris Lykes

Last edited:
Also, it's not Musselman's MO as a coach to be able to quickly develop 1 & done players.

2019 Transfers:
Umude
Iyiola
Notae
Whitt

Vanover
Cylla

2020 Transfers:
Justin Smith
Vance Jackson
Jalen Tate

2021 Transfers:
Trey Wade
Jaxson Robinson
Au'Diese Toney
Chris Lykes

He did with Moses Moody, but that was really his only 5* so far. I’d still expect Arkansas to add 2-3 more transfers to get a little more experience on the roster.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
He did with Moses Moody, but that was really his only 5* so far. I’d still expect Arkansas to add 2-3 more transfers to get a little more experience on the roster.

Technically Moody wasn't a 5 star, but that's been his only one and done thus far. And he was a top 50 kid coming outta HS.

I’m not saying Kennedy will do this, he’s gone 100%. But I do wonder, with the NIL being a thing, what’s the legality behind the NCAA saying you can’t come back if you hire an agent? Wonder if they can legally do that, and if it would hold up in court. Has anyone ever tried fighting it?

I’m not saying Kennedy will do this, he’s gone 100%. But I do wonder, with the NIL being a thing, what’s the legality behind the NCAA saying you can’t come back if you hire an agent? Wonder if they can legally do that, and if it would hold up in court. Has anyone ever tried fighting it?

The rule changed in 2018, you could hire an agent then and still return.

VN Store

Back